• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

B14 troubles

I have familiarity with some of the code because I have done tweaks to the code of the unmodded game and some of that is also applicable to the Build Mod.

For the falling masts code, it might be easier to just put return 0; just above int iDamageType = GetEventData();.

It doesn't matter if one's copy of the game is the US version or the UK version if the Build Mod is installed correctly as either version will then have the latest 2024 updates.

As for the topic name, I edited it and placed the thread in the right section since this thread is about the problems you're having with Build 14.

There might not be an easy way to download the information while keeping the formatting. You could try simply using your browser's print function to print out the pages you want but that would also print out other posts. Your browser's print function might also have a "Save to PDF" feature that you could use.

For Ultimate Boot CD you download ubcd539.iso listed by the "Mirror Sites" here: Ultimate Boot CD - Download the UBCD
Simply place the file on the Windows desktop or something. Checksums are listed on the page.
The ISO file is so large now that "CD" has become inaccurate and a DVD is required now. If your optical drive is a DVD-RW drive, insert a blank DVD-R disc into it, and if you are using Windows 10 then you can use the built-in "Burn disc image" feature by right-clicking on the ISO file. Here is a simple guide: How to Burn an ISO Image to Disc on Windows 10
You can also use that feature to verify the disc after burning.
This should result in a usable disc. If your BIOS is set to boot from your optical drive and if the disc is inserted, you will be presented with the UBCD menu when the computer is restarted.

I have familiarity with some of the code because I have done tweaks to the code of the unmodded game and some of that is also applicable to the Build Mod.

For the falling masts code, it might be easier to just put return 0; just above int iDamageType = GetEventData();.

It doesn't matter if one's copy of the game is the US version or the UK version if the Build Mod is installed correctly as either version will then have the latest 2024 updates.

As for the topic name, I edited it and placed the thread in the right section since this thread is about the problems you're having with Build 14.

There might not be an easy way to download the information while keeping the formatting. You could try simply using your browser's print function to print out the pages you want but that would also print out other posts. Your browser's print function might also have a "Save to PDF" feature that you could use.

For Ultimate Boot CD you download ubcd539.iso listed by the "Mirror Sites" here: Ultimate Boot CD - Download the UBCD
Simply place the file on the Windows desktop or something. Checksums are listed on the page.
The ISO file is so large now that "CD" has become inaccurate and a DVD is required now. If your optical drive is a DVD-RW drive, insert a blank DVD-R disc into it, and if you are using Windows 10 then you can use the built-in "Burn disc image" feature by right-clicking on the ISO file. Here is a simple guide: How to Burn an ISO Image to Disc on Windows 10
You can also use that feature to verify the disc after burning.
This should result in a usable disc. If your BIOS is set to boot from your optical drive and if the disc is inserted, you will be presented with the UBCD menu when the computer is restarted.
Beta test complete, unfortunately AISea.c has failed.... replacement with another file from working game restored function...could be my placement of code or spacing since I'm not familiar with how critical that is...used PDF995 app that prints the text in PDF formatting into a doc that I opened for the attempt. Left margin location was difficult to determine and I may have indented once from left margin, if that matters
Tried best from example given. Game failed to boot so I was not able to test storm mod.... let me know when you have a chance to test AISea. I'll try your simplified storm mod instead next... simple is always best! :)

Re: UBC how big a DVD+R is needed, got some 4.7GB

Last edited:
AISea.c should not be changed. Here is a ZIP file with worldmap_encgen.c and AIShip.c where storms and falling masts are disabled, and also a clean AISea.c. I did a quick test and it seems to work.

DVD-R should be used, not DVD+R, but you can test with one of those if you want. An ordinary 4.7 GB DVD-R disc should be sufficient.

Attachments

• CG71stormsmasts.zip
    62.4 KB · Views: 5
Excellent! I appreciate your taking the time to make the drop-in code, makes the mode a lot easier. Please clarify for me the instruction "AISea.c should not be changed." my take is to leave it as it... embed only worldmap_encgen.c and AIShip.c... right? What I do is to name-change by adding ] or [ thus negating execution recognition, with these two mods active... right? I'll be doing the Beta today expecting the best. I'll let you know later today.

BTW... these mods you are so graciously creating should be shared with those in the community that have similar complaints and, like me, lack the skill to make this change. Pieter recognize the truth of this and created a forum topic for mods shared. Your posts should also be available on that topic!

