• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

[WIP] Sailing Mod

Luke159

Buccaneer
Storm Modder
I know its a mod everyone wants, sail to a town without having to use world map to generate the town when you reach the island. I have managed to get the town to stay active for much longer. My intentions are to allow you to sail from one island to another and dock at the port without loading the world map. My test began at Sain John's and i sailed without using the world map to Charlestown. When i arrived the town or fort wasn't there so i made a few more edits and tried again, the resaults at the moment are still the same but Saint John's where i started from for each test was still there. Here are some pictures, and yes when i arrived at Charlestwon i was able to use sailt to and go right back to Saint John's. :will

Test 1
[attachment=4949:Sail Mode.JPG]

Test 2
[attachment=4950:Sail Mode 1.JPG]
[attachment=4951:Sail Mode 2.JPG]

In the last picture you can see i'm at where Charlestwon should be, from the options you can see at the top left i can sail back to Saint John's which i did and there was no problems in doing so. :onya

absolutly brilliant mate, keep it up, hope to see it in game soon.

im also working on getting two playable characters to replace pitt and someone else i forgot lol.

pitt = John Morgan lol, have to change name.

Mr-unknown lol = Andy Morgan

now henry morgan will have to brothers lol.

and theres more to come.

keep me informed of the progress mate looking forward to sailing round without world map.

Let me get this straight.. this could be the beginning of the Direct Sailing mod? :woot

pretty much lols, it's brilliant.

how do i upload my new characters and also how do i change the pic of them when i choose characters

by the way is there a limit of time the ports stay active , because i would of thought you would just extend the time, or doesn't it work like that

pretty much lols, it's brilliant.

how do i upload my new characters and also how do i change the pic of them when i choose characters

by the way is there a limit of time the ports stay active , because i would of thought you would just extend the time, or doesn't it work like that

Why don't you check out my James Barrows, look at the files I modified, those should be the ones you modify as well.

But try to stay on topic, this isn't the thread to speak about that :doff

I don't exactly no how it works at the moment, just editing and testing thats all i can do, i was so pleased when i saw i could still see Sain John's even when i was right by Charlestown however that is only a small step in the right direction. Obviously your not ment to be able to see the port from that distance which means the value's i changed was the wrong value's but what it did do was allow me to use sail too and dock in Saint John's in vanilla game after you get a certain distance from the island the port disappears and you have to load the world map up when you go back to the island just to see the town again. I'm working on trying to making Saint John's and Charelstown active all the time but its not going too well at the moment and because the reinit button doesn't work for the files i'm working on it means a new game all the time but it'll all be worth it if i can work it out. Hopefully i will have good news to report soon. :onya

thats all you can really hope for in the end isnt it, it's trial and error mostly untill you start piecing together whats what.
if this do well i would love to try it, although the thought of reaching a nother port within10 -15 mins say dont play well.
i'd love to sail for hours and then find my port, that to me is a lenghty voyage and to me sailing for that long gives me time to
read and stuff while watching my ship sail across the ocean.

i hope you can somehow make it so it takes a while to sail to each depending on the distance between islands, it would make all
the difference.

also do you know what files control the sailing mode encounters, i want to try and get the game to generate ships along the way.
if you could give me a hint on where to look, because all i know is the encounters.

No sorry i haven't been paying attention to encounters, i'm still looking for way's to get islands to generate the towns without the need for the world map. It looks like its going to be more of a challange than i thourght. :modding

well if its worth it, the challenge is always welcome i say.

sometimes i can get really miffed about not being able to do something, i usually take a 5 min break have a drink and sit and relax.
then with a fresh mind and i've calmed down abit i crack on.

it's basically about trying to keep a cool temperment, people always say that if your hot headed and rushing things, your
bound to make mistakes. so thats why i have a break every half hour or so

@ Luke

What file are you changing for your sail mod.I was messing around in the island file.change some number made them bigger. The two island I cahange are St. Martin and PuertoRico because they are closer to Bermudes. I sail from Bermudes to St. Martin and to PuertoRico.

