• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Whose skill/perk should affect officers' salaries?

jsv

Freebooter
Storm Modder
That's how things work right now. All salaries are reduced by leadership skill and Iron Will perk. The leadership skill used for both crew and officers salaries is always what's returned by "GetShipSkill(main_character, SKILL_LEADERSHIP)". The perk, on the other hand, is checked by GetOfficersPerkUsing(main_character, "IronWill") when calculating crew salary, but by CheckPerkForSingleCharacter(main_character, "IronWill") when calculating payments to officers, companions and passengers.

I'm leaving this as is for now, but the whole logic here seems to bit strange to me. I'd say the contributing officers either contribute or they don't. Why should they contribute their skill but not their perk? :)

Feel free to make ALL of that use the officers skills AND perks. That does make more sense.
We've done a bit of back-and-forth on that in the past few months with skills, but didn't change the abilities.

I had some thoughts about using ONLY player skill for functions specifically dealing with Divide the Plunder mode.
But I can't remember now if I reversed that change or not.

I had some thoughts about using ONLY player skill for functions specifically dealing with Divide the Plunder mode.
But I can't remember now if I reversed that change or not.
I haven't looked into divide and plunder much yet. I only know that the crew is comparing their share of plunder to the salary they would have for the same period. And that potential salary is calculated with full contribution from officers' leadership. :)

I haven't looked into divide and plunder much yet. I only know that the crew is comparing their share of plunder to the salary they would have for the same period. And that potential salary is calculated with full contribution from officers' leadership. :)
In any case, ANY function that is "general" and not specifically for Divide the Plunder only, should for sure use officer skill and ability contributions. :yes

@jsv: Would I be correct in saying that in your rewrites, this has now become the same everywhere as well?

Would I be correct in saying that in your rewrites, this has now become the same everywhere as well?
Yeah, it's full contribution from the officers now, for all salaries. It still might be different for dividing plunder, I haven't check.

Yeah, it's full contribution from the officers now, for all salaries. It still might be different for dividing plunder, I haven't check.
Just curious...
Say I assign a officer as captain what happens now? Will my skills still work on him and should it?
What happens to officers assigned to him? Should you pay their salary? And if so should your skills work or the captains skills? And should your officers contribute tbeire skills?
Also should you pay the full salary for passengers? I mean they aren't going to shore with you right? Also if you take crewmembers on shore, should they be paid extra?

Sorry @jsv and @Pieter Boelen you are probably gonna hate me for these questions.

Companions can be considered their own 'entity', so the captain and officers on the other ship affect each other, but not the player.
You still pay salary for them all though, because you're still in charge.

Quest passengers who contribute no skills should not need to be paid.

Crewmembers are to follow your orders and don't need extra pay when you order them to come ashore with you.

Does that sound about right?

Just curious...
Say I assign a officer as captain what happens now? Will my skills still work on him and should it?
What happens to officers assigned to him? Should you pay their salary? And if so should your skills work or the captains skills? And should your officers contribute tbeire skills?
As I see it, that's a perfect example of the player being his own nation. In the game, you own the ships, and you hire and fire captains and officers as you please. It's natural that you pay for everything, for you're your own Ministry of Finances as well. And as this is RPG, it's natural that your skills affect everything.

For many playstyles it would make more sense if your companions (employees, consorts, whatever) were independent captains who own their ships and manage their staff... but that's beta 16 stuff, if you ask me ;) If we're going there at all, that is.

For now, anything that's not hard to implement and is logical in some sense will do.
Quest passengers who contribute no skills should not need to be paid.

Crewmembers are to follow your orders and don't need extra pay when you order them to come ashore with you.
Agree here. If we were fully tracking individual crew members, we might consider giving the shore party some bonus. But the way things are now, that would be just increasing complexity for no good reason, I think.

Companions can be considered their own 'entity', so the captain and officers on the other ship affect each other, but not the player.
You still pay salary for them all though, because you're still in charge.
That's should not be hard to do, assuming GetShipSkill and GetOfficersPerkUsing work correctly for NPC captains. We'll need to add a character reference argument to PayScaleFactor and adjust the calls in DoDailyCrewPay and a couple of other functions correspondingly. I don't think, though, that this is urgent in a "must be done before beta 14" sense.

Last edited:
The function work as they should, they should be ship depended.

So.... everything is already good then and we don't need to do anything else for this? Excellent! :cheeky

Back