• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build When your ship sinks

Meitnerium

Sailor Apprentice
Is it possible to turn off the respawn in tavern or escape boat function so I can watch the whole remaining battle without any interruptions?

What about creating battle zones with only Tier 1 ships? That would be great

Last edited:
What would you want to do after the battle when you're already dead?
Might be possible to completely break the "game over" code so that the scene remains around indefinitely.
No clue how well that will work though.

I had a proposed code change so that Governor Ship Hunting Quests would give frequent Tier 1 enemies to high ranking Privateers and Naval Officers.
Not sure if that will end up in the main mod though. It only works for the 28 July version anyway.

I had a proposed code change so that Governor Ship Hunting Quests would give frequent Tier 1 enemies to high ranking Privateers and Naval Officers.
Not sure if that will end up in the main mod though. It only works for the 28 July version anyway.
not yet, working on it.

Well @Levis, if you were looking for proof that some players do want to be able to find plenty Tier 1 enemies, there it is! ;)

I like the idea of that only happening for high ranking Privateers and Naval Officers.
So if you manage a good way of maintaining that idea, please do. :woot

Well @Levis, if you were looking for proof that some players do want to be able to find plenty Tier 1 enemies, there it is! ;)

I like the idea of that only happening for high ranking Privateers and Naval Officers.
So if you manage a good way of maintaining that idea, please do. :woot
the shiphunting can provide tier2 ships already now.
I was thinking of adding a dialog option for the officer where sometimes there is a tier1 challenge. This one will have its own dialog so low level players are warned :p.

The governor dialog allows you to not accept the task anyway.
Why bother making different dialog for the same purpose?

Just do something like I suggested where higher navy rank increases the maximum (and maybe also the minimum) ship tier that will be generated in these quests.
Then you can trigger those encounters sort of on demand simply by being a high ranking officer.

With the new Levis Fixes the governor quests should become harder and harder already and eventually only spawn tier 1 ships.

The other question I don't see any use for....

Is it possible to turn off the respawn in tavern or escape boat function so I can watch the whole remaining battle without any interruptions?
In PROGRAM\seadogs.c find:
Code:
void GameOverE()
{
   ref mc = GetMainCharacter();
Replace with:
Code:
void GameOverE()
{
   return;
   ref mc = GetMainCharacter();
This will break the resurrection and game over process, so I assume that'll leave the scene loaded until the end of all time.
No clue what good that will do, but you did ask. :doff

The other question I don't see any use for....
No use for the mod itself, that's for sure.

With the new Levis Fixes the governor quests should become harder and harder already and eventually only spawn tier 1 ships.
That's going to make them boringly repetitive. Tier 1 ships should be rare - in reality they were only sent out for specific actions, it was frigates which did most of the general work. So I'd say governor quests should end up normally sending you against tier 4 or maybe tier 3 ships, with the occasional tier 2 or tier 1. So when you are sent against a tier 1, your reaction should be either "Wow!" or "Oh $#!+". It should not be "Ho hum, yet another man of war".

That's going to make them boringly repetitive. Tier 1 ships should be rare - in reality they were only sent out for specific actions, it was frigates which did most of the general work. So I'd say governor quests should end up normally sending you against tier 4 or maybe tier 3 ships, with the occasional tier 2 or tier 1. So when you are sent against a tier 1, your reaction should be either "Wow!" or "Oh $#!+". It should not be "Ho hum, yet another man of war".
I'm not sure how @Levis coded it, but the logic I came up with before should only really start giving you Tier 1 ships when you'd get to the higher ranks, especially on Admiral and such.

This is admittedly not all that realistic, especially not in the Caribbean, but it might give some measure of challenge in the later game.
It is more specifically meant for those players who want "an excess" of Tier 1 ships, regardless of realism.

Feel free to change the formula.

Agree with @Grey Roger here. If we want a special dualing challange for 100% tier 1 ships, it should not overwrite a normal and flavorful mechanic for all players. Maybe just a line to reset the min tier to 4 if the formula otherwise makes it higher?

Perhaps (longer term) for those players who want to play challange battles, a dialogue option could be added to naval acadamy NPCs, or some special npc somewhere, "I want a challange" where you can ask them to spawn a tier 1 enemy for you, or a small fleet mixed of tier 1 and tier 2, or something like that, maybe 4 or 5 dialogue options to give various ultimate challanges for players to play with.

Or an "Arcade Game Mode triggers bigger ships in quests" thing or something.
Alternatively, linked to Difficulty?

Arcade mode might make sense, insofar as this is a very arcade-like sort of challange.

I wouldn't link it to difficulty, speaking as a swashbuckler player, I like the world to feel immersive and see the full variety, throwing bigger ships at me because of difficulty would not be what I want (make their captains better, their crews tougher, sure, but not bigger ships).

But I don't think we'll get a perfect match here between all game modes and preferences (many arcade players might not like it either). Also, as much as getting tier 1 governor hunts might placate some people who want arena battles, they would probably love to have dialogue options that let them spawn a small fleet to fight as well. May be low priority, but it shouldnt be too hard to eventually implement a dialogue tree like that, that gives 4-5 options for big challanges.

A "proper" solution would be to have "massive retaliating fleets" linked to Capture Colonies. But let's NOT do that until at least Build 15.

For now, by my personal reasoning, "a chance" of Tier 1 ships would suffice.
They shouldn't need to also be common.

Makes sense, and @Grey Roger 's suggestion could be implemented by a single line that says if the min class formula is less than 4, set it equal to 4. Or 5 or whatever a suitable minimum ship to send the late game player after is.

One note, personally I don't upgrade to anything bigger than a frigate, feels more flavorful and free that way, so not every player ends up in the lategame in a giant battleship. Hunting smaller targets down can be part of the duties of even an acomplished captain, and the player remains free to reject a target they deem not worth their time.

Back