• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Confirmed Bug When mast broke, sails are repaired to 100%

KillPhil

Corsair
Storm Modder
I noticed, that when a mast of my ship or a companions ship breaks (so sail status goes down to like 40%) and we finish the battle, the sails are on 100% after a few days, even if I don't have enough sailcloth with me for this.

I also had this strange situation:
Again, my mast broke from a battle, after I finished I sailed to Jamaica.. when I entered 3d mode, my mast was there again (nothing new) and my sails at maybe 70% (which is possible because I had some sailcloth with me).. at Port Royale were 2 pirates atm, and one of them fired a salvo at me. One or 2 shots hit me and in this moment, my sails went up to 100%, without repairing and without sailcloth.. only because a cannonball hit me?

When you go to shore or worldmap, your crew "jury rigs" new masts.

This isn't so much a feature as it is a fix to prevent terrible issues with flag-related Graphical Anomalies and flags appearing on the wrong ships.
These issues are much worse when not all masts are present when the scene is loaded. :facepalm

I know - nothing new here - but I never saw before that they could repair the sails to 100% with nearly no sailcloth? That is the bug I wanted to report^^ from 40% with broken mast to 100% with like 10 sailcloth?^^

I've had something similar. I don't think the sails repaired themselves after I took damage, but they did go from badly damaged to 100% very quickly and with very little sailcloth after I used the "Quick repair" perk to repair them. I've yet to see what happens if they're really badly damaged so I can use "Emergency repair" to do a partial repair with no sailcloth...

Yes if you have enough sailcloth the sails can be repaired quite quickly with that perk.

But only if a mast went down. If the sails are heavily damaged because they look like Swiss cheese, they repair more slowly and more expensively. I wonder if, when a mast goes down and is replaced, it is replaced with full sails and needs only a minimal repair for the new intact sails to take effect...

Is this a repair while remaining in 3D sailing mode or one that occurs on the worldmap or on a DirectSail island transfer?

But was it on a DirectSail island transfer or just seemingly randomly?

3D sailing in open sea.

I had a chance to test this thoroughly during my most recent play session, thanks to a small Dutch patrol consisting of a brigantine and a heavy brig. A lucky cannonball took a mast off one of them, while some chains from my bow guns perforated the sails of the other. The net result was that they were both minus almost half their sails; one had sails which looked like they'd been visited by a swarm of very hungry moths, the other had sails pretty much intact but half of them weren't there any more. After I'd captured them both, I put 5 units each of sailcloth and plank onto each of them, swapped ship to take personal command and use "Quick Repair" on each of them, and both of them did minimal hull and sail repair. I went to worldmap, then back to 3D sailing, the mast was still missing, I repeated the process, again there was minimal repair. Back to worldmap, where I waited until next day, then back to 3D sailing, where the crew had erected a replacement mast. Another round of plank and sailcloth transfer, ship swapping and "Quick Repair", and the ship with the newly replaced mast was up to 100% sail while the ship with the holey sails had again only managed a minimal repair with the 5 units of sailcloth.

Nobody has bothered to confirm this in half a year.
So I'm filing it as "Cannot Confirm" until somebody tells me otherwise! :whipa

This topic happened to catch my eye, and I can actually confirm this bug. It tends to happen during long periods of directsailing, and always after a mast has been respawned automatically. Said respawning is done when the area gets reloaded, like when reaching a new island or encountering other ships, which i assume is intentional. As far as the sail hp is concerned though, i have seen it happen that it got instantly restored up to 100%, within the same voyage that a mast got respawned in. As for the moment at which this happens, it's consistent, but i have no clue what exactly triggers it. It's a damn shame i don't have the savegame anymore, but i encountered it while doing some bugtesting for crewmembers not being healed properly. The exact same point i used for testing the crewmember healing bug also had the bug described in this topic, and it always happened at the exact same hour change. I really wish i still had that savegame so we could have a closer look at this.

My current stab in the dark is this: Try, when you (or even better, one of your companions) lose a mast, to sail to another island or just keep sailing until you encounter a fleet. This should spawn a new mast. Now keep sailing until an hour change happens, and watch the sail hp. If that does nothing, keep sailing again until you force ANOTHER reload, wait until the hour change, and check again. That might just be where it happens. If still no results, try experimenting with small amounts of sailcoth. Put it in the mastless companion's ship, or in your own, or in both.

This topic happened to catch my eye, and I can actually confirm this bug.
Very well then; reopened. :(

Said respawning is done when the area gets reloaded, like when reaching a new island or encountering other ships, which i assume is intentional.
Intentional indeed. This is to avoid problems with the Different Flags mod.
It already has troubles figuring out which flag is supposed to go on which mast of which ship.
Having masts missing because they fell off make that ten times worse. :facepalm

Very well then; reopened. :(

Intentional indeed. This is to avoid problems with the Different Flags mod.
It already has troubles figuring out which flag is supposed to go on which mast of which ship.
Having masts missing because they fell off make that ten times worse. :facepalm

I'll try my best to see if i can replicate it again, and post a savegame if so.

The respawning mast solution is a good one, really, if a bit odd-looking. It doesn't have any negative impact on the gameplay, nor is it much of a cheat. It's easily explained as a jury-rig.

Back