• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Windows 10 PotC will not run

haylien400

Landlubber
Hi Everyone.

I loved playing the PotC, it was my favourite game. Recently I saw the CD case and wanted to play again.

Can you help me, as when I install the vanilla game the .Exe will refuse to run. I have has Task Manager to see if the .Exe even appeared and it does not. I assume this is Windows 10 that is stopping it.

I install the game on to a second Hard Drive [D:] / Pirates of the Caribbean.

I heard that with Intel, it creates a problem. I have installed Intel Graphics Fix but this didn't change anything. I start the game as normal the the game will simply not run. Nothing appears, nothing changes and I am still left looking at my desktop.

If anyone knows how to fix this problem please let me know.

--------------------------------

I tried to install PotC Build 13 Final but this also did nothing to help the situation.

I am now currently downloading New Horizons Mod Build 14 Beta 3.4. I will see if this fixes things.

If anyone can help I will be most grateful.
Thanks Scott.

EDIT:

For other users having the same problem, find my post below on how to run on Windows 10. Simples!

Last edited:
:ahoy

Huh! You installed it in another drive so it should not have a problem with windows security. That is where I keep all my games. Therefore it should run.

Now I will have to dig out my POTC disks to see if windoze is stopping it from installing properly from them.

I found my POTC discs and installed it to a folder I created on my "D" drive. It ran as well as expected with the disc in the cd drive.

So........Could your antivirus have blocked the install? Are your discs scratched or cracked?

I didn't quite understand most of all that.
Game installs properly, doesn't run because of the copy protection in ENGINE.exe?
So installing the mod solves the problem?

Something like that. I think it's the no-CD patch that fixes it.

Hi Everyone thank you for replying so fast.

Horray the New Horizons Mod Build 14 Beta 3.4 has worked. I can now play a childhood loved game. Thank you everyone how put this huge amount of effort into this mod and game. I suggest puting this on the FAQ for Windows 10 users not able to run the game.

All I did was install the vanilla game (not to program files) in my case to a second hard drive [D:].
Once installed download both parts of the New Horizons Mod Build 14 Beta 3.4 found on moddb.
Install mod over the top of game.

Once again Thanks,
Scott.

I didn't quite understand most of all that.
Game installs properly, doesn't run because of the copy protection in ENGINE.exe?
So installing the mod solves the problem?

As Armada points out, it is indeed the No-CD patch in Build 14 that fixes it. Windows 10 simply doesn't allow old copy protection schemes to run, and for some idiotic reason, Windows will not tell you that it has prevented anything from running, it will simply terminate the program with no notification what so ever! There are many old games that are effected by this, a lot of people are having exactly the same problem, which is why I was able to track down what was happening.

Huh! Then why did my POTC run? Is there something that can be turned off that I have already forgotten? I did run this utility from the Black Viper.

Attachments

• WindowsPrivacyTweakerV1-2.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 428
Windows 10 simply doesn't allow old copy protection schemes to run, and for some idiotic reason, Windows will not tell you that it has prevented anything from running, it will simply terminate the program with no notification what so ever!
Yeah, it would be nice to get some sort of notification to say why the game won't run, rather than it simply doing nothing. Then people would at least know what the problem is. :facepalm

Back