• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Which is the better and why?

Captain_Relish

Landlubber
Which one should I buy? I don't care for the prize, just tell me which one is better and why.

Also, I already finished PotC on the Xbox, but I want to play the mod.

So, my dilema is between PotC build 13, AoP 1.5, AoP Supermod, AoP 2

Thanks!

P.S. Hello, i'm new!

Which one should I buy? I don't care for the prize, just tell me which one is better and why.

Thanks!

P.S. Hello, i'm new!
I only have PotC but I am getting a copy of AOP 2 this week :D

If you don't care about price why not go both AOP 2 and PotC??
PotC with Build Mod is a truely amazing game and we are all very proud of it.
We do plan on moving onto AOP 2 after Build 14 is done (probably over a year) so you may as well get ready for it by having the game already ;)

From what I have heard about AOP it is not a very good game.

PotC has lots of quests, build 13 adds more, AoP has only one and it's rubbish. Mind you, once you've finished the quests in PotC, you're left with repeatedly raiding ships and forts and maybe doing the odd cargo run. AoP has just one quest which is rubbish and may as well be ignored; besides that, there are various routine delivery missions, and once you reach higher level and rank, the governor may order you to attack a certain ship or capture a fort.

PotC has a few made-up islands, build 13 adds some more and gives them names of real islands, AoP has accurate islands but no mainland.

AoP has better graphics and more complicated fencing.

So if you're interested in story lines, PotC build 13 will interest you for a limited time, more than original PotC; AoP won't. If you just like sailing around and being a pirate, AoP is probably better.

AoP 1.5 is probably less buggy than Supermod (some of 1.5's fixes never made it into Supermod), but it's still not bug-free.

AOP Supermod opens up some buildings as well as allowing you to walk in the jungle as you can in PotC. AOP 1.5 does not allow you into the jungle at all, some buildings can only be entered if you've captured a colony for yourself and upgraded it, and if you do that, all nations immediately hate you.

I have not yet seen AoP 2, so can not comment on it.

From what I understand, the original AoP is certainly not the best.

CoAS seems to offer quite a bit of gameplay, but could do with some improvements.
People have been posting some bugs and especially gameplay annoyances.
But IF you can find it, this seems like a good game.

Then onto PotC, which is the only of the games I care about at this point.
It's really old, so if you can find it, it should be quite cheap.
This really does come recommended; our Build mod has been in the works for over 6 years
and has added a tremendous amount of new content, both look-wise and gameplay-wise.
Have a look at our ModDB Profile.

Indeed if you can, try to get both PotC and CoAS, but skip AoP.

Well... thanks! As I can't make AoP 2 to work on my PC (start.exe error), I will play PotC.

But I have one last question : should I play build 13 or should I install build 14 and install the patch as they get released?

A good thing to take note of is that each new patch does require you to start a new game.
The Build 14 Alpha version do become better and better and more stable too and the added content is certainly worthwhile.
You could install the latest Alpha and if you get fed up with bugginess, revert to Build 13 Final.
Hopefully that will not happen though and you'll be able to enjoy all our most recent work.

From what I've read of AoP CT, its probably gonna be best missing that one and going for AoP 2. I knew nothing about it till I saw it mentioned on these forums. I headed to YouTube and had a look at some gameplay vids. It looks nice. Not sure how it plays tho.

I have played all 3 stock, and in my opinion of the stock versions AOP2 CoAS is by far the best game of the 3. The graphics are much crisper than POTC, and the interface is far superior. The amount of content the fantastic modders over at Seaward added to this game is quite impressive! However, there are some serious flaws, two of the most serious being the hight of the waves and the fog! Basically, it feels like you are sailing off the Grand Banks while rounding Cape Horn! Ok, that might be a wee bit exaggerated, but you get the idea! A lot of the problems have been fixed with the current Combined Modpack.

