• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll What Version Are You Playing And Why

Your Favourite Mod For COAS

• Vanilla (no mods)

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • CMV 3.2

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • GOF 1.1

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • GOF 1.2

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • GOF 2.

Votes: 44 46.3%
  • GOF Era Module 2

Votes: 32 33.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it was although it also added ships and I think 1 or a few characters but mostly fixed some bugs and improved some features that didn't work correctly.

Yep, but Messiah wants his game to remain fully vanilla apart from the fixes to bugs, no new features, characters, ships etc. Sadly for him no mod like that was ever done and I doubt one will ever be done in less someone like Messiah is willing to do it themselves and then decide to share that work. Personally I could never play vanilla game for COAS ever again, I think the base game is very poor, unstable and bugged to hell and love to many features from GOF which I would end up porting in which then defeats the objective of playing vanilla.

The first Combined Modpack came in an edition WITH and WITHOUT new characters and ships.
But when I posted it to the ModDB, I put them all together in one package. That very first version is no longer available anywhere though.
So we're right back where we started.

Long story short: Use that latest Combined Modpack and, if necessary, remove some ships and characters.
It's the closest you can get.

Well, I would do so, if I knew how to. But I think it's too much work to do, so my guess is that I will start playing with mods. Just that those textures are very different from stock game and I don't think it merges with the game. For example those captain cabin textures are too bright for me. I like vanilla textures personally, other things don't really matter that much, except adding a very big lot of ships. I think so much ships ruins the game, of course it would be nice to have a couple of major class ships (like a couple different classes of frigates and galleons) but not a bunch of those sloop of war (or something like that) and other ship classes I saw. Well that's just my opinion, don't know what others' desire in this game. M0dders don't need to get insulted, your work is amazing, I couldn't do even one third of that.

Last edited:
I play GOF 2.0 Mod. Because it was discussed very often in another German Forum. Also I like especially the pretty look of the Soldiers and Officers. The ships graphic / texture seems also been improved and there are much more ships to choose in shipyard. Last but not least the better game stability compared to COAS (so less game crashes to speak)!

Have a nice day and lots of fun with play! :napoleon

I'm playing 1.1. I was playing 2.0 for some time, but I was used to the lowest difficulty settings being difficult and satisfying and found 2.0 with the lowest difficulty settings just too easy. And didn't feel like figuring out what could be the right level for me now. Could run into a pirate settlement soon and kill everybody and steal some matchlock muskets, just like that. And a matchlock musket makes a big difference. In 1.1 that was not possible for quite a long time. GOF 2.0 didn't have less crashes either, so I decided to go back to 1.1, that version seems to be perfect for me.
A question to the crashes in all versions: Most of the crashes (almost all of them) occur when sails fall. Because I think sails fall a little bit too fast anyway, I'd like to know how I could reduce the damage of knipples ammo. With a slight reduction there would be more tactical options in sea battles, in my opinion. And - as a nice side effect - there would be less crashes in sea battles. Good winds to you all.

I'm playing 1.1. I was playing 2.0 for some time, but I was used to the lowest difficulty settings being difficult and satisfying and found 2.0 with the lowest difficulty settings just too easy. And didn't feel like figuring out what could be the right level for me now. Could run into a pirate settlement soon and kill everybody and steal some matchlock muskets, just like that. And a matchlock musket makes a big difference. In 1.1 that was not possible for quite a long time. GOF 2.0 didn't have less crashes either, so I decided to go back to 1.1, that version seems to be perfect for me.
A question to the crashes in all versions: Most of the crashes (almost all of them) occur when sails fall. Because I think sails fall a little bit too fast anyway, I'd like to know how I could reduce the damage of knipples ammo. With a slight reduction there would be more tactical options in sea battles, in my opinion. And - as a nice side effect - there would be less crashes in sea battles. Good winds to you all.

Program\STORE == initGoods
Code:
 {  // = If RTBL is enabled
 Goods[GOOD_KNIPPELS].DamageHull = 0.2;
 Goods[GOOD_KNIPPELS].DamageRig = 2.3;
 Goods[GOOD_KNIPPELS].DamageCrew = 0.2;
 } else if(RTBL == 2) {
 //new midway damage
 Goods[GOOD_KNIPPELS].DamageHull = 0.5;
 Goods[GOOD_KNIPPELS].DamageRig = 4.5;
 Goods[GOOD_KNIPPELS].DamageCrew = 0.6;
 } else {
 //original damage
 Goods[GOOD_KNIPPELS].DamageHull = 1.5;
 Goods[GOOD_KNIPPELS].DamageRig = 9.0;
 Goods[GOOD_KNIPPELS].DamageCrew = 0.9;
 }

Note this code was taken from GOF2. Lower the DamageRig to reduce damage to sails.

Ok, thank you, I'll play a bit with these numbers then. Another question: What would I have to do to have sails destroyed, but no masts falling? And: Did the masts really fall that fast in reality? Gameplay is more important to me than historical accuracy, but I just wonder.

