• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help You want to help but can't code?

Please report all bugs you find to the bug tracker so we can fix them, and please test fixes which are posted there.

I'm looking for someone who can make a nice tutorial about the new way of Smuggling.
If you think you can do this please let me know and post it here when its done. I will add it to the wiki then so new people can look up how to do it.

For the FAQ, you mean? Could be useful.

Also perhaps one on how to get rid of Cursed Coins and Albatrosses.

So anyone wanna help with this?

If you got some time on your hands and want to help please do this:

Just got visit differnent location in the game. Try to visit as many as possible and see if the loading screens for these locations are correct, So if you enter the shop it should say shop on the loading screen and the screenshot should look like the location you are going in.
If this is not the case please report them here:

http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/correction-for-certain-location-loading-screens.24434/

For the FAQ, you mean? Could be useful.

Also perhaps one on how to get rid of Cursed Coins and Albatrosses.
Try this for Albatrosses. Ideally put spoiler tags around each line. I'd like the first hint about medical research to be the only thing immediately visible, with further hints available if the reader can't figure out the next step for himself. (If you've ever seen UHS Hints for adventure games, you'll have some idea of how this is supposed to look.)

Attachments

• albatross.zip
    436 bytes · Views: 197
Looking good! Thanks a lot. That'll do nicely in the FAQ indeed.

What other things do we need to cover there? Certainly some details on Cursed Coins too. Both the disadvantages, how to get rid of them AND the advantages.
And the new Long Rifle thing too.

There are advantages to cursed coins? As far as I know, the only advantage of a cursed coin is as compared to an albatross, which is that once you've disposed of one coin, you never need to do it again. Albatrosses, despite the best efforts of whoever is putting them into chests, never become extinct.

I did the albatross one first just to see if the format in which I presented it is acceptable. If so, and if you tell me what's good about cursed coins, I'll have a go at that.

The Cursed Coins ended up as quite an extensive feature that can be both a good thing and a bad thing depending on what you like.

The curse is in effect as long as there are less than 882 coins in the chest on Isla de Muerta. On Arcade Game Mode this is the case by default, on Realistic Game Mode this is not.
Cursed Coins always give -1 Luck which stacks up if you have more than 1. So that is pretty evil, I admit.

If the curse is in effect (eg. Arcade Game Mode only) and you find a random cursed coin, this automatically slips into your inventory and curses you.
This only applies to the first one; any other ones you can leave. Or better: Take and sell! That doesn't do anyone any harm either.

While being cursed, you turn into a skeleton at night and are attacked by everyone on sight.
However, you also get a substantial HP bonus while being a skeleton which could be useful.

After a while of being cursed, your ship's sails become torn and eventually you'll start trailing fog too.
These are just movie-based special effects and have no actual impact on gameplay, other than the fog impeding your vision.
To prevent the fog being too annoying, it clears up substantially while in 1st "Person" Sailing Mode.

Having a single coin doesn't do you much good, but it is totally possible to plunder the chest on Isla de Muerta both in Arcade and Realistic Game Mode.
If you do so, you can do the following things:
1. Sell them for a very substantial amount of money
2. Give coins to your officers and companion captains on purpose to give them the nightly HP bonus too
3. Put coins in your and/or your companions' Weaponslocker to curse your crew, making them very strong or even invulnerable during nighttime sea battles and boarding actions

Depending on how many coins are missing from the chest on Isla de Muerta, a certain percentage of your crew is cursed.
Cursed crew does not consume rations and rum, which saves you money to run your ship.
However, they then also do not get the morale bonuses associated with food and rum consumption, so it'll be harder to keep them happy.

So in general, there are all sorts of pros and cons and various uses for the cursed coins.
Additionally:
If you buy Neptune's Trident from Hendrick Vanderdecken for 1,000,000 gold pieces, you are forced to take a cursed coin too. This may seem like a nasty thing to do, but really it is not.
After all, if you're on Arcade Mode and get cursed because of this, you only have to go to the other side of the island, put the coin in the chest and the curse is lifted.
If you opened the chest first, didn't want to get cursed and this was forced onto you, Vanderdecken's coin allows you to lift it without leaving Isla de Muerta.
Much easier than waiting and hoping until you find a random one. And you get a useful Trident item to go with it that you can either use or sell for around 80% of its purchase price.

And on Realistic Game Mode, the curse isn't in effect anyway so you can sell the extra Cursed Coin for some extra free cash.

Additional point on the Jar of Leeches: While a bit of an odd item, it works as an inverted Mixture. It cures poison, but instead of also restoring health, it substracts some health.
You can sell the item for a certain amount of money. It isn't that much, but getting rid of a cursed Albatross and getting some money in return should count for something. ;)

OK, take a look at this. Add spoiler tags, preferably around each separate paragraph except the title ones.

Attachments

• coins.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 200
And on Realistic Game Mode, the curse isn't in effect anyway so you can sell the extra Cursed Coin for some extra free cash.
Seeing I always played on Realistic Game Mode, this is the kind of curse I could never test.:p

OK, take a look at this. Add spoiler tags, preferably around each separate paragraph except the title ones.
Code:
It does not have the effect of a smoke screen hiding you from the enemy!
That would actually not be a bad idea for an extra positive aspect! Should be easy enough, since the Black Pearl gets reduced visibility to enemies at night already due to her being black.

Couple of extra comments:
- Nicely done, mate! You reworded my stuff to be quite a bit shorter, but should still provide a lot of information to players with questions. :onya
- Correct spelling is "Isla de Muerta"
- Since recently, there are three beaches on the island: The third one contains Blackbeard from whom you can steal the Sword of Triton
- Perhaps the "How to get rid" section should go first? Since people will probably wonder about that one to start out with.
- I like your ending note to consider making use of the curse instead of just lifting it.

Actually, once you got the 882nd coin, you could make Isla de Muerta your base of operations and do what I figure the characters of the movie should have done!
This is to deliberately make use of the curse! Since you have all coins needed to lift it, you can do so at any time. Basically you can start/stop the curse whenever you feel like it.
Now that's not such a bad deal. :razz

Seeing I always played on Realistic Game Mode, this is the kind of curse I could never test.:p
Yes you can. You can still go to Isla de Muerta and plunder that chest. Nobody is stopping you from doing that and you'll get yourself cursed just as well. ;)

Corrections applied. :doff I haven't added the long term strategic solution, the player can figure that out for himself...

Attachments

• coins.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 194
Game testers
If we release new stuff or fix bugs we need people to test this and report new bugs or things we overlooked. All problems are welcome.

Book writers
We now have readable books ingame so if you want to write a book for the game go ahead. We can show you how to add these books to the game.

Screenshots
We can always use screenshots of ships and new features. If you wanna help by doing this ask what we need and we can say it.

I'm happy to provide my help for the above mentioned fields.

Back