• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

XInterface.dll crashed violently...

CaptnLysop

Sailor Apprentice
Hey;

I had this prob bug me for about 1h or so before I figured out the fix for it;
Changed my ingame sound settings, clicked ok, quit the game. All normal so far.
But then I can't remember what exactly happened, only thing I know is that it involved me loading the game several times, changing some modfiles, also clicking "reinit" plenty times, also what I did I backed up my Savegames + options file, and copied some modded files back and forth to the game folder, went into the game, thinking "I got it this time" and load my save-game, crash. Try to go to the options screen, it takes 3x longer than usual, sometimes crash, sometimes crash after clicking "OK", then sometimes crash after clicking on "Load", sometimes AFTER trying to load a savegame, either with something "stackhash" in Engine.exe or "Xinterface.dll".
Pooh, 'nuff said know, here's how to fix it!

I found out that something messed up my "options" File in both my Save-Folder and the Main Folder. Deleted both "options"-Files. Went back into the Game. Changed my Settings again, OK. Load my game and.... I'm in the game, still shooting the hell out of that dutch schooner, lol. Changed the Settings in my Save-File. Quit the Game. Started the Game, loaded, all fine again.

And yes there is a Thread in the "POTC"-Part of the Forum already, but this is COAS, so I figured having a "newer" Thread on how to fix it 'd be nice.

*EDIT* Looking at the "corrupted" files and the new ones the game made after deleting I see the problem, LMFAO big time!!!

This is part of the last lines in my current file:
mouse.x_sensitivity=0.5000000 mouse.y_sensitivity=0.5000000

In the corrupted file the last line almost completely lookes something like:
sensA‰4$`fÇD $mous#ëòöÿÿ‰ .... and so on, lol.

I've been modding for quite a while, and know good enough that this Sh*t means that something got injected into the file that shouldn't belong there, as far as I know the options files in POTC and the others are all Plain-Text, so if there'd be a friggin gibberish code in there, that's bound to crash the hell out of the game. So beats the living bejesus out of me what injected some weird linux or somezing in my options file. It gone now anyways.

Back