• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Windows 10 Free Upgrade?

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator
My Windows version is telling me that I can get a free upgrade to Windows 10 for a limited time.
Now here's a serious question: Why would I want that?
I'm on Windows 7 right now and all I truly care about is to have something that works.
Don't care about fancy stuff or complex features.

I develop and work in Windows 8.1 and from every indication I can find for Windows 10 is that it is extremely slick and very easy to use. It takes all of the optimizations of Win8 and adds back in a lot of the desktop features that Win7 has so it is a best of both worlds. I should be getting some test versions this month on my MSDN license to give it a good run though. If nothing else, getting the upgrade will get you about 5 more years of support for your OS. Plus, you get an actual license so should you need to transfer the license to a new PC later, you can.

Simple answer Pieter, if you want an operating system that just works, stick with Windows 7.

Complicated answer, if you want an operating system that just works, stick with Windows 7, or dual boot with Linux Mint. Windows 10 is basically just a re-branded Windows 8.1 with built in advertising support. Although, as Capitan Murphy says, they have re-added some features that were removed in Windows 8, however they do not function exactly the same as in 7. Microsoft's new browser “Edge” will force feed you adds and attempt to force you to search the Internet using Bing or Microsoft's App store. It will also have the capability to listen to everything you say though the built in webcam mic in your laptop so it's built in assistant Cortana can “help” you using voice commands like a smartphone. When you upgrade to windows 10, certain features and apps will be removed, such as Microsoft's Media Center, this means you will have to have a standalone program to watch DVD's or video files on your computer. A lot of people use something like VLC anway, but there are some that use Media Center for everything. The standard games like Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Hearts will be removed also. If you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your system, the OneDrive application will be removed and replaced with the inbox version of OneDrive. Newer versions of the others may, or may not be installed in the future, but it will likely cost you.

Windows 10 will also introduces what Microsoft calls “Windows as a Service.” What they say this means is that Windows will be continuously updated for the “Life of your device,” they of course decide just how long that is and what constitutes changing a device. Microsoft insists that this is not the start of a Windows subscription based service, like Adobe's Photoshop monthly fee. It certainly wouldn't be the first time Microsoft has "misinformed" the public about it's software or pricing structure. Speaking of pricing, the chance to “upgrade” will be there for users who have already bought Windows 7 or 8 for the next year. After that, you will have to buy a full retail copy that starts at $119 for Windows Home and Windows pro will cost you $199.

The only thing that might be worth the upgrade will be DirectX 12, it is of course a windows 10 exclusive. You will also need a new video card to take advantage of all the new features of DirectX 12. In your case Pieter, that is not an option with your laptop as your video controller is hardwired to your motherboard. My advice to you mate is to just keep using what your using as long as it does what you need it to. If you need to buy new hardware, your next laptop will be force feed Windows 10 anyway and you won't really have a choice unless you build your own. This is of course just my two doubloons worth, hope that helps mate!

Sounds like Windows 10 is more trouble than it's worth then.... :wp

Microsoft's new browser “Edge” will force feed you adds and attempt to force you to search the Internet using Bing or Microsoft's App store. It will also have the capability to listen to everything you say though the built in webcam mic in your laptop so it's built in assistant Cortana can “help” you using voice commands like a smartphone.
Just to clarify:
- Edge will not "force feed ads". The user can choose whether they want "suggested content" (which I think comes from MSN, not sure) on the New Tab page or not.
- It will not enforce the use of Bing; you'll be able to use Google if you want.
- Obviously, you can still use Chrome or Firefox (or the latest version of IE) if you don't want to use Edge.
- The OS will not be listening to your every word. Passive voice activation for Cortana will be an on/off toggle for the user, and when on, only listens for "Hey, Cortana" before listening for your query.
- Cortana can be used entirely by typing and without voice interaction, or you can just ignore it.

My opinion: try it, and if you don't like it, go back to Windows 7. It won't cost you anything unless you wait until after July next year to upgrade an existing PC.

Just to clarify:
- Edge will not "force feed ads". The user can choose whether they want "suggested content" (which I think comes from MSN, not sure) on the New Tab page or not.
- It will not enforce the use of Bing; you'll be able to use Google if you want.

If you use the New Tab page as your home page, you will see adds, though they may be disguised as "news." I have not used the Windows 10 beta's, but I have read quite a bit about them. According to everything I have read, the default search box is currently Bing only. To search in Google you have to load the page in a new tab. There is a way to change this in the registry, but most non geeks don't even know what the registry is, let alone how to edit it.

- Obviously, you can still use Chrome or Firefox (or the latest version of IE) if you don't want to use Edge.

Yup!

- The OS will not be listening to your every word. Passive voice activation for Cortana will be an on/off toggle for the user, and when on, only listens for "Hey, Cortana" before listening for your query.
- Cortana can be used entirely by typing and without voice interaction, or you can just ignore it.

