• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Fixed Various Side Quest Fixes

Ups, it seems the save #59 was the wrong one... this here should do the trick!

Attachments

• -=Player=- QuickSave 1.7z
    704.9 KB · Views: 94
I've got a pump-action shotgun way back; do you mean that? The guy that had it was pretty strong :p
But I never used it; I just like the 1-3 pistols more^^
That's the one, yes.

And while we are at it: I cannot get rid of the exzessives scopes!? Because when you talk to the priests and you have several crosses, you'll get a scope for each one. I already had two until I noticed the bug, but now I'm left with one I don't need...
("if(sti(GetAttribute(itemARef, "price")) <= 1)" is still commented out...)
If you look in that same code file, you can see the reason 5 lines below:
Code:
if(GetAttribute(itemARef, "id")  == "telescope")           TossEnable = false;
We deliberately coded it to not be toss-able. Comment out that line and toss away! :cheeky

@Hotshot: One recommendation for you.... in the future, you might want to start a separate thread for each of your issues.
I'm now trouble-shooting several things in the same thread, which makes it easy to lose track of things.
So there might be a risk that I forget about one of these things. :oops:

A little problem with the assassin's quest, that I was able to begin now.
I'm at the house of my first target and it's locked! I've tried at varying hours (mornin, afternoon, night, ...), to no avail :-\
For all intents and purposes, that should have worked. Code to enable that reload is actually already in place:
Code:
chrEnableReloadLocator("Muelle_town_01", "reload21", 1)
But I had to execute that TWICE to make it work, which basically makes no sense.
This console command, however, immediately makes it work:
Code:
Locations[FindLocation("Muelle_town_01")].reload.l19.disable = "0";

The explanation for this bizarre behaviour is with some rather strange code from, apparently, the ORIGINAL GAME!
Apparently if you use that function, it is possible for the "reload number" to be something other than binary.
So if you "disable the reload locator several times", it becomes "extra disabled" so you also have to enable it several times before it unlocks.

I don't know if that was ever intentional for any reason, but it just seems needlessly complicated and annoying to me.
To prevent any such issues ever occurring in the future, open PROGRAM\Characters\characters_reload_check.c and find:
Code:
      if(CheckAttribute(at,"disable")) disableVal = sti(at.disable);
       if(isEnable) disableVal--; else disableVal++;
       if(disableVal <= 0) DeleteAttribute(at,"disable"); else at.disable = disableVal;
       return true;
Replace with:
Code:
    /*   if(CheckAttribute(at,"disable")) disableVal = sti(at.disable);
       if(isEnable) disableVal--; else disableVal++;
       if(disableVal <= 0) DeleteAttribute(at,"disable"); else at.disable = disableVal;*/
       if(isEnable) DeleteAttribute(at,"disable"); else at.disable = 1; // PB: Simplified
Much simpler, much safer and much more likely to actually do what it is meant to.

I really have no clue why it was ever coded in its original form.
Truly seems needlessly complicated to me. o_O

When equipping the scoped rifle I cannot use my sword?
So I can only give one shot and quick-change back to my sword... not very useful in my opinion.
And to show that not only other modders and stock game developers write wrong code,
here's an example of MY OWN code being quite wrong in PROGRAM\Characters\CharacterUtilite.c:
Code:
if ( refItm == "telescope")          continue;// PB: do not find this for auto-equipping!
I accidentally noticed on your savegame that the Quick-Equip key insisted on equipping a "Telescope", even though I put code in place specifically to prevent that.
But of course if I check a 'reference' against a 'string' like that, it's not going to work, is it?
So replace that line with:
Code:
if ( refItm.id == "telescope")          continue;// PB: do not find this for auto-equipping!
That should at least make "carrying a telescope" far less annoying.

Now if you don't like the "Long Rifle with Telescope", you can disassemble it by un-equipping it.
Then you can use it as a regular Long Rifle.

in the future, you might want to start a separate thread for each of your issues.
I guess so; I just had a hard time following all the different threads; but one thread and several issues doesn't make things easier :p

Ok, I've edited all files.
And all is working now. Thanks!

