• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Widescreen?

stethnorun

Landlubber
So I know how to go into "engine.ini" and make my resolution 1680x1050 but when I go into the game, it's like everything is zoomed in. Anyone else having this problem/found a solution?

i edited it to 1600x900...and in the menu the upper and lower area isn't in the screen...but ingame you see everything...its only a bit streched

Yeah, it's not supported. You can force it, but then the interface is distorted and the 'widescreen' isn't actually any wider, all it does is crop the standard view.

Try this. It's from a Russian site, it's supposed stop the streching for some or all of the interface screens on 1280x720 and 1360x768 screens. I don't know if works or not since I don't have widescreen monitor.

Copy you're files before installing the fix just in case. :sail

It is all in Russian, but it appears to be a Seaward site.

Does anyone here know anything about graphics .dll's? I'm asking because I have a small program written in 2004 for an old DX7 program that lets it use any resolution your video card supports. Would it be possible to re-engineer it to work here?

I played PotC in widescreen for a long time.
Just edit engine.ini and it worked for me.
Should be the same in CoAS, no?

Sadly, no. Modifying engine.ini only gives you a slightly zoomed in and stretched image akin to just forcing 16:9 on any wide screen... :modding

ty ty :onya

No rush for me as this isn't my primary game, PotC is hehe... but would be very nice to wide screen this one as well as PotC, after all, I saved, scrounged, boarded and otherwise pirated my way to getting this screen.. would be nice to enjoy all the modding goodness you all provide ;)

Does that work? And would it work for PotC too?
Might need to save it somewhere in that case.

Well, that mod only increases the size of the interface screens for CoAS so I don't think it would work for POTC, although you could d/l it and see whats different and then try to make the same changes in the POTC interface screens.

Went ahead and tested the .ini change files and while it does fix the interface stretch, it still leaves the rest of the game stretched. Forced 4:3 to 16:9 and you get to play with a bunch of dwarven pirates :facepalm

But thank you very much for the effort in locating the file again, it was still worth a try. Perhaps someone with an uber skillset will take a look and find out what needs to be changed to correct for the stretch in the actual game itself :))

Which doesn't mean I won't keep diggin into the system, just kind of hopeful someone will find out before I have to reinstall everything from scratch :eek:ops2

Thanks again!

Maybe with the source code we can do something,
but I don't imagine we can do much with the regular code.

Will keep digging around to see if I can find something usable to correct it. Has to exist somewhere.... The menu corrections are a big help though, as now I can actually see everything on them :onya

Now... back to spelling corrections... :hmm

Thank you all again for your time,

Mol

Maybe with the source code we can do something,
but I don't imagine we can do much with the regular code.

This would be a very nice fix, if it is indeed possible with the source code. :onya

You might have a look at your graphics card settings Molitov, there may be an option to correct aspect ratio problems like this. Both my monitor and my video card do this by default, and while it is not perfect, they both do a much better job than just stretching the Storm engine settings. I have CoAS set default and just let my monitor do the rest.

Okies, will give that a try... I think atm I have it set below the 'native' resolution as the card keeps choosing one not supported by the LCD... :shrug

Will just reset everything to auto adjust and let it fly... Although this does remind me to see if nvidia has any newer drivers as well as check with LG and see if they have a newer flash for the internals on the LCD.

Srsly, I don't see where you all find the time to do what you are doing, plus assisting ppl like myself... I mean, just going through the dialogue for corrections is a monumental task, let alone programming new things, creating new graf-x etc etc etc... Though I don't mind the dialogue part myself, love to read :mm

But, this is how I learn, so thank you for all your help and I will get started on the adjustments in very short order... just hope I don't make another monumental flub like I did with Lukes patch... :facepalm

Oh yes....

Card: EVGA 8800 GTS 512mb
Mon: LG 37in Widescreen HD LCD TV <-- thinking that may be my bottleneck

Thanks again,

Mol

I don't know if this is any help at all, but here is that little program that changes the number of pixels instead of stretching them. This DX7 program has things called renderers (D3D and OpenGL) and rasterizers or rasters. Methinks this little gizmo changes the rasters. If it could be backwards engineered to work with DX8, it would be a good thing.

Back