• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Wind Of Luck

Thagarr

Pining for the Fjords!
Creative Support
Storm Modder
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
Pirate Legend
It's been a busy past couple of months for pirate gaming news, just a short couple of years ago I remember some scallywags around here proclaiming pirate gaming dead, I would say the past year or so has certainly proved them wrong! And all that piratey goodness doesn't seem to be ending any time soon! Today I was looking around a bit after I got home from another sweltering day at work when I happened to run across this interesting bit of awesome, a new indie game company called Trazzy has been busy pumping out some pirate goodness, and is currently working on a new pirate MMO called Wind of Luck! I actually stumbled on them over at the ModDB, which is interesting considering the game is currently just in Alpha.

I missed this completely when it was announced last month, I never did see a press release for it, at least not that I recall. But this game looks like it has some serious potential! According to Trazzy's web page, Wind Of Luck will feature :

Wind of Luck – massive multiplayer online game in the world of romanticized piracy. The player begins his career as captain of a pirate boat with a few guns and a small crew in a huge world of three vast regions. Player can join to one of three large pirate factions - each of them spread his power over the entire region.

The big three pirate faction hate each other and take every possible actions to soften his enemies. And yes, this means full PvP against other factions! The focal point of the Wind of Luck gameplay is a sea battle – highly maneuverable, giving the player a wide variety of different tricks and unusual actions.

Sunken ships, lost islands, treasures, "black labels", caravans, bounty hunters, pirates, corrupt and honest governors, smugglers, powerful trading companies, kidnapping, ransom, and more - join the pirate world and catch the wind of luck

They have released a promotional PDF as well, which you can download from HERE, I haven't had a chance to read the hole thing yet, but from what I have skimmed through it looks fantastic! You can also head over to their ModDB page and watch a couple more videos and see some screen shots HERE!

But wait, that is not all! Trazzy has a couple of other pirate projects worth taking a look at as well, JiPS is a pirate puzzle game, and I do mean puzzle game!

And there is also the very interesting sounding Revenge of Roger Rouge, otherwise known as R.R.R! :onya

I can't believe all this booty has been floating about for at least the past month and I am just now running across it! I need to find a different search strategy or a different engine all together, Google has been very disappointing and unreliable the past couple of years. Now that I know what to look for, I am finding references as far back as October 2011. Just when I thought maybe I could get a bit of free time! o_O

Attachments

• trazzy.jpg
    trazzy.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 54
Wow That does look really interesting. I love that the gun ports open between each firing. They just need to slow the animation down a little. I will definitely check this one out.

MK

It has good eye candy but the water doesn't work right yet. This is one worth keeping an eye on.

The gunports were really the first thing that caught my attention in that first video MK, the cannon recoil was another, I do agree though the animations need to be slowed a bit for those and the sails as well. Unfortunately it does appear that they have chosen the speed boat effect as well.

I agree with the water as well Hylie, it appears a bit too shiney and the color is a bit off. The physics appear to be ok though and the movement is not bad for a calm sea, I am curious to see just what a storm effect will look like.

I have done a bit more reading since I posted the article, the game is based on the C4 Engine created by Terathon Software, a company I have never heard of before. On Trazzy's ModDB page, they mention that the game will have 90 ships, all complete with blueprints that you can purchase from shipyards. It is really worth taking a look through some of their concept art too. I have found nothing for a final release date, however they have set October as a possible Beta launch. October is going to be a VERY busy month!

Uhh, I just went to the C4 site and look at this:
Physics

bullet.png
Rigid body simulation.
bullet.png
Real-time cloth simulation.
bullet.png
Real-time large-scale fluid surface simulation.
bullet.png
Continuous collision detection.
bullet.png
Contact forces and friction.
bullet.png
Precise buoyancy forces.
bullet.png
Customizable force fields.
bullet.png
Joints (spherical, universal, discal, revolute, cylindrical, and prismatic).
bullet.png
Full networking support

This has some possibilities! :woot

What is is with pirate games and huge ships of the line? People aren't capable of understanding that pirates didn't use those...

I hear you mate, believe me, I was on our modelers from day one about that as well, but there response was that the big ships look so much better. :rolleyes:

Ah well, at least we have gotten some pretty good looking smaller ships in POTC over the years, and that has really added to the realism.

The problem with small ships is that the mechanics of the games reinforce that big ships are more powerful: sure they are slower but who cares when you can unload a volley of chain shots at the other ships completely immobilizing them.

Wind of Luck looks good assuming they do slow down the animation and the ships as has been mentioned, and to be honest I would like to see some improved graphics. Normally I don't care about graphics at all, but all the pirate games we have are mechanically sound but aren't very good looking, so for a game to be worth my switching over to it now it should be better looking (and as functional) than the others.

We looked through some of the assets back when they offered it to us directly, though back then they wanted $75k. :no

They are not very high poly so the usage for us is rather limited. The model style also varies rather wildly, and the aesthetic of each model is not really tied to any sort of direct theme so you see a mish mosh of random styles. In all it really isn't worth what they are asking. The only part we were interested in were the ships, but those don't come in the pack. They have already licensed those to another game and it is apprently exclusive rights.

Back