• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Windows 8 (64-bit) Engine.exe Crash on New Game

WiredrawnMurder

Landlubber
Ahoy! me buckos, I recently found both me old Bethesda's PoTC CD's in an old CD pouch and I decided t' give it a shot.

It installed perfectly (I read for any install issues and following some Win 7 advice and installed it in a file on my desktop) but I CTD when trying to start a new game. I've tried running it in Admin mode and compatibility mode from Win 7 to 93. No changes.

I have an Intel Core I3 processor @1.90Gz, a Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics card, and 6GB RAM (5.80 are usable).

You posted in the COAS forum and then state that you installed POTC. So first we need to know what we are talking about.

Whoops... Didn't notice that this was the wrong forum (How embarrassing!). Any chance you could move this to the PoTC forum? Or simply take this down so I can post it in the proper place?

Ok, moved. :pirateraft

Now, your problem most likely is your Intel graphics. It sounds like you are playing the stock game so look at the links in my signature and try the Intel graphics fix.

Thank you for moving this to the proper forum.

Onto business: That's another fix I tried. I used 3 different Hex editors and I couldn't for the life of me find offset 0x1110, let alone string 81 EC E0 01 00 00 53 in sea.dll.

I'm not tech savvy, nor do I even come close to liking having to dig through thousands of line of code just to get results that should have already been included in the base game.
Too much of that in IL-2:facepalm

:D It be ok matey, people make mistakes all t' time. Tis all water under t' bridge. :)

Anyway the patch worked, and I can start playing the game I fell in love with as a kid, only issue I'm having are dialogue... time to dig in the forum! =P

Last edited:
When I encounter the first dialogue box with the boatswain I get stuck. I've pressed every key and button on my keyboard and mouse, the only result I get is the tick sound when I press up and down with my arrow keys. Essentially I get trapped as soon as the game starts.

You can set the controls to your liking in POTC-->program-->controls-->DefaultControls.h. It opens in notepad.

Back