• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Work in Progress - Behind the scenes of Artwork, Music and Modeling

Flannery

Scallywag & Loiterer
Staff member
Project Manager
TOP CONTRIBUTOR
Music and SFX
Quest Writer
Public Relations
Hearts of Oak Donator
WIP1-1280x720.jpg

Hey all!

We are getting closer and closer to the Pre-Alpha testing of our very first game in production at Wolf Pack Games
- and other elements are falling more and more into place.

First of all - we now have our Website Open and ready, so be sure to check out www.lettersofmarquegame.com and keep updated on our progress.
You can also register and let us know you want to apply for Pre-Alpha, Alpha and Beta testing.
Join and help us build the community! :dance
Webside.jpg

(the website is still undergoing work, so let us know if you are missing something)

@Trunks518 is working hard on the AI, @Captain Murphy is working hard on the Networking for our Multiplayer service.
I am working on the general Artwork for the Website, GUI and doing Ship Modeling.
And this thread will be a place to have some sneak peeks on what is going on behind the scenes - mostly on the Artwork, Music and Modeling.
But i will probably sneak in some updates on what these two other colleagues I have are up to as well :whipa

SO! here are some sneak peeks for you:

ARTWORK:
These pieces I did for the Backdrop on the Website, and they will soon be possible to download for free as wallpapers on the website and on IndieDB - Letters of Marque
The DuelMINI.jpg The_DuelMINI_Oldstyle.jpg
The DuelMINI_Daytime.jpg

LoM_Moonlight.jpg

I am soon starting on a brig and a frigate as well - and will include the progress in the upcoming "Work in Progress" posts.

Thank you for reading and showing interest in "Letters of Marque (and reprisal)"

Be sure to Like us to follow us on: www.facebook.com/lettersofmarqueandreprisal

Til next time - :doff

Flannery

I completely forgot to upload the latest progress on the Pirate Ketch :p

I got the plans online while shopping for several other ship plans of around mid 17th to mid 18th century.
Very little info is given about the Ketch, and funny enough - after googling allot, diving deeper and deeper into the search-engines I ended up finding the only information on the ship on.... wait for it...

On www.piratesahoy.net !!!! Hehehehe... I had quite a laugh when I read it :p

It is apparently (according to @Rider88 ) called "Hackman Ketch" - and that it is a 10 gun vessle, and from around the turn of the 17th to the 18th century.
If anyone have any more infomation about this ship, I would be thrilled to learn more about it :)

I am taking a few liberties on the modeling though - as we are not going for 100% accuracy on "Letters of Marque"
We are aiming for the right style and build types of the ships - but we are also going for player run customization.
These can range from different texture layouts, additional ornamentation, additional objects on deck, Bow Figurines, Minor Rigging differences - and stern architecture.
Most of these will only have cosmetic effects. But some will also be linked up towards what officers you have and what upgrades you have made while spending your hard earned gold earnings ;)

SO - with any further delays - here are the latest images of the Pirate Ketch - based on the Hackman design:
Pirate1.jpg Pirate2.jpg

Last edited:
WIP2-1280x720.jpg

Hello everyone!

WE NEED A NAME FOR THIS SHIP TYPE!
We are giving our ships our own names - and we want your help :pirates

Although we base the ships on known ships and designs - we will be adding or altering them a little to make them fit our game best as possible.
SO! this is a "Ketch" rigged ship, but the design/class name is still open. If you have a good suggestion, leave it in a comment below. It can be anything really...
If your name gets chosen, you will be credited in the game credits! :cheers

SO! Here is a small update on the Pirate starter ship model I am working on. Almost all details on the deck are in place now - and not much is left on the rigging.
Next week it will get its real textures, and start making its way into the game - replacing the old placeholder Brig model that has been used til now.
Pirate1.jpg Pirate2.jpg

After this one is done we are starting the work on some Frigates and ships of the line.

