• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

where'd that damn Red get too ?

Red Back Dude

HoO Team Member
Promotion
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Well i got back home at least! boy oh boy howdy have i had an interesting week.

One simple camping trip gone wrong as per usual for me :wp photos to come whenever i figure out where my cable went.

All started out well we packed my Landcrusier and got out of town by 9pm and arrived on the coast at a place called gillards beach at 1am , set up our camp in pitch black and slept well till 6am had a cuppa tea with a friendly dutch couple camped near us and here's where it starts to get a little squiffy i had noticed a "new" noise coming from my truck, my truck is 20-sompthing years old so noises are normal but nontheless you notice new ones either way i put it out of my mind we broke camp and made our way north to Bermagui town for a visit to the war memorial and then onwards to narooma town to check in with Parks and Wildlife to see about any road closures in Duea National park our next camping destination, through the town of Moryua we hit Duea and made our way deep inside too Duea River campsite.. oddly deserted we quickly realized that this was because the nearby drop bog (toilet) had sompthing seriously wrong and smelly going on so we made our way further down a fire trail to Dry River camp site in a wooded valley close to a river ( we have a knack for names shaddup)
and started to set up camp which is about the point shit hit the ventilator my partner noticed a tick on a wooden railing near our camp not much we thought.. then another and another turns out we had wandered into a hive of ticks these things were everywhere - quick fun fact about Australian ticks http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/environment/pests/parasites/Pages/ticks.aspx they have a Toxin that can paralyze you - so stuff it we decided to brake camp again and just pack it in and go home , get the truck running again and its gearbox has a catastrophic failure this thing shat the bucket hardcore it sounded like a meat grinder eating a bus full of cats at this point i allso notice i have a little clinger on when i brush my wrist on my door and my hand goes numb , i have a damn tick right on my wrist joint SO with a numb hand/arm i crunch into 1st gear (1st , 3rd and reverse were the only gears i could get) and spanked it back up the fire trail and then the hours trip down a narrow dirt road too moruya hospital where i presented to have the tick removed and was damn near beaten up by a tough nurse that must have figured i was a hard case and got me to check for other ticks , we finish up at the hospital and i then manage to get my noise machine down to a mechanic in the town i knew who could hold my truck then settled in at the Adelaide pub/hotel in town for the night and then spend the next day tracking down another gearbox and a mechanic that has the gear to even work on the thing.

soooooooo yeah getting my truck back hopefully next week sorry for my terrible grammar but thats the way its going at the moment.

Last edited:
Welcome back mate! Y'all sure have some nasty critters down there. Sounds like you are in serious need of a vacation from your vacation!

Aye now that does sound like a good idea :beer: but truth be told stepping back from it i think we had a great time , we have a camping story that we can tell the rest of our lives and we got to spend a few days in Moruya a fantastic coastal town with mild sunny weather and a cracking local ale that had me near dizzy after only 3 schooners :drunk

aaaaaaand the photos , well a small selection of em at least - war memorial , gillards beach camp and the Duea camp before we left

IMAG0288.jpg IMG_0839.jpg IMG_0841.jpg

Got my Landcrusier back today! 5 hour drive but i am home now and it is aweomse :sail

No the infestation was too fargone we ended up finding a replacement gearbox and transfer case locally from a wreck though so its all good now

Back