And all is working now. Thanks!
Almost all. There was still that "Church Protection" sidequest loop that ended up giving me quite a headache.
I've now rewritten a lot of the underlying logic and, while it may not be 100% perfect, it certainly seems to make a whole lot sense now.
Extract attached to your main game folder for this to be set straight as well.
You may need to finish the quest one more time, but after that it will NOT loop again.

Attachments

• ChurchFix.zip
    101.7 KB · Views: 99
Ok, that... I've just sold all crosses and thrown away all the telescopes, so I put it behind me :p

Ok, that... I've just sold all crosses and thrown away all the telescopes, so I put it behind me :p
At least in another play-through with the above fix, I am hoping it will make a bit more internal sense now.
The code was a bit... messy. Now it is slightly less so.

Well about "Girl & Cardgame"...

You need to do a bit more gambling; your "gambling counter" was at just under 40, but you need just over 40 for that quest to trigger.
I've checked my number with the console command (A girl won in a card game | PiratesAhoy!) but the quest just won't trigger!
I've talked to several gamblers and my counter right now is 85.

I'm also not able to get the "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" quest. I've been making tons of money (~1 Mil.), so this can't be it. But i did kill the smugglers 1 or 2 times. But I already payed my debt and can smuggle without a problem...

I've included a save for both problems (gamblers seem pretty random, so there is no point in saving in the tavern...)

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• -=Player=- Jamaica.7z
    734.5 KB · Views: 92
I've checked my number with the console command (A girl won in a card game | PiratesAhoy!) but the quest just won't trigger!
I've talked to several gamblers and my counter right now is 85.
After you cleaned them out, talk to the gamblers again.
Also check which town you're in:
4. That quest can ONLY trigger in all taverns from the original game, but not any of the mod-added ones.
For some strange reason, the Grenada tavern is an exception to that rule, though Bonaire is in there TWICE.
Only works on Barbados, Jamaica, Martinique, Bonaire, Grenada, Puerto Rico and Nevis Pirate Settlement.

On your savegame, I talked to Roger Hayes in the Jamaica Tavern and that sidequest immediately started.
So that one is all good to go for you. :yes

I'm also not able to get the "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" quest. I've been making tons of money (~1 Mil.), so this can't be it. But i did kill the smugglers 1 or 2 times. But I already payed my debt and can smuggle without a problem...
Two problems there:

1. "Andre Juliao" is no longer in the Martinique tavern for some reason. Rectify through console:
Code:
ChangeCharacterAddressGroup(characterFromID("Andre Juliao"), "Falaise_de_fleur_tavern", "candles", "sit3");
Have you had quest dealings with him already?

2. Your "smuggling amount" is still only 877, so you need to do more smuggling until you reach 1500.
Check your smuggling amount with:
Code:
LogIt("Amount = " + CheckSmugglingAmount(pchar) );

I talked to Roger Hayes
I cannot fucking believe it... I just tried this one and at first he didn't give me any option to play! I didn't even know he was a gambler, wouldn't it be for you!
I just had the option (don't know the exact text):
  • not feeling charitable
  • sure; join for rum -> getting robbed
SO, I reload and - curiously - try again. Lo and behold, I've got the quest-text... holy fucking Christ, I'm telling you, sometimes this game gives me a headache (esp. from all the alcohol I have to drink to endure it's peculiarities...)

I'm hoping on my actual game save, this is gonna trigger as well eventually :-\

I cannot fucking believe it... I just tried this one and at first he didn't give me any option to play! I didn't even know he was a gambler, wouldn't it be for you!
I just had the option (don't know the exact text):
  • not feeling charitable
  • sure; join for rum -> getting robbed
The "join for drink" and "gamble" dialogs are both in the same file.
When you talk to a character, there is a 50% chance of either being chosen and that character then sticks with that choice for... the rest of the game day, I think?
So that explains it.

