• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIPs for the COAS era

No, these are the best pics of that ship typ, I can offer (btw, did you find my plans of the Bellona?):
A_Ship_of_War%2C_Cyclopaedia%2C_1728%2C_Vol_2_edit.jpg

Attachments

• prineroyal1.jpg
    prineroyal1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 382
I happen to be working in the Poltava, wich is quite similar in hull shape, details can be modeled using those pics as reference
Here are some pics to compare, and in the main page you can find the plans for the "Priedstinadja" which is Poltava's sister ship (same linesplan)

http://sailmodel.ru/poltava/index.htm

Niiice! We currently lack of that kind of ships for the 17th century! I hope you'll manage to make this one, it could be a very nice base for new skins and for a more realistic ship types, but, looking at the San Martin, I'm not really worried :)

Thanks Seb, I'll take the San Martin comment as a compliment.
As for the Prince, i wount be modeling it, at least not for now, but if i get to the point in wich the poltava starts to differ from the prince and no one has take him, maybe i'll go for it, since the hull and decks are pretty much the same, and an English ship would be much more usefull than a Russian one, at least in the Caribbean.

That's pretty much the san martin on different deco ! same number of cannons, same rigging, same number of decks...

i always tought about those as bigger ships... somewhere near to lineships...

The ship shape does look a bit different from the San Martin.
Maybe that the San Martin, reshape and resize a bit and it could work?
I think that was Snow White Sorrow's original idea anyway, right?

San Martin is a very accurate depiction of what a 16th Century Spanish flagship galleon, because she does play exactly that role in history. Why should we have to explain so hard on this point? Repeatedly? Read my threads for gods sake.

There was a period in maritime history where warships were not sleek or pretty. No need to overcomplicate things - and we do have the fast galleon from AOP to satisfy our want for a high-decked, long nosed warship as well, as well as many other galleon types which can and were designed to play roles in both war and trade in a single operational lifetime.

SuperChango deliberately modeled a powerful battle galleon that served as the flagship of the Spanish Armada that sailed against Queen Elizabeth.

He also modelled San Martin based on historical or historically-derived blueprints subsequently enhanced with battle accounts of the period. I fail to see why San Martin "is not a warship". Thus I don't see why we have to spend a thousand modelling and texturing hours to get yet another galleon. However we have plans for razeed versions of San Martin that simulate later developments for sleeker and faster frigate type warships without the high fore and aft castles that were reminiscent of a time where land generals commanded naval fleets.

We're optimising the use of a single model to cover multiple gameplay uses and eras of history. This is efficient use of very limited expertise. I'd like to see more of that.

I'm also surprised no one pointed out the lower gun ports' proximity to the waterline (which is period accurate) - someone in another thread was very quick to point out "unsafe waterline" for our experimental steam frigates which -are- intended to have reduced freeboard from machinery tonnage but are nowhere as dangerous as early-period warships. Go figure.

My Intention was to give inspiration for modeling capitalships of the COAS-era (end of 17th century) the San Martin is historicly correct for 16 th century as you pointed out, but the ship-pics , I've posted are a different kind and would upgrade the game for sure.

I've just meant that anyone (including me) could overhaul the san martin to have that "galleon-like" ship quick and easy... :?

@Takeda: it's cool that you post this ideas , as SWS pointed out, i was going to rework San Martin to create at least 1 more ship, a frigate rigged, razzied version (no castles), this will sound logical when i finish writing the quest.
But after that, i was kind of clueless on what to model afterwards (something game relevant that is), and this thread can prove useful to any modeler out of ideas...

Not just a Spanish advanced galleon, but we can even do a "Portuguese Man O War" which is in layman's terms a war caravel. She should have square rigged foremast and lateens on the main and mizzens, 4 masted in total. Scale this one down to say, 75% size so the PMOW is a smaller, lighter and more maneuverable ship that was used all the way into the 18th Century.

And San Martin -IS- Portuguese built. So this will be quite a believable development.

There are various ways to razee the great powerful floating fortress into a sleeker, faster predator for the 17th Century, give me a holler on msn or email/pm some day and I'll draft you some plans. I propose a basic topweight reduction package for a 2-cannon-deck short castle configuration like the AOP Fast Galleon (which I love), and a more extreme one for a HMS Surprise type flush deck frigate for an even later period. That will give you authentic Spanish frigates almost instantly, which would be ship-rigged for Atlantic duty of course.

I believe we can even use the basic model and go way over the top with the decks and castles for a Botafogo style carrack for the 15th Century with a couple hundred cannon (that's not even close to realistic as Botafogo carried 366 [!!!] pieces of bronze artillery). That would be a fantastic cursed ship boss.

A refit of an existing ship is always a good idea, because the result is available much faster :rolleyes:

@ SWS: lets exchange our shipplan-files via FTP, my private email-account has only a max volume of 12 MB and the unlimited one is my official working account from the university.

Providing infomation for inspiration is a major goal for me, because my modding skills are limited to texture and program-file editing :modding

Providing infomation for inspiration is a major goal for me, because my modding skills are limited to texture and program-file editing
A LOT of incredibly amazing things can be done with PROGRAM-file editing.
In fact, that's where the bulk of the new features are added.
New models are always nice for variety, story involvement, detail or realism,
but without PROGRAM-file editing, the gameplay will remain the same as it ever did, just with some nice new pretty content.
A long story put short: There's nothing wrong with modding skills limited to code files. ;)

Ok... let's take it easy now... i'm barely sawing it to be the frigate and you already have 3 more ships to do with it !? :cheeky

Back