• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP What happens when you meet yourself?

Grey Roger

Sea Dog
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
From the thread Blackbeard Missing from Isla de Muerta, it seems there's already one instance where, if you're playing a character that also shows up as an NPC, the game takes notice.

Less drastic results could occur if you play a character who is also an NPC in a side quest. For a bit of fun, put these where they need to be, play free-play as Claire Larrouse, then see what happens if you go to San Juan tavern...

meeting.jpg

Attachments

• Claire Larrouse_dialog.c
    13 KB · Views: 201
  • Claire Larrouse_dialog.h
    5.2 KB · Views: 188
From the thread Blackbeard Missing from Isla de Muerta, it seems there's already one instance where, if you're playing a character that also shows up as an NPC, the game takes notice.
That is actually just one very specific instance that I manually coded in.
Because when you start the game as Corsair Blackbeard, you get Blackbeard's sword right at the start.
So then it doesn't make sense to also have him on Isla de Muerta so that you can steal the sword from him.
There was a slight error with the way I coded that, which you wouldn't observe, but did cause a compile.log entry. But not anymore.

Other than that, the game couldn't care less about the same model being used over and over.
Though there is actually some mod-added code in place to prevent random characters from using any models that are already in use by the player or officers.
But of course characters defined in the init files are completely exempt from that.

Less drastic results could occur if you play a character who is also an NPC in a side quest. For a bit of fun, put these where they need to be, play free-play as Claire Larrouse, then see what happens if you go to San Juan tavern...
Nice one! Doubtful many people would end up getting to see that, but that is still funny, that is! :cheers

I'd guessed why Blackbeard in particular needs to check if you're playing as Blackbeard, and already knew that in general the game doesn't care which model you're using. But that post about Blackbeard, plus what I'd done in "Ardent" to have one particular dialog react differently depending on your model, got me thinking. It wasn't that hard to add a couple of lines to a dialog to have it produce a different opening line if you're using a particular model. So even if the pay-off is small in that not many people are going to see the result, the work involved is pretty small too. Claire Larrouse just happened to be the first NPC I thought of for this.

Of course, it would be a somewhat longer job to do that for all side quest NPC's. But it could be amusing to do it for a few more...

Of course, it would be a somewhat longer job to do that for all side quest NPC's. But it could be amusing to do it for a few more...
I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort to do it, but it IS a fun joke to have in the game.
So don't let me stop you if you really want to do some of that. :cheeky

As I said, a lot of work to do all quest NPC's, but fun to do one or two of the more important characters. Since the Will Turner outfit is one of the more popular ones, let's see what happens if you are wearing it when you try to do the "Silver Train" side quest...

Attachments

• Will Turner_dialog.c
    13 KB · Views: 166
  • Will Turner_dialog.h
    10.3 KB · Views: 183
Back