• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help You want to help but can't code?

Btw @WeekendWarrior here you can find a tutorial about how to add books to the game:
http://piratesahoy.net/wiki/new-horizons-Adding-Readable-Books/
But I can do that for you too. It's about 1 minute work of so, so thats not that hard ;).

Thanks mate, but first I gotta finish it, you know.

Now, about your early post; I haven't give it much thought but I think it's open to discussion. If you can give me some spesific answers, I think it will proceed more swiftly. And about that pirate terms, I find some of them very cheesy and I didn't want it to sound like an disney paid fat old man telling the story. I don't know if I could explain that. And also I have not planned the author as a well-educated aristocrat. I think I'll go with a back story that the author seems like an adventurer sailor who had read much. I'm open for suggestions, as you know.

Now to my questions;
1 - Do I have to think about all the storylines to be historically correct or do we have a spesific year that I can write a story in and we can use it on all of the storylines?
2 - I am mixing up the characters with the true myths and as we know from the movies. Would that be ok? Or should I just stick with the movies?
3 - I love to joke while I write this kinda' stuff. So, am I allowed to break the 4th wall in the game? And if I am, what are my boundries?
4 - Why am I blabbering so much? It makes me look kinda' insane, which is quite good for the job i'm supposed to do in a way I guess.
5 - What kinda' underwear Tia Dalma is wearin'? Since you guys modelled her, I thought you should know.
6 - Does one of you guys have the power to kick me from the forums if I post this... well... post full of blabber and two pages long?

These are just my opinions, could be others think differently about it:

1 - Do I have to think about all the storylines to be historically correct or do we have a spesific year that I can write a story in and we can use it on all of the storylines?
You can write a book for a specific year. We can say during which time periods the book is avaible. That's also true for the storylines. Say you write about something that happens in one of the storylines we could just disable that book for that storylines (and all that are earlier).

2 - I am mixing up the characters with the true myths and as we know from the movies. Would that be ok? Or should I just stick with the movies?
Go ahead with using your fantasy if you want. Feel free to use your imagination. Maybe I will like it so much I will make a sidequest based on whats happening in the book :p.

3 - I love to joke while I write this kinda' stuff. So, am I allowed to break the 4th wall in the game? And if I am, what are my boundries?
Little jokes are no problem. We have small easter eggs all over the game, Like characters named after developers etc. Breaking the 4th wall can be done a little bit. Just don't overdo it.

4 - Why am I blabbering so much? It makes me look kinda' insane, which is quite good for the job i'm supposed to do in a way I guess.
Think so yes

5 - What kinda' underwear Tia Dalma is wearin'? Since you guys modelled her, I thought you should know.
I can't imagine she is wearing any ...

6 - Does one of you guys have the power to kick me from the forums if I post this... well... post full of blabber and two pages long?
I can't ban you but some of the others can yes ;).

Humour in books would be welcome! I still want to read the contents of "Boelen Algebra" someday.
It had better be complete and utter mathematical insanity! :razz

Humour in books would be welcome! I still want to read the contents of "Boelen Algebra" someday.
It had better be complete and utter mathematical insanity! :razz
Challenge accepted ;).

Just finished watching S2E5 of Da Vinci's demons. Can someone please write the Diary of Americo Verspuci and especially his debate about how to call the new continent. If he should call it Vespucia or not :p. Else I will probally write it my self soon and use it as a skill book :p.

In the new update which will be included soon you can find skillbook2 till skillbook4 in the folder POTC\RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\BOOKS
They still need some text.

White. Their camp is on the North Pole. ;)

Jack Sparrow and his two lieutenants stay a night in Tortuga tavern, where they're charged 10 gold each - 5 for the normal tavern rate and 5 for the night's company with the bar wench. It still works out cheaper than going to the brothel, so Jack takes 10 gold from each lieutenant, another 10 gold from his own pocket, then hands over the 30 gold total. The following morning the bar wench says that she forgot that there's a special offer for a foursome, it's only 25 gold total, and hands 5 gold back to Jack. Jack puts 1 gold in his pocket, gives 1 gold to each of his lieutenants, then gives the other 2 back to the wench. Now there are two problems with this story. One is that Jack Sparrow, having got his hands on 5 gold, would not willingly part with it again. The other is that each man has now paid a total of 9 gold, which together with the 2 gold Jack gave back to the wench makes a total of 29 gold. Where's the missing gold piece?

Boelen Algebra is going to have to include some algebra:
Theorem : All numbers are equal to zero.
Proof: Suppose that a=b. Then
a = b
a^2 = ab
a^2 - b^2 = ab - b^2
(a + b)(a - b) = b(a - b)
a + b = b
a = 0
Furthermore if a + b = b, and a = b, then b + b = b, and 2b = b, which mean that 2 = 1 and your two-mast brig is actually a one-mast tartane.

Theorem: All numbers are equal.
Proof: Choose arbitrary a and b, and let t = a + b. Then
a + b = t
(a + b)(a - b) = t(a - b)
a^2 - b^2 = ta - tb
a^2 - ta = b^2 - tb
a^2 - ta + (t^2)/4 = b^2 - tb + (t^2)/4
(a - t/2)^2 = (b - t/2)^2
a - t/2 = b - t/2
a = b
So all numbers are the same, and math is pointless, which means it is time to put down this book and get back to the helm before you hit that rock ahead.

Something like this is also fun ;)
h9F7877E2

LOL. We're gonna need a new thread for "Boelen Algebra" at this rate. :p

Eeexcellent! Good stuff here. We're definitely going to have to put that into the final Beta 3.2 release. :woot

Today I'm just putting all "new stuff" together in an update, but if I find some more time,
I want to try putting those readable book textures to use in the game. At least a couple.
Would be nice to have ALL books readable for Beta 3.2.

You can find a lot more maths jokes (including the two pieces of algebra I included above) here:
http://www.ahajokes.com/math_jokes.html

Then there's Blackbeard's mind-reading trick:
Blackbeard: "Think of a number between 1 and 10 but don't tell me what it is."
Pirate 1: "Got it."
Blackbeard: "Your number is 4."
Pirate 1: "No, actually it's 6."
Blackbeard: "Wrong answer." <BANG> "Think of a number between 1 and 10 but don't tell me what it is."
Pirate 2: "Got it."
Blackbeard: "Your number is 7."
Pirate 2: "I was thinking of 3 but suddenly I'm thinking of 7."

If People want to help please let me know. We still have a lot of tutorials which Need to be converted to the wiki. If People want to help please do!
Reply here to get more info.

Back