That is exaclty what Samsung told it's TV customers too. Call me paranoid if you will, but I don't trust any company that has a working partnership with the NSA!

My opinion: try it, and if you don't like it, go back to Windows 7. It won't cost you anything unless you wait until after July next year to upgrade an existing PC.

Once you upgrade, you can not go back to Windows 7 without completely wiping your hard drive and reinstalling it from scratch.

From what i have been reading the only reason to get win10 is to get DX12. And pay to play does not work for me.

If you use the New Tab page as your home page, you will see adds, though they may be disguised as "news." I have not used the Windows 10 beta's, but I have read quite a bit about them. According to everything I have read, the default search box is currently Bing only. To search in Google you have to load the page in a new tab. There is a way to change this in the registry, but most non geeks don't even know what the registry is, let alone how to edit it.
No, the suggested content can be disabled: http://dottech.org/181624/how-to-customize-microsoft-edges-new-tab-page-in-windows-10-tip/
You can get the New Tab page to only display your most visited sites, like Chrome and Firefox does, or to show nothing at all should you wish.
And I'm pretty sure the final version of Edge will let user choose the default search engine in the settings, like they can with IE already.

That is exaclty what Samsung told it's TV customers too. Call me paranoid if you will, but I don't trust any company that has a working partnership with the NSA!
I guess that's a whole different issue, but consider this: assuming Microsoft could record your voice from your PC, they probably don't need you to be running Windows 10 with Cortana enabled for that to work. If they really wanted to, I'm sure they would already be listening to Win7 and 8 machines with microphones.

Once you upgrade, you can not go back to Windows 7 without completely wiping your hard drive and reinstalling it from scratch.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't that always been the case with any Windows upgrade?

From what i have been reading the only reason to get win10 is to get DX12. And pay to play does not work for me.
As above. DX11 isn't available on XP, so you had to pay for Vista or 7 at the very least to use that. The difference is they're offering it as a free upgrade this time, which under the circumstances is quite generous. :shrug

No, the suggested content can be disabled: http://dottech.org/181624/how-to-customize-microsoft-edges-new-tab-page-in-windows-10-tip/

You can get the New Tab page to only display your most visited sites, like Chrome and Firefox does, or to show nothing at all should you wish.

And I'm pretty sure the final version of Edge will let user choose the default search engine in the settings, like they can with IE already.

I stand corrected. I wouldn't be surprised to see forced adds in the final version though.

I guess that's a whole different issue, but consider this: assuming Microsoft could record your voice from your PC, they probably don't need you to be running Windows 10 with Cortana enabled for that to work. If they really wanted to, I'm sure they would already be listening to Win7 and 8 machines with microphones.

It may seem to be a whole different issue, but the fact is it is a mega-corporation telling it's customers that it's software is not doing something that it actually is doing. Something Microsoft has been caught doing many times in the past. When you consider the fact that Windows 10, or a very similar variant will be heading to the xbox, the Kinect and all those connected headsets make for a very attractive spying opportunity. I seriously doubt that they are actually recording anything currently, however, the capability certainly is there. They do collect all kinds of other information about you, your PC, your gaming, browsing and shopping habits. Of course, a lot of other company's do this as well. Microsoft also actively monitors Skype calls and chat session, but Yahoo, Google, and other companies do this as well with their proprietary chat software. These companies now have the capability to monitor everything you do on your computer and have had for quite some time. How much of that information they actually collect and send back to their servers, where it is either stored or shared with the NSA, is open for debate.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't that always been the case with any Windows upgrade?

You are correct, I was simply clarifying for those who are not that familiar with the process.
As above. DX11 isn't available on XP, so you had to pay for Vista or 7 at the very least to use that. The difference is they're offering it as a free upgrade this time, which under the circumstances is quite generous. :shrug

Interesting isn't it that Directx 1 through 8 were all available on Windows 95, 7, 8 and 9 were all available on 98, Me and XP. Only since Vista has Microsoft started tying Directx versions exclusively with Windows versions. Not so coincidently, that is also about the time Microsoft dropped support for OpenGL. It is certainly not the first time Microsoft has killed off competition by forcing it's own version of someone else's software on it's customers. In fact, they seem to make quite a habit of it!

As for Microsoft's generosity, the Media Center that they are killing off will likely be replaced by an exclusive paid offering from Microsoft’s App store. The “free” upgrade is Microsoft's response to the fact that Windows 8 tanked, and they are trying everything to get 10 on as many PC's as possible. Once they are upgraded for free, Microsoft can force feed their customers Windows 10's built in App store. Microsoft is simply doing what they have done since their inception, trying to be Apple. Regardless of what they say officially, I believe Microsoft will eventually move to a subscription based Windows model, they have been working in that direction for quite some time, and already do it with Office.

