• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

What's up with all the spammers on PA! recently

One of the other small problems is we are running on an older version of Xenforo. I've been reluctant to upgrade because I didn't want to break the skin but we might not have a choice soon.

Ugh. :facepalm

Could you at least give Hylie Pistof access to the Admin Control Panel?
And perhaps make Armada and myself "Super Admins" too so that we can do that ourselves in the future?

Also, might there be a plugin somewhere to mass-prune accounts?

Nope.
Kieth has responded elsewhere and it sounds like he has a plan.

<---------ummmmm

Hylie, yeah I took the other 2 off since being a mod is also a mod in the other areas. Let me know if i'm wrong about that ;)

Also, see if you can access the admin area while your around, we'll try to get that fixed as well.

I think we need to put Hylie's "Storm Modder" banner back. He sort-of deserves it.... :wp

Sorry, just trying to get it all sorted.

I'll stay out of the ranking.

Hehe, "playing" with IP addresses and MAC addresses... Managed to help the webmaster on another community with finding all accounts a spammer had registered so the webmaster could delete them and IP ban him. He got so furious when that happened so he used a computer at his school to register another account. Of course, the administrators banned him shortly after that. :D

"Storm Modder" is one who has made modifications to Storm Engine games like Pirates of the Caribbean. I can see how "moderator", "mod", and "modder" could be confusing, though.

Isn't the banner showing that a person is both an administrator and a moderator a bit redundant, though? As I've understood it, if you are an administrator you are also a moderator, so it would only have to show as one of them and not both.

I also noticed that it's not possible to register a new account, but found that the reason is explained here: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/no-new-members.20888/
Seems like a forum upgrade is necessary.

Isn't the banner showing that a person is both an administrator and a moderator a bit redundant, though? As I've understood it, if you are an administrator you are also a moderator, so it would only have to show as one of them and not both.
As far as I understand, the two aren't the same at all. A moderator runs things on the forum side, but an admin takes care of behind-the-scene stuff.
Anyway, when all this is over, I'll definitely reduce the number of banners that I'm having. It looks quite ridiculous like this. :bonaparte

Seems like there are again a few spamers around here... Any idea how we can get rid of them?

Seems like there are again a few spamers around here... Any idea how we can get rid of them?
There are mate like this one here http://www.piratesahoy.net/members/agivie-scress.22511/ and here is the proof http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/...nd-to-keep-any-unruly-hair-is-in-place.22554/ we need this one banned right now he or she is not here to play pirates but to spam we need this one banned right now.just found this one here there profile http://www.piratesahoy.net/members/aleexx-zenderx.22509/ and here's the proof http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/definitely-to-in-gta-with-the-mac-face-and-body-foundation.22553/ I'm thinking this is the same person because it the same spam link but I don't know all I know is to ban this person now.

Last edited:
There aren't many ways we can stop spammers from turning up to begin with, but it's easy to ban them and remove their content.
Usually one of the Admins will catch spam pretty quickly, but let us know if you see some that hasn't been removed.

There aren't many ways we can stop spammers from turning up to begin with, but it's easy to ban them and remove their content.
Usually one of the Admins will catch spam pretty quickly, but let us know if you see some that hasn't been removed.
that's what I'm doing here armada.

Running any decently successful website is like an arms race. The forum filters (captcha, 'prove you are human', email verification, etc) keep them out until they crack the mechanism that was blocking them. Then the forum admins upgrade the software that blocks them to change the mechanism a bit. It repeats ad nauseum. One of my servers that I admin for gets 10,000+ attempts to circumvent the blocking mechanism per day. I imagine that PA! is in the 2500-3000 range, so one or two will eventually make it.

Running any decently successful website is like an arms race. The forum filters (captcha, 'prove you are human', email verification, etc) keep them out until they crack the mechanism that was blocking them. Then the forum admins upgrade the software that blocks them to change the mechanism a bit. It repeats ad nauseum. One of my servers that I admin for gets 10,000+ attempts to circumvent the blocking mechanism per day. I imagine that PA! is in the 2500-3000 range, so one or two will eventually make it.
That's right Murphy we need better software.

Keith keeps the Xenforo software up to date but considering the site is free and the forum software costs money for an upgrade/update, it is going to get out of sync with the spammers once in a while. It is hard to expect him to buy every update when he doesn't make any money from the site.

Back