• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What i'm working on

Luke159

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
Well as many of you might be aware i've been working on the next patch for CMV3, now we are in no rush to get this out and many of the CM team are taking a break from modding and whilest playing they are testing at the sametime making sure everything works as intended. For me though i can't stop trying to improve things so whilest everyone else is taking a break from modding i'm busy trying to get some things sorted. The ships realistic purchase was one thing that we needed sorting out because other wise we would have had to make two parts to it, one been the realistic purchase and the other been the normal stock version where you could by every ship apart from quest ships.

The same was needed for the spyglass which is like the purchase ships available to turn on or off in _mod_on_off this however requires a new game so you can't decide you don't like it and turn them to the next setting and continue playing the same game. You would have to start again, so it will be best if you test both out before comitting to a game.

The sea hight was another thing that needed updating since it still felt a little to rough, this is still ongoing but its getting better all the time.

Cannons, well the calibures range was only 50 yards less than there counter part culverines, so 4Ibs cannons would reach 50 yards less than 4Ibs culverines and the same for every calibure. This has been changed so that culverines now reach 100 yards further than there counter part cannons can. Also cannons hp has been increased so you will not get the message saying a gun has fell out so quick. This si still ongoing and require testing but it seems to be going as planned.

A few updates to some ships where they wasn't classed as merchant or military ships correctly. And the ship "Sophie" has has had the waterline checked and updated so that next to no water enters the lower deck.

Wind speed updated to make it more realistic, now you can be stranded with no wind at all or a very light wind pushing you along at 0.1 knot. The maximum speed has not been changed since there was no need to do that. This will add more realistic feel to sailing and make the tactic side of naval warfare more important since you will not want to be in a tricky position should the wind speed drop.

Once all this is sorted out i will start to look for what else can be done, but for now i'm busy testing everything and making changes as and when i feel it isn't just right.

Ship thumb nails have been a problem since the patch was released for CMV3, i have now fixed them and managed to get the MOW which for some reason never had a thumb nail in CMV2 or CMV3.

I'm making a few updates to the ships in ships_init and ships.H. The names of the vanilla ships are in caps ie, SHIP_LUGGER while many of the ported ships are not so i'm updating each and everyone, i will then have to update the shiputilities file and address each entery for every ship which will take sometime. I will also look into BattleInterface and make sure everything is working right in there too.

The wind speed been changed so it can be anything from for example 0 to 14 knots has brought with it a nice feature where AI ships will rig there sails if the wind speed is too low.

Busy guy/Workoholic! xD: All of these additions will add quality to an increasingly great game. It really is impressive all the work that you are doing.
Keep it up matey :doff

Fantastic work Luke! :cheers

One of these days maybe I will even be able to find some time to play CoAS again and test out these awesome new mods! Between work and chasing Real Pirate News and Pirate Game News, I haven't had a lot of free time lately. :modding

Busy guy/Workoholic! xD: All of these additions will add quality to an increasingly great game. It really is impressive all the work that you are doing.
Keep it up matey :doff

xD:
Thanks FB. :onya

You know me alway's looking for way's to improve the gameplay and make this more fun to play and trying to increase the playability factors.

Fantastic work Luke! :cheers

One of these days maybe I will even be able to find some time to play CoAS again and test out these awesome new mods! Between work and chasing Real Pirate News and Pirate Game News, I haven't had a lot of free time lately. :modding

Thank you Thagarr. :onya

I hope so because the imvrovements in CMV3.1 are really good and have increased so much and some big fixes on CMV2. You'll have lots of fun, there are a few things that need doing (not game breaking) just annoying that they can't be done by any of us yet. Thats the ship pictures, i have just downloaded the TX Converter so i can have a look in the TGA file and see whats what. Hopefully it won't be to hard to fix those pictures.

