• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Windows 7

Jack Rackham

ex train dispatcher
Quest Writer
Storm Modder
Watch out for Windows 7: If I try to change a .c file in Notepad I have to
1) make a copy of it to desktop.
2) change that copy
3) copy it back to its original place in POTC

Trying to change direct means a sign saying something like Acess Denied or so in english. :ng

Do you have the game folder in Program Files? If so, move it out to, say C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean or something and see if that doesn't help.

Ok I'll try. :|

And I did: in windows 7 there is a PROGRAM and a PROGRAM (x86) folder both with 'subtiltles' Program File. None of these are good places for modding. I moved the game to the desktop and that worked! :onya

You can still install it to the default Program files location in Windows 7, but to be able to edit anything you have to either take ownership of the folder and all files with an account that has administrator privileges. Or just log in as administrator all the time, which isn't exactly a good option. I believe you can also edit them if you run the text editor you are using as administrator, a real pain! Overall, Windows 7 is a fantastic operating system with some great features, this isn't one of them!

It is much better just to install it to a different location. :onya

Im making sure to install all my games to C:/My Games just for the very reason it allows me to edit the files ;)

Exactly. I heard issues from people many times before that I never ran into simply because I keep it out of Program Files.
Security + Program Files = Modding Trouble :facepalm

Back