• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

World Map/Sea Time Correlation?

Mafeking Smalls

Powder Monkey
I've not seen this mentioned anywhere, but it is a bit confusing when the time on the world map advances so fast, and has no link to the time taken to sail anywhere on the 'sea' view.

If I come to an island in the world map, finding the harbor can take a day, but if I go to the sea view and 'sail to' I'm told the same distance took say 10 minutes and 34 seconds. It takes rather too long to get from one side to another on the World Map.

From the U.S. East Coast to Puerto Rico is about 900 miles sailing distance, which is usually covered in under 11 days by a small cruising boat. It shouldn't take me the same amount of time to travel a half or 2/3 that in a much larger vessel.

Is there a correlation programmed between the world map and the island map distance/times? Is it different for those that play 'iron man' and go island-hopping manually?

:bonaparte Napoleon is confused.

Problem is that the scale of the worldmap and 3D sailing mode are by default not equal at all.
So where it might take a few days to sail from island to island on the worldmap, this would take a few hours in 3D sailing mode.
To compensate for that discrepancy, some code was added to add a day for each hour of sailing time.
Doesn't make much sense, but it was the easiest solution.

This is changed with the Open Sea Mod, which is enabled in Iron Man Mode, but can also be enabled manually at the top of PROGRAM\InternalSettings.h .
That increases the size of the world in 3D sailing mode so that it matches with the worldmap.
Effect is that DirectSail voyages take much longer and islands seem to be much further apart, like they should be.

Give it a try and see if you like it. :cheers

I just want to say that "sail to" assumes you are traveling at top speed all the way and what it claims is a 10 hour trip more often takes 3 days.

Thanks for the clarification chaps. I'll have a look at it later and see if with "open sea" it makes more sense! I've been working up to 'iron man' since re-installing. As I've never actually finished the main quest (rather like my experience with S.T.A.L.K.E.R., where fiddling with mods means the game playing never really happens) I'm carrying on with that for the moment.

However, my other point was that the times on the world map don't make sense either, not just in relation to 'sail to' - as with the cruising yacht of today, say 30ft, I can go maybe 100 miles a day or more if trimmed well in the trades, yet it can take me almost two weeks in a 100ft ship to go about 300 miles on the world map.

Is there a simple multiplier change (like in the Total War games one could change the number of years per turn with one notepad alteration) to slow things down a little on the world map? Sometimes I get stuck on a bit of land and it's days before I even leave the bay!

What kind of speeds are you making? In game I'm usually averaging around 2 knots fighting head winds all the way.

Have you got any sails?! :pirateraft

In my current xebec I'm making 8+ knots in force 5s, which seems about right. I assume 4 knots for passage-making in smaller boats, so with the trades and larger vessels greater values should be commensurate. 250 miles a day in the roaring forties was not unheard of.

My fleet consists of a Spanish Treasure Galleon, a Heavy East Indiaman, and A Heavy Spanish War galleon. The treasure galleon can hit 9 knots with empty holds in the strongest wind. With full holds and beating into the wind it does 0 -4 knots.
Beta3 2014-09-05 18-44-52-75.jpg

However, my other point was that the times on the world map don't make sense either, not just in relation to 'sail to' - as with the cruising yacht of today, say 30ft, I can go maybe 100 miles a day or more if trimmed well in the trades, yet it can take me almost two weeks in a 100ft ship to go about 300 miles on the world map.
That's not the worst of it. Before going to the world map, whether after leaving port or after a fight, make sure you're pointing approximately the right way. It can take the best part of a day just to turn round on the world map!

My fleet consists of a Spanish Treasure Galleon, a Heavy East Indiaman, and A Heavy Spanish War galleon. The treasure galleon can hit 9 knots with empty holds in the strongest wind. With full holds and beating into the wind it does 0 -4 knots.

As far as I'm aware, the Spanish were not very good at making seaworthy vessels, the galleons being a case in point. Unwieldy, top-heavy and useless in anything but a decent wind astern. I don't think they'd progressed much from the Armada days, when the lack of manoeuvrability was fatal against Drake's 'little ships'. I suppose the fore-and-aft rig wasn't then considered viable, although it never really was for larger vessels because of the difficulty of sail-handling.

I hadn't seen that thread, nor been aware of "L'hermione"! It sounds a most interesting project, so thank you for bringing that to my attention. Seeing your comment there, Columbus had a rough time of it with the poor choice of course (no Maury's Sailing Directions then!) and the cogs of the 15th century were no Viking longships in terms of sea-keeping abilities!

That's not the worst of it. Before going to the world map, whether after leaving port or after a fight, make sure you're pointing approximately the right way. It can take the best part of a day just to turn round on the world map!

That is another real problem! I imagine those on shore having a good laugh as they eat a leisurely lunch and watch the nincompoops on board make a complete hash of turning 180 degrees all through the day.

Of course, much later the improved designs and better understanding of buoyancy and displacement allowed great speed increases - witness the Cutty Sark overtaking SS Britannia at 17 knots, or I think Lightning making 450 miles in 24 hours. Hopefully we'll come back to another age of sail... It certainly beats supertankers!

Hehe. The treasure galleon is the San Felipe launched in 1625. The heavy war galleon is the San Martin launched in 1579 and part of the Spanish Armada of 1588. The heavy east indiaman is of unknown origin but is similar to the ship Blackbeard captured and is from the same period as the others.
You do know that the English ran out of gunpowder without sinking a Spanish ship? It was when the Spanish anchored at Calais that the English attack with fire ships was effective.

That's about the right period for not being very good sailors then! I didn't know about the powder issue, but I understand the English guns weren't powerful enough for the Spanish planking. The story goes too that the Dons couldn't depress their guns far enough to aim properly! Their sea-keeping abilities didn't help with the subsequent storm either. :nogood

Whenever I sail out of Plymouth, I always sing "Drake's Drum" for a bit of historical fun: "When the Dons sight Devon, I'll quit the port of Heaven, and drum them down the Channel, as we drummed them long ago". The legend is that his drum will beat if the Spanish ever attempt another invasion... :whipa

Thanks! A good read. It's sobering to think how little progress there had been in seaworthiness since the Roman period, when there was a 50% chance a winter sail would end in disaster!

Back