Stay tuned :wp:fiddle:fiddler

Just curious, which software are you using to make that ship?

View attachment 22464

WE NEED A NAME FOR THIS SHIP TYPE!
We are giving our ships our own names - and we want your help :pirates

Although we base the ships on known ships and designs - we will be adding or altering them a little to make them fit our game best as possible.
SO! this is a "Ketch" rigged ship, but the design/class name is still open. If you have a good suggestion, leave it in a comment below. It can be anything really...

Well I'm no expert but that ship looks EXACTLY like the small ketch in the video game Empire Total War.

Talking as merely an amateur ship dude she looks closest to pictures in my books to a Dutch galliot or bilander. She has a (double ender) design which is how the Dutch build their boats. So I would say call her a Galliot because from what I read about the bilander they were not often armed and were used most in the Baltic. I can't remember what they call her in Empire Total War. Maybe I will play a little to see.

Good entry of a name there @Galleon Love :doff

I never saw them in Empire Total War - But I am then pretty sure it is based on the same original plans of the Hackman Ketch.
It's the details and assets on deck mostly that differ from the original.

I was actually thinking of the Dutch style when I saw the plans for this, as it reminded me of the typical Fluyt style in the rear :)

Just for record though - in general, we are not going for 100% accuracy here - so names can be anything really, and you can enter with as many as you like :)

**EDIT**
I just now did a google search on the Empire Total War Ketch, and I think you are spot on - the Bomb Ketch in Total War MUST be based on the same original, as the hull and rigging is the exact same ;)

And thanks to you, we have more to go on regarding to the History of this ship - as there will be a little piece on each ship on which class or design it is based on, and til now I did not have much to go on for this particular one - but It is indeed a Galliot Bomb Ketch.
And regardless whether we pick your suggestion for the ingame name or not, I will make sure you are credited for the help on giving us that vital information ;) Thanks again

Here is a similar merchant one:
galiot-german.jpg

Last edited:
@Armada Using Blender mate. Converted from Maya, and I must say I am loving Blender. The workflow suits my way of work soooo much better.
And I only had the student version of Maya, which basically left me with no way of using it for a commercial project.

So again... Blender it was...hehe. Was quite a easy crossover as well. More or less taught myself Blender in 2-3 days.

She's wearing the textures and colors I had on while modeling - not the ones she will be using when they are finished, and this is not how that will look on the end.

Working on the textures with Substance Designer now ;)

Playing with reflection/refraction today to try and get the shadows knocked down a bit and make the water look a bit less solid.
k02Hi.png

A little test of the water system in Letters of Marque
Here showing where we are at rough seas so far - and the test version of my little Pirate Galliot Ketch getting bashed around a little.... :p

Enjoy!

Doing some stormy seas testing with two different ships to make sure they look and respond realistically.

k0ZVS.png

I have to admit, it looks pretty good so far.

Greetings all!

New model in the making :)
A Swan Sloop, and based on HMS Fly. But I will be making some personal touches to it as well.
When this one is done, I will do a Frigate - before the trusty old Ketch we have been using for testing will get a little revamp and facelift ;)

SwanSloop.png SwanSloop2.png

We are already testing the current build. so if you want to help up squish some bugs - or just sink us Devs :pirates go to www.lettersofmarquegame.com and download the current build there - all FREE
Hope you enjoy!

:ship

@Mirsaneli Those are even old pics :)

Go to the latest post from @Captain Murphy and you will get a updated picture of the graphics.
Here are a few quick videos for you from that pool :)

She is coming along quite nicely! :onya

Alright! SwanSloop4.png SwanSloop7.png SwanSloop5.png SwanSloop6.png

New update on progress on the Swan Class Sloop, based on HMS Fly.
I put on some basic textures mostly for my own sanity, and to get the "right feel" while modeling the details and rigging.
:ship

Almost done with the hull and details there. Been concentrating on getting the UV's right before I start on the rigging ;)
SwanSloop8.png

Back