• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Windows 7 install - really low FPS

stringed_evil

Landlubber
Hi,

I've installed Build14 + patch 1 on my system and I'm getting consistent unplayably low FPS right from the title menu. I did check the box for enhanced graphics when installing the mod but I figured my system would be able to handle it.

9800gtx+
4gb ram
3ghz C2D
Win7 latest updates (all other modern games are running fine)

Does anyone have any ideas I can try to get the mod running smoothly?

Thanks!

I reinstalled the mod + patch without switfshader or enhanced gfx and it behaves the same, just really low (slideshow) fps on the menu and when starting a new game. Not sure what else to try :-(

If you reinstalled the mod and patch on top of your already existing game version,
the renderer will still be active.

Recommendation #1 (simple, but takes long):
Uninstall the game, then do eveything again

Recommendation #2 (more complex, but is quicker):
Download http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/downloads/enb-improved-graphics and http://www.moddb.com/mods/new-horizons/downloads/swiftshader-v20-demo
Install these to a folder NOT being your game folder
Check which files there are in that folder and REMOVE those files from your game folder
It's an idiotic way, I admit; next time we'll provide uninstallers for them.
But it'd work fairly quickly. :yes

Thanks for the recommendations Pieter, I ended up going with #1 ;-) .. the game is running smoothly without enhanced gfx or swiftshaders. It's a shame they slow down my system so much though!

Its swiftshader that does it, it is made for computers that have a intel chipset graphics card to allow them to play the game (which they cant normally)

Running smoothly WITH ENB?
What system configuration do you have that can handle that? :woot

Yeah it's working great. What system config details do you want to know? :D

edit: bear in mind i've only just started the game, played around in the first town and did a little piratey ship frolicing.....

edit2:

EnableBloom=1
EnableOcclusion=1
EnableReflection=1
EnableMotionBlur=1
EnableWater=1
EnableShadow=1
DepthBias=1
EnableDepthOfField=1

While the colour grading/bloom is there and looks pretty, i'm not seeng much in the way of shadows or motionblur or DOF. Perhaps that's why it's super smooth for me?

GFX card, processor and RAM, mainly.
Thing is, I'm looking into buying a new laptop and I wouldn't mind being able to play with ENB.
My previous laptop couldn't really handle it smoothly.

That suggests that the one I'm looking at might also be able to handle it quite nicely.
That'd be good; looking forward to that! :woot

Stringed-Evil said:
While the colour grading/bloom is there and looks pretty, i'm not seeng much in the way of shadows or motionblur or DOF. Perhaps that's why it's super smooth for me?
It could be that not everything is supported by the game engine...

Back