• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

XP or Vista OR Windows 7?

i kinda want to try an all in one,but those look very expensive for little power,so not sure if they are worth it yet atleast :shrug

Update on that little e-machine I bought .The crappy thing quit connecting to the internet after one days use . I spent all day friday talking to some nitwit on their customer suport line . He didn't tell me anything I didn't already know .Probably would have taken half an hour if he spoke english .Sounded like Pakistan or India very thick accent. Anyway I took it back and exchanged it for another one . I was going to insist on getting my money back ,but one of my freinds that works there said you got a fifty fifty chance of getting a real good computer or a lemon .So I figured I'd give ir another shot .After all if I buy a computer with the same stats from the computer store it'll cost me 600 dollars . One of those top end computers like you guys are talking about would probably cost more than my truck xD:

I am currently working on an ancient eMachine for my cousin, 500 Mhz Intell Celeron! :woot He only had like 32 meg of ram and Windows 98 :? I installed an old PC133 256 Meg module I had laying around, and I am currently putting XP on it for him. :modding

Sounds like your first one might have had a flaky Ethernet port will, sometimes that happens on those cheap motherboards. Those systems also tend to have cheap power supply's in them as well, just enough to boot the thing, but nothing left over for adding new hard drives or DVD drives. You can replace those fairly easily though if you need more power for something. Just out of curiosity, what's the model number on the one you picked up?

I am currently working on an ancient eMachine for my cousin, 500 Mhz Intell Celeron! :woot He only had like 32 meg of ram and Windows 98 :? I installed an old PC133 256 Meg module I had laying around, and I am currently putting XP on it for him. :modding

Sounds like your first one might have had a flaky Ethernet port will, sometimes that happens on those cheap motherboards. Those systems also tend to have cheap power supply's in them as well, just enough to boot the thing, but nothing left over for adding new hard drives or DVD drives. You can replace those fairly easily though if you need more power for something. Just out of curiosity, what's the model number on the one you picked up?
The first one was a EL1306g? I think .When I went to exchange they were out of those and I got an EL1200-07w . Looks like exactly the same computer as far as hardware just the tower case looks different. My freind that works at a local computer store said that since it wouldn't do a system restore (got an error message )then it was probably a faulty hardrive or memory. Anyway this one seems to work ok so far ,fingers crossed ,and knock on wood :rolleyes: .Hopefully if it does have a problem it will show up before the 15day return policy is up :facepalm . I wouldn't want to have to deal with their customer support again. :modding

Looks like a pretty good system for the money will, not bad at all. Btw, I ran across this emachineupgraders forum while looking up some info about the computer I was working on, looks like some pretty good info there. probably much better support there than you could ever get from emachines official site

http://s8.zetaboards.com/emachineupgraders/index/

Windows 7 Rocks! I've been using it as a Beta tester for several months now. It similar to Vista, with more bells and whistles, easier to deal with security and hella faster than XP or Vista.

As for e-machines, you pays your money and you rolls the dice. I used to work for e-machines, before they shipped all the support jobs over-seas. They have good and bad models just like any manufacturer. Only reason I would not get one is they don't have a SLI enable model that I have ever run across.

Cap'n Drow

I just got Windows 7 up and running myself over the weekend, as much as I hate to admit it, I am actually quite impressed with what I have seen so far. It's fast and stable and so far no BSOD in site! Microsoft is really starting to scare me! It's almost like they have completely changed their business model, they are actually becoming innovative, and that scares the hell out of me! If they keep this up, they might actually succeed at Uncle Bills plans for world domination! :?

Just updated the topic header (as it isnt really an XP vs Vista topic (as Windows 7 is included)

I WANT MY NEW COMPUTER SO I CAN HAVE WINDOWS 7, my brother just got a copy and it looks really good

I DEMAND SCREENSHOTS! Provided you can sneak onto his machine, that is. xD:

And, in other news, sounds like you're not the only one getting a new computer for Christmas. :cheeky :woot Whatever's wrong with this one now, it moans like an old whore when I start it up in the morning. xD: The first time it happened, I ran out of the room. :urgh xD:

:? ... xD:

...no comment! :cheeky

:rofl

Not that I know what that actually sounds like but, well, it seemed to work good in the sentence. :cheeky

Back