• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Discussion Would a James Cook Storyline be a good idea for New Horizons?

I always liked the idea of having Explorer gameplay.

Who is going to make it a reality?

The problem with an exploring game involving James Cook is that by the time he was sailing around, the Caribbean had been pretty well explored, charted and settled. He did his exploring in the Pacific. If you want to create an exploration-based story, the aptly named "Early Explorers" period might be a better setting. ;) Otherwise it would be relatively easy to add James Cook as a Free-Play character, but then he's yet another British naval officer with little to distinguish him from any others.

The other problem with an exploration-based story is that unless you can re-model all the islands, you'll always be boldly going where someone else has already been. You can disable the ports from sea but if you sail to the right place, you'll still see a port, you just can't dock there. You can disable the reloads leading to the port from land but you'll still be at a town outskirt in front of a gate which doesn't open. And if you disable the reloads leading to the outskirt then there may not be much of the island left to explore.

Perhaps have the exploration code fiddle with a lot of reloads so that instead of leading to town outskirts, they lead to some other piece of jungle, which then leads to a shore, where you earn some sort of reward for finding a location which one day will be a port. It could be similar to what I did in "Ardent", rerouting some reloads to allow the player to walk from Santiago to Playa de Sierra Maestra without trespassing on the special outskirt created by @Bartolomeu o Portugues for his storyline. But to bypass all the ports and outskirts which are to be explored, it would need to be on a much larger scale. Good luck! :D

If you’re handy with PHP and JavaScript then you’ll probably adapt well to the game code. :onya
Or Matlab. Or the other way around (e.g. learn PotC game code from scratch, then start using Matlab; that's what I did :cheeky ).

Back