I have NO idea... I'm no longer trying to remember all of the chars; I don't even know my officers by name any longer^^
Fair enough.
Maybe @ANSEL, @Grey Roger or @Talisman still remembers what reason there might be for "Andre Juliao" being alive, but not in the Martinique Tavern.
Otherwise I'd have to investigate it, but I'd rather avoid that if someone already happens to know the answer. ;)

Thanks for the console command!!
If you need any other console commands, feel free to ask. Virtually everything is possible with it. :cheeky

If you have executed the console command given by @Pieter Boelen in post #32 then Andre Juliao should be in the tavern, unless you killed him. This may have happened if you talked to the tavern keeper about smugglers, possibly as a result of the "Patric and the Idols" side quest, or after talking about smugglers to either Orable Caron or port master Turpin Cabanel. In that case the tavern keeper will have suggested you talk to Andre Juliao, who is not in a talkative mood unless you're already doing "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily", and unless you back off quickly the conversation ends with a fight. Or, if you didn't talk to Andre Juliao but helped Turpin Cabanel with smugglers then Andre Juliao may no longer be around.

Beyond that, I don't know what Andre Juliao gets up to. I never got round to doing "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" before the requirement to do lots of smuggling beforehand was introduced, and certainly won't be doing it with that requirement. So I never bother Andre Juliao and he doesn't bother me. In fact, I didn't even notice that he'd disappeared!

Beyond that, I don't know what Andre Juliao gets up to. I never got round to doing "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily" before the requirement to do lots of smuggling beforehand was introduced, and certainly won't be doing it with that requirement.
That requirement was Levis' idea and I have zero loyalty to it.
In fact, as @Hotshot points out, if there IS to be a requirement, it should be communicated a bit better to the player.
So I reckon some tweaking is required here to make it all a bit nicer and less confusing.
If you have any clever ideas on what does and doesn't seem like a good idea there, I'm all ears. :doff

That wasn't meant to be a complaint, just a reason why I can't be more helpful here. I can't give much advice about dealings with Andre Juliao if I've never dealt with him myself. ;)

That wasn't meant to be a complaint, just a reason why I can't be more helpful here. I can't give much advice about dealings with Andre Juliao if I've never dealt with him myself. ;)
I'm still hoping for some proper suggestions.

If considered to be a good idea, we can also remove that "smuggling requirement" again.
It is pointless to have a sidequest that many people won't know is there and/or cannot play even if they wanted to. :facepalm

Though of course "even if they wanted to" should be a moot point, since smuggling is quite possible.
I know you have something against that now, but I am not at all clear on why.
It was definitely troublesome before, but that should no longer be the case.
If it still is, then I don't know about it which means it should be reported so it can be addressed. ;)

There are several reasons why I've never done "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily". The smuggling requirement is just another.

Reason 1 is that you need to be at peace with France, which in most storylines I play, I'm not. Technically that's not a requirement for "Smuggling" but it is a requirement for "Cargo for Thomas O'Reily", which is a requirement for "Smuggling".

Reason 2 is that it's so tempting to help Turpin Cabanel bust the smugglers, which breaks "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily". Hostile or not, Martinique is a nice place to visit early in a game, with several side quests which can be completed on the spot and a couple of longer ones which start there. And 5000 gold early in the game when 5000 means something is more useful than whatever Thomas O'Reily pays later on when 5000 is loose change.

If it's a choice between leaving Martinique as it is or spoiling Martinique early on in an attempt to encourage people to play "Smuggling for Thomas O'Reily", I'd rather leave Martinique as it is!

As for smuggling in general, I've just never been all that interested in it. So for me personally the new system is at worst an extra inconvenience, at best to be ignored entirely. Other people like smuggling and presumably enjoy the new system, which is fine! That's the nice thing about this game, anyone can play it whichever way they like. :)

Back