OK this is how it went left Bermudes sail south the map icon will show up but keep sailing the map icon will change to the mooring icon keep sailing till the island show up.Damn fog almost crash into the island. Press the sail to icon the fort icon and one ship icon show up but port icon did not lit up not in range. Sail right into the range of the fort gun damn fog. Trade shot with the fort could not see the port to much fog.
Sail to S.J. fog gone see fort and port trade shot.Sail back to St. Martin before I can make sure its was St. Martin. The fog was back didn't sail very far sail into a dutch patrol ship lucky shot mag. blow up. Only the mooring icon is lit will you sail between the two island no map icon. I was playing as a pirate.

in the Islands_init: I change this line in "Marigo Port" and "Marigo FORT"

Islands[n].reload.l1.radius = 600000.0; Make the number bigger was 600.0

:nk

@ Luke

What file are you changing for your sail mod.I was messing around in the island file.change some number made them bigger. The two island I cahange are St. Martin and PuertoRico because they are closer to Bermudes. I sail from Bermudes to St. Martin and to PuertoRico.

OK this is how it went left Bermudes sail south the map icon will show up but keep sailing the map icon will change to the mooring icon keep sailing till the island show up.Damn fog almost crash into the island. Press the sail to icon the fort icon and one ship icon show up but port icon did not lit up not in range. Sail right into the range of the fort gun damn fog. Trade shot with the fort could not see the port to much fog.
Sail to S.J. fog gone see fort and port trade shot.Sail back to St. Martin before I can make sure its was St. Martin. The fog was back didn't sail very far sail into a dutch patrol ship lucky shot mag. blow up. Only the mooring icon is lit will you sail between the two island no map icon. I was playing as a pirate.

in the Islands_init: I change this line in "Marigo Port" and "Marigo FORT"

Islands[n].reload.l1.radius = 600000.0; Make the number bigger was 600.0

:nk

I didn't quite understand.. you're saying it worked? Or not..?

@ yellow-dog

You got the fort to be generated at the islands?

Yep i changes that line of code but i also changes alot of other codes too, but i have reverted back to the originals so i can do the testing in a more controled way.

Did you see this in the island_init file

Code:
Islands[n].reload.l2.emerge = "see";

I'm sure its ment to read

Code:
Islands[n].reload.l2.emerge = "sea";

Code:
Islands[n].reload.l2.label = "Bridgetown Fort";
Islands[n].reload.l2.name = "reload_fort1";
Islands[n].reload.l2.go = "Bridgetown_fort";
Islands[n].reload.l2.GoAfterBoard.location = "reload_1";
Islands[n].reload.l2.radius = 600.0;
Islands[n].reload.l2.fortname = "fort_Bridgetown";
Islands[n].reload.l2.colonyname = "Bridgetown";
Islands[n].reload.l2.fort.model = "Barbados_fort1";
Islands[n].reload.l2.fort.locators = "barbados_fort1_locators";
Islands[n].reload.l2.pic = 1;
Islands[n].reload.l2.tex = "t1";

All the town forts have the same line of code as that i pointed out so i don't know if its a mistake or if its ment to be like that but changing it didn't do anything anyway.

I want to try and find the codelines for the coordinates for both sail mode and world map, because they are different. If you sail to another island in sail mode and load up the world map when you reach the island you will be near the island on the world map. :shrug

Everything i have tried has failed so far. To allow quicker sailing i have increased the speed of 1 ship (Barque) so i can get from Saint John's to Charlestown in a few minutes. I will keep looking there has to be some way to make the towns generate without going back to the world map first.

This line of code in Islands_init allows you to see the island you came from and use the sail to option no matter how far away you are. Just increase to what ever value you wish, the bellow value is the vanilla value. :onya

Code:
Islands[i].maxviewdist = 5000.0;

Update:

I have made a few more changes to Islands_init. I have added a few lines of code and now the shore is been generated but the town is still not been generated, the fort is not been generated either.

Update 2:
Nothing has worked, its safe to say this file is used by the world map, there must be another file or two that effect the sailing mode and how the islands are drawn. Perhaps a new file will need to be made, i don't know. I'm not experienced either to say but i will continue to look for way's to allow us to sail to islands and see there forts and towns.

@ Luke

I have try it again in a new game with all the fog turn off and I have no trouble sailing from St. Martin to San Juan I just use the world map just once to make sure I was sailing in the right direction.

I have only make one line change in the islands init file:

Islands[n].reload.l1.label = "SanJuan Port";
Islands[n].reload.l1.name = "reload_1";
Islands[n].reload.l1.go = "SanJuan_town";
Islands[n].reload.l1.emerge = "reload1";
Islands[n].reload.l1.radius = 600000.0;--- This line
Islands[n].reload.l1.pic = 0;
Islands[n].reload.l1.tex = "t1";
Islands[n].reload.l1.istown = true;

Islands[n].reload.l2.label = "SanJuan Fort";
Islands[n].reload.l2.go = "SanJuan_fort";
Islands[n].reload.l2.radius = 120000.0; ---- This Line
Islands[n].reload.l2.fortname = "fort_SanJuan";

Did the same thing to St.Martin Port and Fort. Did not touch any other file.
Yes the fort and town show up. Love to show you the screen shot but don't know where to host them.

