• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Poll What Version Are You Playing And Why

Your Favourite Mod For COAS

• Vanilla (no mods)

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • CMV 3.2

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • GOF 1.1

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • GOF 1.2

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • GOF 2.

Votes: 44 46.3%
  • GOF Era Module 2

Votes: 32 33.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And good to see you again, I felt like reinstalling COAS after trying the Caribbean game based on the Mount and Blade engine. It wasn't quite hitting any of the right notes as far as ship or land combat, looting, trading and so on. Sorry to get further off-topic but what is the status of the conversion of To Each His Own to English? Is it just a matter of language translation?
I will not claim to have even the foggiest of what is going on with that. This is the last news I saw:
Okay people, a quick update for you all.

[....] We are thinking about Early Access option at the moment, so stay tuned.

What I do know is that our good old PotC Build Mod is still actively being worked on after 12 years by several people, myself included.
It is reaching levels of awesomeness that I haven't yet seen in any other pirate game to date.
So if you can accept the 2003 graphics (still improved in many ways compared to the stock game) and simplified fencing, you would do well to check it out:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-4-internal-wip-for-testing.25696/ ;)

I will not claim to have even the foggiest of what is going on with that. This is the last news I saw:

What I do know is that our good old PotC Build Mod is still actively being worked on after 12 years by several people, myself included.
It is reaching levels of awesomeness that I haven't yet seen in any other pirate game to date.
So if you can accept the 2003 graphics (still improved in many ways compared to the stock game) and simplified fencing, you would do well to check it out:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-4-internal-wip-for-testing.25696/ ;)

I gave New Horizons a try last night but in all honesty, even with all the updates, it feels like a big step backwards from COAS in a lot of ways (animations, for example -- that arm swinging run just kills me). Amazing amount of character customization though, I spent a lot of time playing around with that. Makes me want to design some new NPCs.

Actually I felt inspired and spent a couple hours just now cobbling together a couple models in Wings3D into a rough approximation of Aveline de Grandpré from Assassin's Creed Liberation, but I have no idea if I'll ever manage to get it rigged and in-game.

http://piratesahoy.net/attachments/piratelass-jpg.22516/?temp_hash=ff81132743b8abc9f90189feb0dce5c5

Attachments

• piratelass.jpg
    piratelass.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 282
Indeed CoAS does have a more fancy fencing system. And the graphics are a bit better too.
Not sure about anything else. It certainly does not have PotC beat on content and functionality.
The Periods and Storylines mods alone would guarantee that, but of course there is so much more.

It all depends on what you want from the game, of course.
Though I do admit I'd consider it an honour if an old time Modder like yourself would see what we've done with the game over the past many years.

We have even expanded on some of your original mods! The blacksmiths have much improved functionality now.
And the link between the Albatross and the Apothecary works much better now. @Levis even recently added functionality for opium Smuggling to your Opium Den.

I'll play around with Horizons some more, would be interesting to see what I remember making or not. I've dabbled in modding several games since PotC, including Morrowind, Fallout, Skyrim and Mount and Blade -- more for fun than things that have seen the light of day, but I've learned a lot and it's funny how rough the old stuff I made looks. Now that I see TheBlackKnight has been upgrading COAS visually I'm tempted to do some characters, even if just to give NPCs more variety (there's only one female pirate model, for example, and her gilded blue outfit is pretty outlandish).

I have a request to anyone who has both GOF2 and GOF2.5 HI on their computer.

It seems to me that ships don't react to the waves quite so harshly in GOF2 as they do in GOF2.5 HI. I am very interested in knowing the opinions of anyone else with both games about this.

If this is true then it may lead us to finding a way to make COAS sailing more realistic like POTC is.

I just added my vote for vanilla COAS.

I tried GOF 2.0, wasn't totally happy with the results. I prefer the stock textures, and there's something odd about sailing on deck where the sails flap madly and the ship bobs in the water like a cork in a washing machine during the heavy duty agitation cycle. It's like you're running on time compression. TEHO was similar, but not as bad. So far, the stock game hasn't been a problem with that, seems better than TEHO.

There are a few things I can't deal with in the stock game though. I've already implemented a HUD scalar for use with higher definition screens, replaced the compass texture with one I added to New Horizons that is marked in 32 sailing points, replaced the wind arrow with the one from NH, added a world map background with the island regions marked from a mod for TEHO, copied code from GOF to skip the intro videos, and implemented console.c.

I'm looking at the possibility of making directsail work.