It may seem to be a whole different issue, but the fact is it is a mega-corporation telling it's customers that it's software is not doing something that it actually is doing.
What Samsung did is unforgivable, for sure. I recall seeing something similar about Lenovo pre-loading spyware on its laptops for a while, too.
Misinforming consumers is certainly bad practice, and only time will tell how much truth there is to Mircosoft's Windows 10 intentions.

Microsoft is simply doing what they have done since their inception, trying to be Apple.
On the contrary, I think Apple is trying (and succeeding) to become the "must-have, luxury brand", whereas Microsoft is trying to appeal to the masses.
At least, that's how I picture it right now. The future might say otherwise.

Anyway, I think we've given Pieter plenty to read about, don't you? :wp

Lots of trouble = I'm giving this a pass for now. Don't want to risk getting more stuff to worry about.... :wp

If Win10 is not pay to play I will look into it.

You have to understand that we Americans are kinda paranoid about Big Brother. After all, we have been living under the (un)Patriot Act since 2001. That allows every single phone call and internet post to be monitored, and they are. If your home hardware has the capability to be used to spy on you, rest assured that our government is doing it.

There is a building in Silicon Valley. A very large government building full of Cray supercompters that is used for nothing but monitoring all electronic communications. It uses so much power that we had to build a new power plant to run it. This is no secret.

You have to understand that we Americans are kinda paranoid about Big Brother.
The situation is equally scandalous with GCHQ in the UK. I just remember that I have nothing to hide, so if the government is spying on me, they're wasting their time. :p

Likewise. They can't personally monitor everything that is going on, so they must be using computer filters to find what they're looking for.
Even if those filters do have access to everything I ever say or write, whatever are those filters going to DO with it other than discard it as being really not very interesting?
And it never reaches a living person so nobody is any the wiser. :shrug

Of course there was also the time when a cruiseship got stopped in port because of a perceived threat.
An SMS was intercepted containing the phrase "who will take the ship out", which could of course be interpreted as being dangerous.
Except that it was the pilots talking to each other and they just wanted to know who of the two would be on the bridge for departure. :rofl

Of course there was also the time when a cruiseship got stopped in port because of a perceived threat.
An SMS was intercepted containing the phrase "who will take the ship out", which could of course be interpreted as being dangerous.
Except that it was the pilots talking to each other and they just wanted to know who of the two would be on the bridge for departure. :rofl
And that's why these spy agencies should stop taking everything so literally! xD

Well, I just got the official invitation to get win 10. Also, a few days ago I got a new video card, a Sapphire R9 290X 8gb DX12 beast.

So the only real question now is: When to install win 10 10?

We have the Insider Preview edition at my company as part of our MSDN pack. I may get a copy and set up a VM this weekend if I get some time.

I have been reading up on it and there is a lot of conflicting information out there along with a lot of confusion.

Will my win8.1 key become no good, as can I install this copy of win8.1 in another rig after upgrading to winX?

If I put in another motherboard, and I will, will winX freak out and quit working?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I have been reading up on it and there is a lot of conflicting information out there along with a lot of confusion.

There certainly is! You would think that Microsoft would want to make it absolutely clear exactly what it's new "operating system" entails, and exactly how it is going to "operate." Especially since it's release is just over a month away. It appears as though they just keep throwing in new "functionality" any time the development team runs across some new feature request or buzzword that they simply must have. They promised Windows 10 would be different, so far, it looks pretty much the same as Windows 8.1 to me, with just some minor cosmetic changes and a lot of unnecessary bloat.

Will my win8.1 key become no good, as can I install this copy of win8.1 in another rig after upgrading to winX?

The way I understand it, your Windows 8 license is tied to your motherboard. To be able install Windows 8 on another motherboard, you will have to buy another licence. That is the way that Windows 7 licensing works, and I am pretty sure it will be the same for 10. You will be able to reinstall windows 8 with your current license, but only on that specific motherboard it was first installed on.

If I put in another motherboard, and I will, will winX freak out and quit working?

Quite probably, yes. To install it on a different motherboard after you upgrade, you will have to buy a new Windows 10 license. There is some debate on whether a new graphics card or hard drive will cause the same issue, but I am assuming that it will work the same way 7 licensing does. At least untill they actually define just exactly what the term "Windows as a service" means!

Inquiring minds want to know.

So far, the only potential reason I see to having windows 10 is DirectX 12, but from what I have read, it will be geared toward improving frame rates on Xbox One. Microsoft says that they are refocussing their efforts on PC gaming, but I don't buy it at all. They have made it too obvious for quite some time that they wanted to kill off PC gaming so everyone would buy there proprietary hardware, unfortunately, a lot of other companies have been stepping right in line! Oculas and Microsoft just announced that the first consumer Rifts will be boxed with wireless Xbiox One controllers.

I'm happy to say I will be sticking with my Win 7 ultimate. Microsoft would have to give me good reasons that can be backed up as to why I should upgrade to win 10 before I will do it.

Back