Well, appreciate your sympathy, but my complaints are not so much problems with the game as with the events I consider to be an irritation that impedes the fun of play. Storms are distractions and the overdone lightning strikes are as irritating as the demasting by 4# shot. These are personal quirks which others may not be bothered by. So, not really problems with the game as envisioned by the coder, more personal likes and dislikes... making these requested code mods more of a game "personalization". Hence my suggestion these changes be posted in the Pieter's forum for code mods to personalize the user's game.

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
From your previous post I got the impression that something wasn't working with AISea.c and I thus included a clean version of that file so that you can use that if needed. Simply take the worldmap_encgen.c and AIShip.c files and put them in the corresponding directories, replacing the version of those files already there. If needed, do the same with AISea.c. If the one you already have is in fact identical and hasn't been changed, then disregard the one I included.

As far as I know no one else seems to have similar complaints. There thus wouldn't be much point in more widely sharing these small edits. From what I hear people are generally satisfied with the Build Mod.

Also, if you are going to add more in a short time frame after creating a post, please edit that post instead of making another.

Sorry to be a pest but a recurring gimmick in play has irritated me since v16 and nobody has replied to my frequent complaints. Recruiting in the tavern is plagued by interviews when the candidate suddenly walks away and zigzags about the room very fast and changes direction as soon as I align to get the face icon. Interviews are not like this and this is an intentional, unnecessary, and unrealistic corruption serving no purpose than to interfere with play. I complained about it many times, being ignored. Why others have not complained puzzles me, as I'm sure this is code and not an aberration on my various computers and OS. This is a subprogram since it happens about 80% and not all the time so there must be a logic switch to activate it. Direct me to this call so I can negate it to make the stupidity stop... or do players actually enjoy these ridiculous stunts?

Last edited:
? What is going on... started play had this happen... any idea why
This is on the T510 W10 NVIDIA checked all the .dll files are listed, none have been removed. Which one is corrupted to produce this effect?

Attachments

• B14v24 Brit W10 Nvidia.jpg
    B14v24 Brit W10 Nvidia.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 8
Yep sea.dll was corrupted on the Lexar 3.0 USB as well as my T510 when I copied that file from a working game and dropped it in the sea color and texture returned. ? what in the world is going on? Is that file that easily corrupted both on W10 C drive and a USB 3.0? Maybe somebody needs to look into it and fix whatever loose code is causing the drop-out... had this happen before is why I suspected this action. I might want to try that older mod... thanks for the lead.

Now I'm getting frequent BAD SAVES which is a problem in every version played. Has anyone looked into this? Once is too often for any code action... means a defect is encoded that is intermittent and due to some fault that is not properly coded. Anyone familiar enough with the save subprogram to suggest a cause and fix? Shame to spend time accomplishing an action only to have it wiped by bad coding.

As I said someone else would have to reply about the officers since I don't know anything about that.

Strange about the sea.dll file. I did not change any DLL files in the prepackaged ZIP files that I uploaded. I just used the installer, the contents archive, and the update ZIP file.

I think some mitigations are in place in the Build Mod to help prevent bad saves, but they are supposedly caused by various problems including in the engine, and it doesn't seem to be possible to prevent them completely. A workaround is to delete save files, don't overwrite existing ones, and make a new one. That seems to help.

And again, please edit your post instead of making two just minutes apart.

Ok... you've been such a help I had to ask... unfortunately I've been asking this question for years with no one stepping up to help. Any idea which module I might look into? I might be able to figure out from the logic and the plain language words used. Obviously desperate to stop this time waster... also get 20:1 bad rep types before finally getting a good one. Trying to find the attributes tables to change bad to good in spite of title... any ideas ?)

About sea.dll... working fine until W10 offered "compatibility mode" then the sky turned black and the sea vanished... ships flying through the air! Might have been the cause subbing file from working game made no change... finally just copied the whole module and restored the visuals. Another reason to stay away from W10?

Okay, I recently started going into save folder and deleting en mass up to the recent files. I'll see if this solves that irritation. The incidence is not as frequent so some of causes may have been solved. Just irritating to do a save and have to redo the event... sometimes do a double save to make sure.

:) sorry about that... just that sometimes I get cogent "after-thoughts" and feel the context is need to make sense... I'll work on it to keep from bothering you... :)

Ok... you've been such a help I had to ask... unfortunately I've been asking this question for years with no one stepping up to help. Any idea which module I might look into? I might be able to figure out from the logic and the plain language words used. Obviously desperate to stop this time waster... also get 20:1 bad rep types before finally getting a good one. Trying to find the attributes tables to change bad to good in spite of title... any ideas ?)
Unfortunately not. A lot of things have been changed around in the Build Mod and I don't know where that officer code has been placed. :shrug

Back