• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Whats Next?

I don't know exactly how loot is generated, but I do know that there is a often noticeable pause when I loot my first corpse after a boarding action, fort attack, or town conquest. I assume at that moment, the engine calls the list of possible loot items and generates all of the loot in an area simultaneously. I cannot prove this, but it makes sense to me given what I have observed. If that is the case, then that moment of loading will get more significant as the number of potential loot items grows.

In either case, the more code the engine has to process, the longer it will take. That is a given. So yes, if you add significantly to the loot lists, somewhere in-game, you have just added to the load on the engine. The result will be either longer load times, or potential performance hiccups (such as the aforementioned pause). But, as Pieter said, if there is any performance change at all, it will not likely be significant.

That said, I am not averse to the addition of a few more precious gems or trinkets. However, I do have an objection to the addition of potentially hundreds of new items that will have little effect on gameplay. There are already shoes, dead birds, and that funky clay... thing in-game. There are already a number of pendants, rings, jewels, statues, necklaces, pearls, etc in-game which with the addition of the book mod will officially add nothing to the playability of the game. I have already modified some of the items which have lost their voodoo powers to be more loot-worthy in the next version of book mod. I think much more clutter in the game will be just that - clutter.

Of course, some valid solutions to a clear difference in opinions on the matter would be to either:

A) Release multiple versions, one perhaps as a part of the Combined Mod with a small number of additional loot items for some added variety, and another separately for those of you who want loads of junk for your collections.

Or,

B) Not include it in the Combined Mod at all, but maintain compatibility with it, that way anyone who wants it can have it wihout forcing it on anyone who is happy with loot the way it is.

Indeed, and your suggestion have provided the basis on how far I will be going with this mod. It is very easy for me to get carried away, especially when creating stuff...I almost did the same when it came to the trade mod.
I do fully appreciate the suggestions, especially those coming from one of the 'old crew'.
I'm not worried about the player not seeing the items. They will have to see them at some point, whether they are overweight and they have to decide which to keep or which to ditch...or not.

2m3puvo.jpg

I figure I will add 2 maybe 3 more pages such as this. Keep in mind there is a bit of shadow work to do, and some cleaning up of some of the rings.

The following pages will be mostly broaches, pendants and necklaces.

(FB EDIT...seems like the previous post was deleted...*poof*)

Also, perhaps some kind of background rather than the current "Lord of the Rings 3" (Everything's so white!) motif.

Of course, some valid solutions to a clear difference in opinions on the matter would be to either:

A) Release multiple versions, one perhaps as a part of the Combined Mod with a small number of additional loot items for some added variety, and another separately for those of you who want loads of junk for your collections.

Or,

B) Not include it in the Combined Mod at all, but maintain compatibility with it, that way anyone who wants it can have it wihout forcing it on anyone who is happy with loot the way it is.
To me, both options seem uncomfortable to me. Reason being, anything that is not part of the main modpack release must remain being updated, which, depending on the amount of changes in the main modpack code, can be a tremendous pain. And at one point, there's a good chance people decide not to bother anymore and then the work is lost. Except in truly exceptional cases, I highly recommend adding everything in the download and just adding a toggle on it. That admittedly doesn't help with the download size, but I'd prefer that over having to keep things updated.

Personally, I'd say the ideal solution is making the mod in such a way that it doesn't need to be an additional download or to come in two editions or even have a toggle on it. Make something that makes regular players happy and collectors also. The golden middle route, eh?

Which seems to be the route that he has settled on. I didn't much like those options, either, but they were what seemed most prudent if a middle ground could not be found.

That they are. We've tried those in the past though (mainly due to download size reasons), but they provided rather a pain anyway. :facepalm

I would make a switch for it, then those who want the extra lootable iteam's can simply switch it on in _mod_on_off. The current CMV3 exe is 1.7GB's but we didn't rar it using 7zip. If we had the upload and download times would have been less. What we could do is make a single exe for both characters and ships then continue using the combined mod as a secondry exe. That way we don't have to keep uploading those big things everytime we release a new combined mod. This would mean there is alway's two parts to any mod, but if we don't have more ships to add then people don't have to download that pack all the time.

You could also make a full installer and then all subsequent patches will be small(er) as well. Until something new and big is added. :shrug

Also, perhaps some kind of background rather than the current "Lord of the Rings 3" (Everything's so white!) motif.

The reason I used white was because of the way the pictures were taken. I took the pictures with each piece of jewelry sitting on a white piece of paper. The white relects in the jewelry itself. The same would have happend with any other color. After the pictures were taken, I tried to place the jewelry on a blue background, but the reflections were all wrong. I haven't figured out a way to fix this, and I don't know if I can. The white may have to stay

After a bit of work, I have adjusted the background (and added a couple of custom creations)
Let me know if this is better.
t7okcw.jpg

Thank you. I'll be moving ahead now. I will update my progress as always. This way, if there is somthing done that the community doesnt approve of, I will be able to fix it.

I'm not the only one who plays this game ;)

I do recommend putting something on the edges; personally I tend to like a 1px 3D effect on the edges just to make them appear a bit smoother. And shadows are a must, but then you already said you'd add those. :doff

sure I'll give that a shot. Thanks Pieter!

Any suggestions as to which one I should use?

What do you mean with "which one"? I always just use the Blending effects in Photoshop CS2. I think the 3D effect I mean was called "Emboss".

I won't claim to be a wizard with image editing (that title is meant for people like Thomas the Terror! :bow ), but I've been able to get some good results in the past on poster-y and interface-y kind of images.

Ah yes, the emboss. I wasnt sure if you were refering to the blending options or the Filter Effects..

by no means, has this project died. With all the work that was needed on the books mod, and then the release of cmv3.1.5 one could say i have been a bit busy.

However, I am ready to tackle this project now! When I started with this whole idea, I had collected over 400 loot items to add in game, with every intention of doing so.

One could say I've had some sense talked into me. I am now going to limit myself to no more than 80. Please note that some of these items are being added now, until I can figure out how to make quests out of them later. Some of these items will only be able to be found when treasure hunting (with a map, you know)

The new gems that I am adding will have a few different cuts, and thereby be worth more than other gems of the same type. (IE, a pear-cut amythest is worth more than a square cut amythest.)

here are a few grids to wet the appetite. There are 2 more grids to go, one of pendants/broachs and another of extremely rare/quest items.

30uwyub.jpg

264gcna.jpg

2iibes0.jpg

Back