Did you add that PotC style console and Reinit function yet?
If not, that's really worthwhile to try. :yes

Also, I'm still looking forward to:
- A short description of the main CM improvements for promotional purposes
- Some screenshots showing some of the main graphical improvements
- An installer file to post on the ModDB instead of the old v1.8 one

There's no real rush with any of these, but as far as I'm concerned, the sooner the better! :woot

Did you add that PotC style console and Reinit function yet?
If not, that's really worthwhile to try. :yes

Also, I'm still looking forward to:
- A short description of the main CM improvements for promotional purposes
- Some screenshots showing some of the main graphical improvements
- An installer file to post on the ModDB instead of the old v1.8 one

There's no real rush with any of these, but as far as I'm concerned, the sooner the better! :woot

Yep we have the reinit function working thanks to Ashely and i think he's working on adding a few more things to it. We don't have the console in place just yet though, i will have to look at the one from POTC and try to understand how it was all put together and then have a try to get one to work in COAS.

How many pictures would you like?
The short discription is almost finished
CMV3 is already an installer i think Drow is working on making the patch into an installer too.

I'll try to get everything you need put together in the next few day's i will put everything on hold till i have finished the ModDB stuff. :onya

Yep we have the reinit function working thanks to Ashely and i think he's working on adding a few more things to it.
In that case, your spyglass modifications might not require a new game and just a Reinit would do.

We don't have the console in place just yet though, i will have to look at the one from POTC and try to understand how it was all put together and then have a try to get one to work in COAS.
Didn't I already post somewhere on the forum exactly how to do it?
I thought you or someone else had it working months ago.
It's actually easier to realize than the Reinit function. :wacko:

How many pictures would you like?
Doesn't matter that much. Whatever you feel represents your modding work properly.

CMV3 is already an installer i think Drow is working on making the patch into an installer too.
I'll try to get everything you need put together in the next few day's i will put everything on hold till i have finished the ModDB stuff. :onya
What I might suggest is that you finish whatever you've planned for the next patch,
then make a combined installer file so that prospective players can install one file only.
Then when you've got the ModDB stuff ready too, we can post it all at the same time.
So then we'll have a properly updated profile with a properly updated installer.

What we can then also do is either write a CM announcement News post,
which might end up posted on the main ModDB page, or a Source Code announcement
which will include the CM announcement together with the actual news and a status update on the PotC Build Mod.
It'd be similar to this article that's on your CM profile at the moment:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/city-of-abandoned-ships-combined-mods/news/merry-christmas-especially-for-us

Thanks i just read it all and it was very nice to read. However i did notice one mistake in spelling.

We have also gotten started on the "Willemstad Builders' Trials" seakeeping project, which is intended to improve the manoeuvring characteristics of all ships in the game. No longer will ships respond as if they are on rails. And no longer will there be uber-ships. Battles will no longer be won based on firepower, but also on clever manoeuvring and making us of your ship's advantages. A sample document and code files can be found here on the ModDB.

I honstely can't remember where you posted it all, i remember you saying once we have the reinit function working you would explain further on how to implement the console. I normally transfer things of interest or importance to my own forum where i can quickly get to it as and when i need it but it seems i didn't do it with the console. :facepalm

None of the other guy's are working on a patch 2, as far as i know there is myself and maybe one or two other's but thats all. the second patch wasn't even scheduled to be started on its just i can't play the game without looking at some code and seeing what it does. xD:

I'm sure Drow said he was going to combine CMV3 and the patch into a single installer, not sure when because i think he's busy. :shrug

Thanks i just read it all and it was very nice to read. However i did notice one mistake in spelling.
Thanks mate, got it fixed now. Been like that ever since Christmas. :facepalm

I honstely can't remember where you posted it all, i remember you saying once we have the reinit function working you would explain further on how to implement the console. I normally transfer things of interest or importance to my own forum where i can quickly get to it as and when i need it but it seems i didn't do it with the console. :facepalm
Found it: http://forum.piratesahoy.net//coas-combined-mod-version-3-t15127.html/page__view__findpost__p__356069
And it was the other way around: I told you how to do the console first and would help you with the Reinit later.

None of the other guy's are working on a patch 2, as far as i know there is myself and maybe one or two other's but thats all. the second patch wasn't even scheduled to be started on its just i can't play the game without looking at some code and seeing what it does. xD:
Careful with that or you'll end up like me, having not properly played PotC in aaages.

I'm sure Drow said he was going to combine CMV3 and the patch into a single installer, not sure when because i think he's busy. :shrug
No rush. Actually, making an installer file isn't that hard. I figured it out too.
So if you want some information on how to do it, I can also give you a hand.
Except I don't have the stuff yet to do it myself due to a lack of laptop...

