• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Why is the sea always calm - no waves ?

priatnia

Lord of France
Banned
I am posting this again cause the people are too dumb to answer. Why do I get always calm and even smooth sea in all mods after AoP 1 ? Is the engine changed by the game developers, modded or what ? It's PoTc sea, not AoP. No ships going up and down, everything happens in always one even plain ?

If noone knows why these games modding is the dumbest on earth

And besides, the icon for weather on map always stays on clear weather /not counting storms/. Where is any other type of damn weather ?

Firstly, that's not how we expect to be spoken to. The reason why no-one has answered is probably because they have either not noticed your thread or have not been available to answer yet.
Sometimes you need to be patient to get a response.

Secondly, I'm not aware of any changes to the sea in the GOF mod for AoP 2. You will have to wait for a member of their mod team to answer (I'm only involved with New Horizons for PotC).
However, what you seem to want sounds like very violent stormy weather, as opposed to normal conditions. It would require constant gale force winds to maintain huge waves like that, which is not normal outside of storms in either game.

Firstly, that is why I for one did not waste my time on that individual.

Secondly, the sea was changed in COAS just before you arrived Armada. I remember one comment about "hiding behind the waves".

OK. So several people have asked me how its going with my water experiments, so I figured this would be as good a time as any to show some results. The following vid show the effects I've achieved by combining New Horizons and AOP:CT files, code and settings into COAS. These water effects will be found in my Era's mod. You'll notice the color improvements. You will still also get calm effects as well. It all depends on the weather, wind and time of day. The waves get even higher than this now.

Is this is what you were wanting priatnia? Please be a little more polite in future inquiries. :walkplank MK

Awesome! Big wave,not storm weather like in potc but with nice looking waves,one thing about the colour those turqious parts really look off so far from the shore

I am posting this again cause the people are too dumb to answer...
If noone knows why these games modding is the dumbest on earth...
Where is any other type of damn weather ?

That's not the correct way to get a response. These people work hard to mod the game in their free time, and they were in no way obligated to answer that question. You're lucky we have a very nice group here, or that definitely would have been ignored. In the future, please be a little more polite.
I fear that proper grammar and punctuation would be too much to ask for? If you wished to do something so blatantly obnoxious, we would have at least taken you seriously that way.

MK- That looks very, very good. The waves are approaching the largest you would normally see in that area, and the color of the water works well in the first person perspective. I'd even advocate replacing the storm waves with something similar.

That does look good. If I ever get caught up with POTC work I might be tempted to give it a go.

Thanks for the positive support Mates. I am not done yet. There are still some problems. I've unfortunately discovered that the reason that COAS uses fog is to hide shoddy work on the horizon. So if I zero out the fog you can see the islands at a distance floating over the water. Also there seems to be two game boxes (close and far). A lot of games take this approach actually. The problem is that I can watch the ships in the distance step up from the outer to inner boxes. The Z factor is not the same for these. One of the ways I fixed a lot of mast crashing bugs was by editing numerous files with a constant Z. Unfortunately it doesn't always work with the weather and sea files. It is looking better and better though, so I think I will solve it. If I can't solve the islands floating issue, I will bring back a tiny bit of fog to hide their beaches, but not the large amounts that were put in vanilla.

Glad to hear you would like to give it a try Hylie! I loved playing through two of the questlines again in New Horizons this last year. It looked so danged good in B14 that it was the reason why I decided to take up this water project. I am really glad I did now. I still plan to do the Rodgers questline on my laptop when i go on vacation.

Post Capt. I will not make them any higher then and I will consider using some of the same files for storms. I should actually make a video of my storm experimentation. I have been able to get the waves to unbelievable proportions. :keith

MK

It's great to hear somebody cares about the sea hight !

I appologise for the language, however when there everybody mods the original game backwards to smoother sea than it were...and doesn't care about it...

@Modernknight - Very nice looking improvement. If it's up to me I would reach the limit in height for the waves ! Question is - will it be in version to easily overwrite just this part of all other mods ?!
Another question - could you make a tiny mod where all weather would be replaced by the waves and conditions set in current stormy weather without the darkness, thunders and rain ?

Also I don't get info on how the game changes the weather. It doesn't go from calm - to moderate - to half-stormy - to true storm etc ?! Cause there is just two weather conditions at present calm and storm /I don't count the rain and such/.

Much better. I suppose it would be possible to keep the waves as high as they can go, but that won't be making it into any official mod, for realism's sake. The game's weather changes are fairly arbitrary and random, as far as I know.

I recently read a book in which a category 5 hurricane played a part. The waves were 50 feet and one rogue wave hit 90 feet. That is approx. 30 meters. Do we want 50 foot waves during storms?

That would mean a category five hurricane every day, year-round, occurring somewhere on the map. I say stick to regular weather patterns for bad weather.

Much better. I suppose it would be possible to keep the waves as high as they can go, but that won't be making it into any official mod, for realism's sake. The game's weather changes are fairly arbitrary and random, as far as I know.

The game's weather changes are at present limited to glass like sea and one icon on the map which is always the icon for calm sea. I don't see what for realism is that. You'd better play with steamships in a lake where there's no movement. Hell, even there it is more varied I guess lol.:D

Could there be something wrong with your install? the water's never "glass-like" for me. There's always some swell. If you're just exaggerating, I spend all of my free time on the ocean, and I can definitively say that the game's small waves are far more realistic than the game's storm waves.

One thing I will add is that the more violent the waves, the more graphics processing required. My PC has no issues, but others may experience some bad jerking or freezing if their machines aren't up to it. In the mod I will add 2 storm files (mild and extreme) it will be up to the user to put the one in he wants. It will have "mild" in its base release form.

MK

Those pictures collection are very great. Is that an attempt at lifting a sunk ship or .. ?!

photostream

Firstly, that is why I for one did not waste my time on that individual.

Secondly, the sea was changed in COAS just before you arrived Armada. I remember one comment about "hiding behind the waves".

Yes that might have been me, because i was explaining to Pieter on how the waves are in COAS and posted a imagie of it stating you can hide behind the waves lol. Anyway i reduced the waves as did a few other people to try and get something better and to be honest anything was better than what we had. I have never been at sea so from my prospective the waves are normal (watching things about sea on tv doesn't give a true prospective on hwo the sea behaves or how high the waves are).

Its good to see MK is working on a much more realistic weather mod because we dio need one, the progression on that looks awesome and hope that it pleases everyone when it is released.

Yes that might have been me, because i was explaining to Pieter on how the waves are in COAS and posted a imagie of it stating you can hide behind the waves lol. Anyway i reduced the waves as did a few other people to try and get something better and to be honest anything was better than what we had. I have never been at sea so from my prospective the waves are normal (watching things about sea on tv doesn't give a true prospective on hwo the sea behaves or how high the waves are).

Its good to see MK is working on a much more realistic weather mod because we dio need one, the progression on that looks awesome and hope that it pleases everyone when it is released.
At least you could have included the original unchanged files as a patch to your mod would have been better.

At least you could have included the original unchanged files as a patch to your mod would have been better.

There you go again. What you're saying is offensive. If you don't like it, don't download it. You're lucky our moderators are so nice... I would have banned you after the first post.

Back