• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Windows 10: Low Frame Rates Despite (BECAUSE OF!) Good Hardware

Altough you could start by just disabling/enabling "enhance pointer precision" in the control panel.

That little gizmo does seem to be making a difference as the mouse is moving smoother and more consistent, but it does nothing at all for POTC. I am still swimming under water.

That little gizmo does seem to be making a difference as the mouse is moving smoother and more consistent, but it does nothing at all for POTC. I am still swimming under water.
you still only have it indoors?

Just curious, upping your mouse sensitivity helps? Because you said your framerates are good ...

Yes and no. Yes making the mouse faster helps and no because the game speed is so variable some places it is too fast to control, other places it is slow but ok, and other places it is just waaay too slow.

This is a game problem. The animations slow way down too.

Has anyone else tried that OGL wrapper yet? Someone should. I am not understanding what is happening. :unsure

I have been sailing around in a Polacca in POTC CAB and while the frame rates were good the stutters were not. So tonight I decided to install the latest beta4 and started a new game. Naturally I ended up choosing La Croix again and gave myself La Diligente tartane. I do like that ship. :sail So here is where it gets weird. At the start of a game and for the first 5-7 levels the game always runs really well, then dies. So here I am at the start of the game seeing over 100 fps while sailing! :8q Before it

never got past 65 or so. This is in OGL.

POTC CAB 2015-09-21 20-58-39-47.jpg POTC CAB 2015-09-21 21-07-16-00.jpg POTC CAB 2015-09-21 21-12-08-76.jpg POTC CAB 2015-09-21 21-15-03-95.jpg

This morning I experimented by deleting the OGL utility and playing POTC CAB. I went back and forth and can not tell any difference! It looks the same and gets the same frame rates with it installed and sitting in the trash can. How can I tell if it is working or not?

Well I did confirm that the OGL thingy was never working. I turned down all the graphics in the AMD control panel and set all the OGL settings to max, then played the game and it looked terrible. Reset the AMD graphics to everything maxed out and it looked ok again. And frame rates are already starting to fall off again with them sitting in the 70s now.

I discovered something else. When starting the game and it gets to the main menu, if the frame rate is over 1,000 the buttons do not work so I can not go further.

Sigh...........It happened again. At level 23 and less than a year game time the performance has dropped off a cliff.

POTC at level24 and almost 4 years game time is still chugging along. The WinX slow motion on land bug is still affecting both versions.

I discovered something else. When starting the game and it gets to the main menu, if the frame rate is over 1,000 the buttons do not work so I can not go further.

How do you mean?

I discovered by accident that if I use a different GPU setting with low settings, then the frame rate shoots up in the menus to over 1,000 fps and then the buttons no longer work and I can not get into the game. I have to run with things like 24X AA and 16X AF to run the game. That holds the frame rate down to 700+ and the buttons work.

Correction. I tried other settings and found that the buttons do work but there is a veeerrry long wait until they do. Before I thought that they did not work because I did not wait long enough. POTC seems to run slightly better with the reduced settings with maybe less stuttering and the menus are very much better.

So either the game runs relatively well, but the menus are so good that they're almost unresponsive or the menus are OK but game performance is worse?
That figures! :shock

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe then @Levis should not try to improve the performance in the menus but make it decidedly worse!
How about it? :rofl

Let me be more specific. The main menu and then the one where you choose which save to load are extremely laggy, as in 10-20 seconds. Then once in the game the scrolling menus in the store and sometimes the shipyard work normally.

But overall no reasonable person would call the game playable. I use the "R" button a lot on land.

Still trying things and may know where the problem is. WinX does something new with vsync and the video card manufacturers are working on it. With every new version of drivers I try it gets a little better. Or less bad............

I have been trying games from 1998 to 2015 and they ALL work fine, except for POTC. Even COAS runs better than ever, so it looks to be something about the way POTC uses vsync that is causing the problem.

Yes. POTC 3.3 is much better and is now almost back to normal. The hotel room and sometimes the shipyard are the only places it is still really bad.

Back