• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Weapons Locker

Hotshot

Freebooter
Storm Modder
I do hope that hasn't been answered yet... at least I couldn't find anything via search :-\

I've got me a shiny new ship with which I can finally get to boarding other ships. Now I have some questions about the weapons locker for the crew:
  • I've got 520 crew members: how many swords do I need to put in? I'd say 520 but I read somewhere you only need "as many as crew that are actually fighting in the battle" -> how many would that be?
  • Do they use pistols and muskets? I guess so, 'cause there's ammo for that in the locker (but no weapons)
  • How do I fill the weapons locker with ammo? If I put 520 pistols in it, I would need at least 520 shots! But there is currently only 62x Gunpowder, 55x Bullets, 66x Grapeshots, 35x Balls (Musket)
  • Would they use armor?
Thanks for any tips & pointers!

cheers mates!

Weapons are given to each individual crewmember that is logged into the boarding location.
Probably 30 swords would be enough. They give the weapons back afterwards, unless they die.
Keep an eye on the contents to check if there are less after a while.

They should indeed use pistols, muskets, armour, potions and even cursed coins.

You don't need to supply your crew with ammo; they "take their own". (Read: They don't actually use any. ;) )

Note that the Weaponslocker and the Ammo Locker aren't the same.
Weaponslocker is in your cabin and the Ammo Locker is on a Gun Deck/Cargo Hold somewhere.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up!

(and I already have 400 excellent Cutlasses... ah well^^)

Last edited:
Your crew gets Cutlasses by default if there is nothing else in the Weaponslocker.
So supplying them with more Cutlasses of better quality would not give you a significant advantage...

Your crew gets Cutlasses by default if there is nothing else in the Weaponslocker.
So supplying them with more Cutlasses of better quality would not give you a significant advantage...
Except that the weapons they take into battle can deteriorate the same way yours can. A crewman might take an Excellent cutlass out of the Weapons Locker and put a Fine cutlass back. Keep going long enough and the entire contents of the Weapons Locker will be Fine cutlasses, plus the occasional Good one which has been returned. And so on...

But as @Pieter Boelen says, dump the cutlasses and get some decent swords. And, for preference, some armour as well. Your crew live a lot longer and enemy crew live a lot less when your mob are carrying swept-hilt rapiers and battle armour.

Alternatively, keep the cutlasses until you've acquired better weapons from dead enemies. You automatically loot the weapons from anyone you kill yourself, but don't forget to loot the bodies of anyone your crew killed. And, for that matter, the bodies of your own crew, especially after you start giving them better stuff. Personally I buy armour for my officers and myself as soon as battle armour, and subsequently gold armour, becomes available. The crew get any armour I find in chests, plus the battle armour I bought for the officers when all the officers have gold armour. I have never bought any weapons - all the swords and guns carried by my officers and crew are second-hand, so to speak, and even my own is usually either the ex-property of an ex-enemy or something I found in a dungeon.

Except that the weapons they take into battle can deteriorate the same way yours can. A crewman might take an Excellent cutlass out of the Weapons Locker and put a Fine cutlass back. Keep going long enough and the entire contents of the Weapons Locker will be Fine cutlasses, plus the occasional Good one which has been returned. And so on...
Indeed you may need to resupply the Locker once in a while. :yes

Back