Thanks Pieter, i will try and figure out how to make an installer with patch 1 when i've finished everything else. Then when i have figured that out i will combine patch 1 with CMV3 and make an installer. I might need your help there but we will cross that bridge when we get there. :onya

I have taken note of the console function and have added it to my forum for the next project, hopefully it will not be to difficult to implement into COAS. ;)

LOL, i spent half an hour playing COAS after patch 1 was released before i started looking for something to mod, i haven't played COAS since only in testing and the longest test is happening now with the realistic ship purchase, making sure all ships are generated both at the shipyard and at sea. Then i have to make sure that its the same with realistic ship purchase turned off. But even with that testing going on i was sitting there thinking i don't like how rough the sea is so i ended up looking into that and making some changes. xD:

I took a break durring the work on the patch, it was about a 3 day break playing a game called The Movies, i figured a game thats got nothing to do with ships and fighting would help take my mind of modding, instead i ended up modding that game too :facepalm . So i quickly uninstalled it and haven't bothered attempting to play andthing else since. Modding has become like a bug but i fully injoy it and want to learn more and more all the time so i can help creat bigger and better things all the time. My time might be limited due to having children but as soon as they are in bed i'm on my computer looking and learning all the time, and if i get any time durring the day like now i'm either on here or i'm looking at files. :yes

Just added the console.C however its not working yet, i have had to put it as F26 because there was no other empty slots from F1 to F12, the only was is to move one of the other functions to F26 and swap it with the console.C function which would be best due to it meaning the cheat debug widow will alway's have to be made available which in turn can course some people to turn to cheating and not injoying the game.

What is ment to happen when i push F26?

F26? You've got a bigger keyboard than I have then! :rofl

Only kidding; I know that you're referring to the onscreen function thingamajig.
But the thing that's set up with the code I gave you is to make the F12 keyboard button execute the console.

What's supposed to happen when you press F12? It's supposed to load console.c and execute whatever you put in there. If you're playing in windowed mode, you can actually write stuff in console.c and execute it while you're playing the game. It's insanely useful for all sorts of things.

xD:
Its a magic keyboard to everyone else its just a normal keyboard. :rolleyes:

Ok i will have a look at what i can do and make it so that F12 works the console, i'm sure there is a button in the F1 to F12 that isn't really needed and can be swapped to F26.

In that case its a must have file, i will have another play later, need to get something to eat now. :onya

Are the F1-F26 on-screen buttons an extension of the physical keyboard in CoAS? Or are they completely unrelated? For example, does it matter if you press F1 on your keyboard or on the on-screen display? Does it do the same or does it do something different? If it's different, you can just use the F12 keyboard for the console and the F12 onscreen thing will remain untouched.

No the F1 to F12 are independent, they don't work as they do in the debug window. For example the debug window for F1 gives you 50k but ingame it opens the window to save, continue, load quit etc. I just tested F12 out to see what that does and when you walk up to a character it gives you there health hit points date at the top of the screen. :shrug

In that case, just code it the way I said and you can use the F12 keyboard button.
Unless that's already used for something else.
But then just use one of the keyboard keys that isn't yet assigned.
No need to use the debug window, I'd say. :shrug

Yep F12 is been used already here is its code.

Code:
CI_CreateAndSetControls( "", "BOAL_Control2", CI_GetKeyCode("VK_F12"), 0, false );

and

Code:
objControlsState.key_codes.VK_F12		= 123;
objControlsState.key_codes.VK_F12.img = "z";

I have changed the original f12 to f26 and the same in Debuger.C. Now when i push f12 i don't see the character health points but nothing happens still.

I have NO idea of what that debugger does.
What does the F12 keyboard button do?

When your near a soldier or officer it gives you there health hit points xx out of xx. Personally i don't see the point in that as its not something many people perhaps know about and those that do might never use it. Also its in effect a cheat because you would never know the stat of someones health just by looking at them, they could look weak yet be strong etc. Example in real life Bill Goldberg (a wrestlier from WCW and WWE) acts all hard in the ring but out of it his wife say's he's a baby.

Good news the Console.C is now working, thank you Pieter for all your help. :onya

I had to use F4 in the end and as you can see from the above picture it is working. :will

Back