• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved windows 10

There is nothing in Windows 10 that prevents the game to run.
If it doesn't work for you, then something else is going on.
Please provide more details of what works, what doesn't, what you tried and what exactly happens.

From reading this installing Window X should not have a negative impact on playing the game is that correct?

From reading this installing Window X should not have a negative impact on playing the game is that correct?
It should indeed still work. Though of course Windows Security Stupidity (WSS) will probably be worse than ever.

I think the only new issue we've come across is the base game not running without the no-CD patch, which is fixed by installing the Build Mod. There were also some cases where the framerate would go sky-high and cause unplayable lag, and we found that using an application such as MSI Afterburner to limit the framerate fixed that.

This reminds me that the FAQ ought to be updated to reflect Windows 10 compatibility notes. I'll see if I can do that soon.

Also if people with windows 10 do not set windows media player as default and use Groove music many of the sounds in game will not work.

Also if people with windows 10 do not set windows media player as default and use Groove music many of the sounds in game will not work.
I just tested this myself and cannot confirm that. Groove is the default media player on my PC, and I could hear all sounds in the game playing as usual. :shrug
Has anyone else come across this problem?

I've never heard of Groove music, but always had VLC installed as my default and I do have missing sounds most certainly. Some calibres of gun don't have a corresponding sound (i've had to swap them out to work) and luffing/wind atmosphere disappears regularly; that never happened on XP. Not an issue, but if it helps in this matter...not sure if this applies to Win 7 though so this may just be useless info? :shrug

I've never heard of Groove music, but always had VLC installed as my default and I do have missing sounds most certainly.
Groove Music is Windows 10's new music app, which I think is usually set as the default player. It's not available on other versions of Windows, so if you don't have 10, this problem shouldn't apply to you.

Disappearing sounds have been an issue in the game long before Windows 10 though, so what you describe might not be the same thing.

Disappearing sounds are linked to having too many sounds defined in the ini files.
Maybe even too many *things*. Not sure about that last part though.

I was missing a lot of sounds when I first started up the mod several weeks ago, I put up with it for a few days, and the thing that fixed it for me was associating all the wav files with media player instead of Groove, haven't had the problem since.

Back