• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help Windows XP: Beta 4 crashes on Fast Travel to port

All I can tell about it is that it is a Dell computer from 2007 running XP on a Pentium 4, 2 core cpu running at 3 ghz with 2 gb of ram. No video card is mentioned and it might not have one.

More specifications can be obtained by typing in "dxdiag" in the search bar.

When I first started playing POTC I was using a rig built in 2007 using a P4 quad core running at 2.5 ghz, 4 gb of ram, and a dedicated video card. POTC ran fine on it until January 2013 when I moved up to my current AMD 8 core cpu.

I don't know what is causing the crashes, but suspect it is the intel video. A $30-50 video card could fix that as long as the motherboard has a pci slot for one. PCI was in use in 2007.

That leaves the low amount of ram. As old as it is finding ram for it would be difficult and expensive.

Something else that might either help or hurt. Dunno which. It is still possible to get Win 10 for free from here.
Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users

But ultimately a new computer is the only answer. As an example this is pretty good for a store bought system. I would have a hard time building it cheaper. CyberPowerPC Gamer Ultra Desktop - AMD FX Black Edition-Series - 8GB Memory - AMD Radeon RX 480 - 1TB Hard Drive Black GUA2400BST - Best Buy

That RX 480 video card can handle anything.

Well it seems that the problem lays in my crappy system, I had a feeling it was the problem. But, considering that it plays Build 14 Beta 3.4 perfectly I will settle for that until I buy a better more modern system.

I thank you all for your help on this matter & BTW the Graphics card is a Geforce 8400 GS.

If I recall, Beta 3.4 was a pretty so solid version.
You should be able to have plenty of fun with that one! :woot

Yes, Beta 3.4 was made as reliable as we could, released to the world on ModDB, then we resumed doing new stuff in Beta 3.5.

Extra memory wouldn't do any harm and could help the system for other applications as well. Have a look at Kingston and see if they can provide memory suitable for your PC.

When I was playing POTC on a XP machine , I double the RAM, from 2GB to 4 GB.
XP can't handle 4 GB, so the result will be about 3,3 Gb. As far as I remember it was
making the game running better. I think it is worth for You to do it.

My P4 Q6600 quad system had 4 gb of ram on Vista and then Win 7. The video card was an Nvidia 8800GTS which was later replaced by an AMD 6950.

It is probably a ram problem.

Back