The one thing the stock version of AOP had going for it was the ability to choose to play as a female character. The Supermod(This mod was NOT done by PA!) does add a bit to AOP, but it's mostly superficial. Unfortunately, Playlogic in their infinite stupidity, decided to use Starforce. That combined with a bad story pretty much killed the game, and we never did much modding on it because of Starforce.

When you add the Build Mod(any version after 10) to POTC, POTC wins hands down! The console type interface in POTC really makes the game look bad on a PC. The Build Mod does help the console appearance a bit. But the Ocean and the towns really do look quite good. The town architecture in POTC is far superior to the other two games.

Captain_Relish, can you describe the start.exe problem you are having with AOP2 a bit more? If your playing any of these games on Windows Vista or Windows 7, you need to be sure and install them outside of the default Program Files folder! Thanks to Microsoft's "Security Features", anything installed into Program Files is treated as protected operating system files. Try installing to C:\Games or something.

Program Files works for these games until you try to install any modpacks.
Once you do that, security measures prevent the modpack from installing properly and mess things up. :facepalm

I agree very much with what Thagarr says above about the various games. Stock CoAS is definitly the best unmodded game.
But modded Pirates of the Caribbean has got a lot going for it that none of the others do at this time.

The AoP Supermod was partly developed at PiratesAhoy! in a general weird kind of way.
It does contain content from our modders.

Thanks Pieter, I should have been more specific about the Supermod, I should have said that it was based partly on some of our modders early mods for AOP, but wasn't fully developed by us. :dance

I have all three and would steer clear of AoP, if for nothing else than StarForce - it's not worth the risk of having that crap sneak on to your machine. Yes, installation of the SuperMOD right after installing AoP avoids StarForce being installed, but it does copy the inactive program itself into your game folder. For what it's worth, my copy of AoP is destined for the garbage can.

Yes, installation of the SuperMOD right after installing AoP avoids StarForce being installed, but it does copy the inactive program itself into your game folder. For what it's worth, my copy of AoP is destined for the garbage can.

can you then delete the starforce folder and still have the game work with the SuperMod? thanks for info on this, as i really dont want SF on my machine at all if possible...and I would like to check out Age of Pirates.

My favorite is CoAS. Potc Build 13 is cool; the 14th version is ULTRA-COOL, but a bit buggy. AoP-one word: rubbish.

What is really interesting to compare is the original Sea Dogs then Sea Dogs 2, which is Pirates of the Caribbean, and then Age of Pirates and then Age of Prates 2, quite a development thru them all, and they all have each of them their good points. I have found that Starforce can indeed be avoided completely and is not a problem with AoP if you are careful. But it is something certainly to be aware of. The Supermod introduces some fun things that have not made it into any of the other mods...but certainly the Build Mods for POTC are wonderful, and so are the mega mods for AoP2...great work going on.

I personally hope for a newer Akella game with pirates. An Age of Pirates 3, but that I think will not be too soon.

I personally hope for a newer Akella game with pirates. An Age of Pirates 3, but that I think will not be too soon.

One can only hope. If Akella actually put a bit of more extra effort into it, test it thoroughly for bugs, have lots more content, better historical accuracy, graphics, realism...that sort of thing, then it would make for a truly awesome game. Build 14 has me occupied at the moment. I mean, when Build 14 is made more stable, then I'll be happier and just settle for that until I can find CoAS ans see if that can be just as good. With mods installed of course.

Well, for now Akella is focusing on other games. Just go to their site - developed games. Not a single RPG, only FPS, Adv. etc. In my opinion Akella's best games are the pirate games and Hard to Be a God. Disciples is not my style.

Name Genre
Disciples III: Resurrection Strategy\TBS
The Bad, The Ugly, and the Sober Adventure
Somalian Syndrome Action
Postal III: Catharsis Action
Pound of Ground Action\FPS
Scorpion Action
A Stroke of Fate Adventure
Night Watcher Adventure\Quest
2025: Battle for Fatherland Action
Moscow Racer Racing\Cars
Numen RPG\Action
This is the crap Akella is focusing for now...

Back