Lucky shots could take a mast down, it was known to happen. Bartholomew Roberts I believe had his mast destroyed moments before been killed himself.

I don't no if hull damage has any influence on the masts state or if the masts are fully dependent upon the sails. Some people have said about getting lucky shots off destroying a mast on an enemy ship early in battle (not many people reported this happening so we wasn't to worried about it been a problem) and I have done the same thing once when been chased. To make it very hard to destroy a mast then lower the damagerig to 0.01 that would drastically lower the chances of a mast been destroyed early on but it also comes with a negative point. By lowering the damage knipple shots do to sails you also reduce the effects of that said sail damage slowing the ships down allowing you to take advantage of their reduced speed. Also it would be best to change the DamageRig on each of the shot types to that of or lower than the knipple value otherwise round shot, bombs and grape shots will be more powerful and do more sail damage than the knipple shot which you don't want.

I was playing vanilla, today I again tried out GOF 2 and I think I'll stick to vanilla.
[The start is everything, but definitely not fun. So I fire up the easiest possible difficulty, get attacked in my class 7 ship with 2 class 5 pirates, take 1 over and use it as my main ship. I've got 20 cannons and few crew, the other pirate guy has full points. After an eternity, I bring his sails down to half (after that they seem to have been laughing out my efforts, every time the sails were hit there was some movement of the blue bar... but towards the right end) and start blasting away at his crew. Lose 17 of my 20 cannons, with one on the left broadside and 2 sternchasers working. I was thoughtful enough to load my 8 4 pounders on that ship, but CoAS ofcourse doesn't allow gun swaps (heck even positions) in battle, so I get boarded (cause a merchantmen with half of his sails torn to pieces is faster than a schooner) and die. And that was my longest adventure in GoF.]

Ok a bad experience in GOF, I can't say as to what you did wrong or why the Merchantmen was able to keep up with you other than a Schooner should easily have been able to out maneuver that ship and with half the sails damaged you could or should have been able to sail with the wind and still have the upper hand. When in doubt though its best to sail a Schooner into the wind when square rigged ships are chasing you.

What mod settings was you running with? (changing RTBL to default or in between would allow for your shots to deal heavier damage, this is the same for the AI) with RTBL set to realistic you will find the start extremely challenging.

Thanks for the tip! I realized the latter part myself, aswell, but I figure there's not that much new stuff around in such a mod if I just revert to CoAS settings... but I'll give it another shot when I get back from Germany.

EDIT:Well, I had enough time on my hands to try it right now... and the mod options won't save. Not even during the same session. As soon as I load up a save I get all the GoF defaults instead of the CoAS defaults I'd chosen. -.-

Last edited:
Need some help deciding which mod to roll with myself. Tried GOF and it was pretty good, switched to Eras to see what it was like, and now I'm downloading Historical.

There are a lot of things I love about Eras, like all the random junk you can loot off bodies and the new armor items, but I have dozens of crashes and freezes every play session. I had some luck by disabling rain, but now my skybox is gone for some reason -- it's just all white with a square of blue sky with clouds at the very top -- and I don't know how that happened or how to fix it.

edit: And now there's something called Pirate Desires? If I can find the download link, if there is one, I'll see what that's like too.

Last edited:
Ok. Now to make sure I'm using the latest Historical Immersion: it's the 2 GB download from here http://piratesahoy.net/threads/city...on-gentlemen-of-fortune-supermod.22493/page-8 with "2.5" in the filename, and not the one on ModDB with a smaller filesize and just "2" in the filename, right?
Alan Smithee! Holy crap, that's been a long time ago. Good to see you again! :bow

The only Historical Immersion Supermod on ModDB is the one for Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales.
This is the last one I know of for Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships: http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/COAS/aop2_coas_gof2-5_hi.exe
So it depends on which of the two games you're trying to play it with. :doff

The progression is roughly like this:
GOF2 with the 1.3 and 1.4 patches. This is the base that the others use and it is my favorite with addons from The Black Knight.

The supermod or GOF2.5. This was originally a mod for AOP that got ported to GOF2. It runs well and has 4 music packs to choose from.

There is a 2.1.5 patch that I am using that has caused no problems for me.

Then there are the earlier mods like CMV that some prefer.

Alan Smithee! Holy crap, that's been a long time ago. Good to see you again! :bow

The only Historical Immersion Supermod on ModDB is the one for Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales.
This is the last one I know of for Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships: http://piratesahoy.bowengames.com/COAS/aop2_coas_gof2-5_hi.exe
So it depends on which of the two games you're trying to play it with. :doff

Well dang, you're right, I must have been half asleep when I was looking at this stuff last night because I didn't notice the ModDB one is for Caribbean Tales.

And good to see you again, I felt like reinstalling COAS after trying the Caribbean game based on the Mount and Blade engine. It wasn't quite hitting any of the right notes as far as ship or land combat, looting, trading and so on. Sorry to get further off-topic but what is the status of the conversion of To Each His Own to English? Is it just a matter of language translation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back