:shrug

Thats interesting however how close are you to the islands when you use the world map because that could be what courses the other island your heading too to load the town and fort.

I will try your value's out for Charlestown and Saint John's, i hope it works because it is one of the mods most people want in COAS.

I upload my pictures through my own forum which you are more than welcome to use. http://thepiratestavern.myfastforum.org/ Its just a forum for me to store things i think will be of use or is important and to upload any screenshots i have taken. :onya

World Map put me this far from San Juan

sanjuanworldmap.jpg

Sail mode at San Juan
sanjuan.jpg

Spyglass View
sanjuanb.jpg

You sailed from Bermuda to San Juan without entering the world map and the town was there?

Right no world map the boring 3 day sail.
My first try i use the world map to see if i am heading the right way. To much fog.
In my second try with the fog turn off now i can see where i am going did not use world map sail all the way.

Sail under pirate:

1-Sail from Bermuda to St.Martin no world map. Town and fort show. Fire on by the fort.
2-Sail from St.Martin to San Juan no world map. Town and fort show fire on.
3-Sail from San Juan back to St.Martin no world map. Town and fort show fire on by fort
sunk by a dutch patrol who just happen to be there.

Sail under Spain:

1-Sail from Bermuda to St.Martin no world map. Town and fort show.
2-Sail from St.Martin to San Juan no world map. Town and fort show.
3-Sail from San Juan back to St.Martin no world map. Town and fort show.
4-Start new game Sail from Bermuda to San Juan no world map. Town and fort show.As you can see from the picture.

:keith

Well Luke I hope you get it. Looking forward to see that missing fort no longer missing. :onya

Thanks bud i will make the same changes as you and see what happens. I will update you on the how its all going.

yellow-dog you can use the following key's "[" and "]" to change the weather, one increases the time of day which in turn changes the weather and the other does the opposite. :onya

Update:
I made those changes you pointed out

Islands[n].reload.l1.label = "Bridgetown Port";
Islands[n].reload.l1.name = "reload_1";
Islands[n].reload.l1.go = "Bridgetown_town";
Islands[n].reload.l1.emerge = "reload1";
Islands[n].reload.l1.radius = 600000.0;<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This one
Islands[n].reload.l1.istown = true;
Islands[n].reload.l1.pic = 0;
Islands[n].reload.l1.tex = "t1";

Islands[n].reload.l2.label = "Bridgetown Fort";
Islands[n].reload.l2.go = "Bridgetown_fort";
Islands[n].reload.l2.radius = 120000.0;<<<<<<<<<<<<<< This one
Islands[n].reload.l2.fortname = "fort_Bridgetown";
Islands[n].reload.l2.colonyname = "Bridgetown";
Islands[n].reload.l2.fort.model = "Barbados_fort1";
Islands[n].reload.l2.fort.locators = "barbados_fort1_locators";
Islands[n].reload.l2.pic = 1;
Islands[n].reload.l2.tex = "t1";

Sailing from Bermuda to Saint Martine without using the world map at all did not show the fort or the town. I sailed to Saint John's again without entering world map and again same resaults. Using the world map i sat as close to a centeral position as i could get to all of the following islands. Nevis, Puerto Rico, Saint Martine and Antigua the resaults was all islands had there forts and towns and some islands had the ships in the harbour. The next problem was the island i was closest too (this been Nevis) the anchor icon was active all the time no matter which island i was at. If i het dock i would be back in Nevis, i used the Frnch nation for this since they are nutral to the Dutch and only have the Spanish and Pirates to worry about. I think its safe to say that the Island_Init file is the file the world map uses to generate the islands and the towns. We need to find the code that effects the log into sea and from there find the town codes. It could be that a new file similar to that of the world map will need to be made using everything the world map uses to generate the islands, towns encounters and storms. Thats alot of work though and i know for me its not something i know how to do although i'm willing to give it a try after i've had a rest period from looking atlines of code for such a long time now. :onya

sounds like its going well matey, glad to here your getting somewhat close. can wait to see it implemented mate, your a true swashbuckler ya is

:dance

Back