• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Needs Testing [WIP] cannons disappearing when trying to transfer between ships

I never got the 7th October update working properly
What was the problem with that one again? I thought that one was supposed to be operational now.
It could be that @Levis fixed that particular error in there, but I don't know that for sure at all.

Also, after I captured one particular quest ship, and swapped to it, I saw a flashing barrel icon under the compass, which should have indicated a lack of gunpowder, except that a quick check of the cargo hold showed that the ship did in fact have powder.
I'd assume the flashing icon was because the code errored out, rather than the ship actually having no gunpowder.

In the oct 7 version I fixed it yes

just wait till the weekend. I will make sure we get everyone on the same version again.

Just to confirm I was working without the oct 7th zip for the sept update and got those same bort errors none firing cannons etc which overspilled into my testing of transfer cannons (a ResetCannons from console cleared it) but then realised I didn't have the zip installed which once installed also cleared it - so didn't mention it.

@pedrwyth: Do you have any idea why @Levis added these lines to characters_init.c?
Code:
  // PB: Apply Player Type <--

ch.Ship.Type = CharShipType;
   ch.Ship.cannons.borts = true; //Levis: making sure cannons are set up right
   ResetCannons(ch); //Levis: making sure cannons are set up right

// KK -->
Is that a fix for the 28 July 2016 code base or is it needed only for Levis' Experimental Code?

@pedrwyth: Do you have any idea why @Levis added these lines to characters_init.c?
Code:
  // PB: Apply Player Type <--

ch.Ship.Type = CharShipType;
   ch.Ship.cannons.borts = true; //Levis: making sure cannons are set up right
   ResetCannons(ch); //Levis: making sure cannons are set up right

// KK -->
Not really - I presume he was just trying to solve the fact the cannons were screwed up
Is that a fix for the 28 July 2016 code base or is it needed only for Levis' Experimental Code?
Again I don't know - it seems to be in his September update (at which point the cannons didn't work until his Oct 10b zip fixed them. I think it was related to "fixing" the problems introduced after 28th July but I don't honestly know because I never even knew they were there.

Fair enough; since Levis and Grey Roger are currently not around, you were the only one I could think to ask.
My gut tells me it is not needed for the 28 July base, so I'll exclude it for the time being. Thanks, @pedrwyth. :doff

@pedrwyth: In transfer_cannons.c, I noticed that you commented out all sections related to "Bigcaliber".
Is that on purpose? How does it work now to prevent installing too large cannons on ships?

@pedrwyth: In transfer_cannons.c, I noticed that you commented out all sections related to "Bigcaliber".
Is that on purpose?
Yes :)
How does it work now to prevent installing too large cannons on ships?

The change comes from removing different behaviour for pchar or companions. Previously transferring to your ship was simply blocked if the cannons were too big but allowed onto companion ships I think (but the resultant caliber downgraded to that already on the ship). Also one way you could transfer between arcs but the other way you couldn't (can't remember which way was which). When you had two companions (the player can only go on the left) to swap between this meant it mattered which companion was put where - nonsense.

If I remember (it has been a while) I just allowed the same behaviour either way so if you swap a lower caliber onto a ship the receiving ship drops to that caliber, equal no problem, larger caliber the cannon is dropped to that of the ship it goes to. So maximum caliber isn't needed because you can't swap upwards. I played with the message strings in CharacterChangeExit () to inform the player. Max caliber IS needed if one of the ships has NONE and I think that is dealt with in ProcessExit_yes().

It's all a bit of a blur 3 months on but i'm pretty sure it was behaving as described. :pirate41:

That behaviour is just gameplay so if you don't like larger caliber magically downsizing (I just think of it as needing more wadding to fit your small balls etc in the larger bore so reduced efficiency down to equal that smaller bore) the loops are there for both directions of transfer to restore a straight block but it would severely reduce the advantages of capturing and stripping cannons from vessels - you have to find matching cannons or sacrifice to a lower caliber all round for an odd cannon.

Thanks for the details, @pedrwyth.

Larger calibre downsizing when installing smaller cannons is perfectly fine by me.
As long as you cannot get bigger guns than you already had, I think that is all that matters.
So if that is handled in a different way now, that's perfectly fine by me. :doff

I just wanted to make sure that behaviour indeed is covered differently now,
because I couldn't quite see how that worked now. But I admit I didn't study it in-depth. :wp

Back