This is the game I've been wishing for ever since I started playing TEHO in July: a modable version. TEHO and COAS are basically the same game with different content, with a few refinements in TEHO. TEHO seems to have a lot more content, and some good storylines along with lots of side quests.

I'll go back to New Horizons eventually, but I needed to take a break from it for a while.

Hook

@LarryHookins The idea of GoF 2 was based on the fact that GoF 1.2 introduced some problems and bugs and to go back before 1.2 to avoid these problems if I remember correctly. But GoF 2 had some changes I didn't like, I remember the game difficulty had changed, the game had become too easy, you had to choose high difficulty to have it as hard as it was in GoF 1.1 with lowest difficulty. Also the 1.1 version was always extremely stable and just perfect for me. I still play 1.1. I would be interested if you would like this version to test. If it's not available anymore, I still have these install versions backupped, also 1.2 and 1.3, if anyone is interested.

Actually, @Marki, I would like that version. Thanks for offering.

I can't address the difficulty of 2.0, as I didn't play it that much. I'm looking for the earliest version that has a lot of bug fixes so I can incorporate them into the "clean" stock game for now, but I'd like to see how your version plays.

I was surprised to find that the stock game's sailing model wasn't much more forgiving than a New Horizons ship with a bunch of upgrades. For now, I don't see much reason to adjust that yet. This game plays surprisingly well. I'm using dynamic sailing rather than tactical (terms from TEHO) because I purely hated tactical mode in that game... you could get the same effect by sailing at 0.5x time compression without the drawbacks, like taking a lot longer to get to a destination; the scale was changed.

Hook

@Marki I did a google search for GOF1.1.exe and found a download, but one of the files in the documentation folder is named "JA-GOF-MOD changes_v1.2.txt" so I'm not sure if I have a 1.1 installation or not. If that file isn't in your version 1.1, I may need the version you have. Appreciate all your help.

Hook

@Marki I did a google search for GOF1.1.exe and found a download, but one of the files in the documentation folder is named "JA-GOF-MOD changes_v1.2.txt" so I'm not sure if I have a 1.1 installation or not. If that file isn't in your version 1.1, I may need the version you have. Appreciate all your help.
These are all old CoAS mod files that I still know exist:
Downloads - City of Abandoned Ships: Combined Mod v3.2.0 for Age of Pirates II: City of Abandoned Ships
Downloads - Age of Pirates 2: Gentlemen of Fortune mod for Age of Pirates II: City of Abandoned Ships

This might be a good file to include with the normally available versions.
If somebody wants to update "the normally available versions", it will not be me who does it. I am not ever touching anything CoAS-related again. :no

@Pieter Boelen, I fully understand. But if you want to see what it's all about, Sea Dogs: To Each His Own is available on Steam for $11, and is pretty much the same game with none of the drama associated with the earlier game. You'll need a walkthrough to get through the tutorial, and there are a few posted. :) Read my guide there for a manual, which doesn't come with the game.

It's a cheap way to experience the game if you don't already have COAS.

Hook

I'll try to upload that material then, just have to find out exactly how, it's a big file, and there is a lot of non-gaming-related work to do for me at the moment:rolleyes:, so give me a couple of days, I'll do it, promised.

But if you want to see what it's all about, Sea Dogs: To Each His Own is available on Steam for $11
I don't have time to play it. Plus it's not moddable.

pretty much the same game with none of the drama associated with the earlier game
For me, SD:TEHO has a HUGE amount of drama associated with it.
To the point that it was necessary to add a special note about it in Notice - Welcome and Forum Rules! | PiratesAhoy!
Which should of course be completely ridiculous. But ridiculous situations ask for ridiculous measures. :facepalm

It's a cheap way to experience the game if you don't already have COAS.
I've had all the CoAS files on an external HD for years. If I had wanted to play it, I could have done it at any time.
But I have no time for that and I have no desire left for it either.

I don't seem to be able to upload an exe-file, correct? GOF 1.0 and GOF 1.1 are exes. 1.2, 1.2 Patch and 1.3 Patch are rar.

I don't seem to be able to upload an exe-file, correct? GOF 1.0 and GOF 1.1 are exes. 1.2, 1.2 Patch and 1.3 Patch are rar.
Where are you trying to upload it? Forum attachments cannot be EXE. They also need to be relatively small (<2MB if I recall).

@Marki: Compress the exe file to a .rar file if necessary, but if there's a size limit, then it'll have to go on the cloud.

Hook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back