• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What is AOP written in?

Cep

Landlubber
Hi,

Long time since I visited here! I was wondering since I am a programmer of sorts what language AOP is written in, and additionally what tools do you guys use to modify the game? I'd like to take a look at fixing some bugs and dialogs.

TA! :)

The code is in text files (.c and .h) in the PROGRAM folder. These can be opened with Notepad and other text editors like Notepad++.
The code itself is similar to C, though not exactly the same. However, if you've got programing knowledge, you should pick it up very quickly. :yes

The code is in text files (.c and .h) in the PROGRAM folder. These can be opened with Notepad and other text editors like Notepad++.
The code itself is similar to C, though not exactly the same. However, if you've got programing knowledge, you should pick it up very quickly. :yes

Thanks Pieter, I'll take a look at the files from the SuperMod installation I have. No point fixing things if they are already fixed!

Very true.

However, if you are at all able, you might want to look into Age of Pirates II: City of Abandoned Ships.
Modding for AoP has long since died, but people here are still working on it's successor, which is a better game to be sure.
Additionally, we've got the source code available for that game, which means we can change more than for any of the other games.
But we don't have enough people with coding knowledge to do anything with that.

We're also still working on it's predecessor, the 2003 Pirates of thr Caribbean game: http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons
After 7 years of modding on that game, the results are truly noteworthy.

Your help with either of those games would be much appreciated. :doff

Hi Pieter,

Would love to help where I can. I am a little bit sceptical about buying AOP2 though, mainly because the first game was so awful for a production release that as a dev I am surprised it ever past QA let alone received any kind of testing. Which is such a shame really because all it needed by the looks of it was some simple dialog work and a bit more thought on the game mechanics.

How badly broken is AOP2 in comparison? How far is the Mod for it, better then Supermod?

PotC, AoP and AoP 2 are all based on the same engine. From those games, the best unmodded game has to be AoP 2.
There's a few bugs that have been taken care of by the modpack for it and there's a lot of content and gameplay that AoP didn't have.
Talking about modded game versions, I like to think PotC + Build Mod is better (though buggier due to still being WIP),
but unmodded there can be no contest and AoP 2 wins hands down.

The Supermod for AoP isn't actually much of a mod compared to our PotC Build Mod and AoP 2 Combined Modpack.
There's a lot of good stuff in the AoP 2 modpack; see here for more information:
http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/16817-combined-mod-v32-faqbugsinstalling/page__view__getnewpost
Feel free to ask the AoP 2 modding team on this forum if you have any further questions; myself, I hardly ever played it... :?

Back