• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Whats your favourite ship in New Horizon?

Green Jacket

Sailor Apprentice
Looked and surprised not to see not to see a similar thread on here. :keith

So captains what are your favourite ships? Try to keep away from certain ships such as the flying dutchman and flying pearl and more standard ships.... though I have to admit I always will have a special place for the Satanist's frigate. :wp

Also screen shots of your favourite ships would be great!!!! :shipso... whats ship do you plunder the seven sea's in?

My favorite ship? Whatever it is I'm sailing at the moment! :flower I am currently sailing the Heavy East Indiaman but am thinking about getting a smaller faster ship as it is capable of taking on 3rd rates. Too powerful.

beta3 2014-01-09 13-22-14-66.jpg

The new Constitution model. The lines and rig of the heavy frigate were perfected in Constitution and her sisters, and barely changed at all until the end of the age of sail.

Much like Hylie, I tend to love the ship I'm actually sailing most. Nonetheless, I seem to have a tendancy to frigate size ships, strong but still fast and nimble.
In Golden Age, this is my actual one ...

12 - to stranger tides.jpg

In the Early Explorers I'd like the Fast War Galleon or English Galleon most ... the first one for her performance, the 2nd one for her beauty.
In modern eras I', yet undecided, haven't played them much, but most likely I'd end up with some big frigate.
:ship

All,

I know this is not from the POTC New Horizons MOD, butI have always been partial to the Heavy Gun-Brig class such as the Sea Wolfe from CoAS with its working binnacle.
This particular model was developed based on the Russian 20-Gun Brig "Mercury" from 1819.
I also enjoy the Brig-Sloop Cruizer Class ships from the the English Royal Navy such as the HMS Sophie.

Although both are fast and turn well based on point of sail and maneuverability, neither can go toe to toe against a Class 3 ship with more than 50 guns without a bit of grapeshot and fast boarding action.

In my days of actual sailing, I have had the chance to work as part of the crew of USS Niagara (1813) in Erie, Pennsylvania, another later model Snow Brig.
Great ship, albeit cramped below the gun deck as all tall ships tend to be.
My back always hurt from stooping over all the time!

The Kreyser class frigate, because seeing my own model in the game is truly satisfying. :cheeky
As for ships I didn't make, the Centurion would have to come top.

All,

I know this is not from the POTC New Horizons MOD, butI have always been partial to the Heavy Gun-Brig class such as the Sea Wolfe from CoAS with its working binnacle.
This particular model was developed based on the Russian 20-Gun Brig "Mercury" from 1819.
I also enjoy the Brig-Sloop Cruizer Class ships from the the English Royal Navy such as the HMS Sophie.

Although both are fast and turn well based on point of sail and maneuverability, neither can go toe to toe against a Class 3 ship with more than 50 guns without a bit of grapeshot and fast boarding action.

In my days of actual sailing, I have had the chance to work as part of the crew of USS Niagara (1813) in Erie, Pennsylvania, another later model Snow Brig.
Great ship, albeit cramped below the gun deck as all tall ships tend to be.
My back always hurt from stooping over all the time!

Pics? :cheers

I WILL be playing ERAS again soon.

Hylie,

You asked for pics, so here they are....
(HMS Sophie was a RE-ENABLED Ship because it was "out of period")

If you are looking for photos of my days with the USS Brig Niagara, that might take a bit more time...:keith

Sea Wolfe.jpg

HMS Sophie.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. Now I know what to look for.

Hylie,

A couple of additional notes and some other good ships...

Remember the "Sea Wolfe" is a unique quest ship, unique and cannot be seen in world until you face it down in the pirate quest line when you attempt to kill Edward Low.

The "Royale Brig Queen" is Sea Wolfe's sister ship mirror image without the captain's gig or jolly boat at the stern and different ships figurehead and texture mapping, another unique quest ship through the "Enchanted City" quest line and also Heavy Gun-Brig but rarely seen in game because it is a very difficult and later game quest.

Here is its photo:

BrigQueen.jpg

Finally, another disabled ship from CoAS - GOF Eras because it was "out of period", but one of the best models imported was the high quality HMS Surprise a "Flush Deck" 42-Gun French Heavy Frigate based on French Frigate Unité (1794) with multiple decks and partial cabin:

Surprise.jpg

This ship is a little bit of a pain in the ass to move around in, because you always appear in first person on the gun deck and have to climb up to get the quarterdeck to see what is going on with a spyglass...

Last edited:
Thanks. I won't be seeing any of those ships then as I sail fluyts and galleons. This was my fleet when I stopped playing because I didn't want to get too deep into it before getting MKs next patch.
start 2014-01-05 19-56-30-93.jpg

BTW a POTC player recently complained about the Surprise camera and I fixed it for him. Here it is. It simply replaces the main GM.

Attachments

• HMS_Surprise.7z
    115.2 KB · Views: 124
Thanks. I won't be seeing any of those ships then as I sail fluyts and galleons. This was my fleet when I stopped playing because I didn't want to get too deep into it before getting MKs next patch.
View attachment 14684

BTW a POTC player recently complained about the Surprise camera and I fixed it for him. Here it is. It simply replaces the main GM.

Yep, that did the trick, thanks. :cheers
There are so many minor fixes required at times, it becomes overwhelming and extremely time consuming.

I have to agree with Armada, seeing your own ships in game is satisfying, I just wish modifying gm models was a bit easier with software, its archaic in terms of game development.
Hence, the use of CryEngine 3 for Hearts of Oak.

I have done model work myself, but never posted any of my models.
I only did personal work for CoAS, never POTC, although backwards comparability is generally functional with some additional tweaks!

Back