• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Your Favorite European Country of the 1600s

What is your favorite European country of the 1600s?

• England

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • France

• Spain

• The Netherlands

• Denmark

• Portugal

• Sweden

• Other

• Italy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ITALY? :b:

Italy doesn't existed as a nation until the 1800s... and to be sincere most of it was in foreign hands for centuries.

Geez, this ruined the poll... :d:

Of course, once more I voted for Spain... and I have to note that Portugal was under Spanish rule since 1584 and, let me think, I believe that was until the 1650's...

I can understand that nobody has asked for the Holy Roman Empire and its tons of little nations, but of 8 choices we have one multiprpose alternative, an unexisting nation and another under foreign ruling. :d:

Swedden fits me, but Denmark should be part of the "Alternatives" (with my excuses to Danes)... Why don't add Poland or the Dukedom of Moscow? And what happened with Austria? Also, the Ottoman Empire was ruling a good piece of eastern Europe, so maybe we should count the Ottomans too...

AHH

good to see the true master of the sea winning :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :b:: :d:

Of course, once more I voted for Spain... and I have to note that Portugal was under Spanish rule since 1584 and, let me think, I believe that was until the 1650's...  

Swedden fits me, but Denmark should be part of the "Alternatives" (with my excuses to Danes)... Why don't add Poland or the Dukedom of Moscow? And what happened with Austria? Also, the Ottoman Empire was ruling a good piece of eastern Europe, so maybe we should count the Ottomans too...

I really should have put more details into this poll. I should of Added that all these countries are countries that had navies that effected control of the sea, and of the Caribbean. Denmark had part of the Virgin Islands during the second half of the 17th Century. I'm not actually sure about Poland, the Ottomans, Holland, or Austria had navies. Also, Portugal succeded from Spain, and was victorious during the 1640s.

:idea:

Why don't we try and list all the countries that had big parts in naval warfare, in Europe, during the 1600s. After we have compiled a complete list, we will close this one, make another pole, starting over again. The poll would run for 14 days. Here is what I think what we should have:

-England
-France
-Spain
-The Netherlands -Portugal
-Denmark

Here is basically questionable, and should be discussed more on what should be considered as eligable for this poll.

-Holland (I'm now pretty sure that Holland had a good navy during the 17th Century)
-Italy, or should we consider it the Holy Roman Empire?
-Sweden (I'm was pretty sure that Sweden had a good navy during the 17th Century)
-Poland
-Russia
-Austria
-The Ottoman Empire

Here are the rules to be eligable for the poll:

-Has to exist as a country during the 17th Century
-Has to have at least a small, noticable navy that fought in wars over Europe and colonies
-Has to be a European Country

P.S. Could one of the moderators please fix my signature please?!

depends on when, for italy, becouse italy changed hands often during the reign of the holy roman empire

I think that the Holy Roman Empire should be the representative for Italy in this poll. If you want to vote Italy, vote Holy Roman Empire.

Look the holy roman empire was just called "roman" because of it's church. It was Charlemegn who made it and he was French. Then the original "Barbossa" who was germanic restarted it. The point is although it was not a country ofiicialy, it had a navy. I use Italy genericly, it was the provinces in the country which were divided. They all had a navy and would produce many explorers without whom I many of us would not be in the america today. "Italy" would stand for those provinces. Also Bill Bones, yes at times it was in foriegn hands but it was still fighting against them. For that reason you cannot exclude just as you can't exclude france for being in Republican hands, France still fought and so did Italy. Only Italy eventually won. :b:

What about the other maybes? I think we should include Sweden and Holland. I dout Austria and the Ottoman Empire didn't have navies.

Look guys I said Italy because it is natural when you think of Europe, you think of England, France, Spain,Italy,Germany,Portugul. those are the most well known European countries,or at least in america. But Russia? I know that it is partialy in europe but that is belarus. So lets not add all these exotic ones. I don't want to be hipocriticle but come on.

Here is my final deal, we add the following:
-England
-France
-Spain
-The Netherlands
-Portugal
-The Provinces of Italy
-Holland
-Denmark
-Sweden

What do you think?

Why Sweden agin, matey, an' not Portugal? What colonies did Sweden be havin' in de New World? :b:

Provinces of Italy... :d:

Venice and its hinterland, Genoa and its hinterland, plus some duchats?

Venice was a naval power and Genoa was a competitor, but hanging the other provinces under Spanish, French and Pope rule to the name of "Italy" (Which was born in the 1800s) would be excessive. Also, note that Venice and Genoa only sailed the Mediterranean.

Anyway, I still can't get the point of asking for a favorite European country and then limit them to those who made something outside fo Europe.

What are you exactly asking, Python? :b:

Oh... the Holy Roman "Germanic" Empire was the remnant of the rule of Emperor Friedrich Barbarossa. It actually was a mess of different political organisations who only shared their germanic ethnia.

Diomed; ""It was Charlemegn who made it and he was French."
wrong, he was Frankish, and from an Germanic area not French. but he did have his capital in the area that is not France so i understand why u think he's french, but he's not. also Bill Bones, thank you for seeming to be the only other person that relizes that Italy was NOT a country and should NOT be on the pole. :b:

***Note if your are going to reply to me please read everything I say**

Ok look guys I have said my peice and have told enough reasons to put Italy on
the poll. The provinces of Italy did have a millitary and a navy, and they sailed in the mediteranian and they controlled the trade route into the east. Therefor that should be gorunds enough. I have said that but since you still protest, let me argue that they were not IN OTHER COUNTRIES KILLING INNOCENT NATIVES, AND STEALING LAND!! Does that make them less worthy? Granted Columbus did start the slave route in hispaniola but he was flying under a SPANISH FLAG! Or was it pourtugeese? In any case they were dealing mainly in Europe. NOW I think putting Italu on the poll is THE LEAST we can do for Italy after all was it not ITALY WHO COLONIZED THE WORLD ORIGINALY??Do you THINK the other european countries would be as "great" as they are today IF Italy had not colonized them???Would Spain or England be so high and mighty if the Romans let the Gauls go on praying to the wind and worshiping fire?? Come on we all have a little Italian in us no matter where in Europe you are from!(we get around) So come on I am not trying to speak offensivly but think about it!

Diomed ; forgive me if I am mistaken , but wasn't Italy the colonial power in Libya , Eritrea and Somali , did they cause a little problem amongst the Leauge of Nations by killing natives and stealing land in Abyssinia ? Then again this wasn't in the 1600s' so is irrelevant to this topic . :b:

The new version of this poll is up. I consider this one closed, due to lack of options on the poll, and proof that other countries should have been added.

<!--`QuoteBegin-Diomed`+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Diomed)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->***Note if your are going to reply to me please read everything I say**

.... ![/quote]

Hmmm. not a bad post.. Fred Bob'll give it 6 out o' 10, few points off fer rantin' but over all a good post. But in de final anaylysis, it be Cap'n Python's call whether o' not its fits wid de goals o' hid game! :b:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back