• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Position error in Realistic Game

Antigua Coordinates problem.jpg
Antigua port start.jpg
Sailing position in Muscatto cove error.jpg

An error of coordinate positioning creates an issue making the game unplayable due to a ship at St. John's leaving using direct sail mode appears inside the ring at the NW corner but on the sailing map id outside at Muscatto Cove as chosen by direct sail. The coordinate system underlay is skewed so that errors like this are critical. This must be corrected for this game to be playable in the Realistic mode.

Same positional errors in Arcade game
Map shows ship In Matinique Straits...position error.jpg
Position error Arcade mode open sea.png

Position discrepancies make game unplayable... correction of coordinate overlay link must be done to resolve this fatal error.

Game is unstable during play... just blanked out while in tavern in Philipsburg. Common error? Anyone else see this instability?

Another example of positional defect in Arcade/ Realistic game modes... Unplayable no work-around possible; embedded program error.
St. john's Antigua setsail to Muscetto Cove.jpg
Ships' Position Muscetto Cove.jpg
Fatal Error Ship inside caldera ring not outside.jpg

The first question is whether the fact that you have a fleet of 6 ships, when the normal maximum is 4, could be the reason for any of your problems. I'd certainly not be surprised if it's responsible for the game crashing when a companion ship is sunk.

The second question is, if you've changed the game to allow a fleet of 6, have you made any other changes?

Antigua is certainly playable, otherwise anyone playing the "Hornblower" storyline, the "Ardent" storyline, the "Hoist the Colours" storyline or the "Angelique Moulin's Father" sidequest would have noticed problems. Especially the last two since both "Hoist the Colours" and "Angelique Moulin's Father" want you to land at Muscetto Cove.

I have at most 4 ships in play... 2 USUALLY NOT 6... the other ships are game generated and not under my control. Any player can only generate 4 ships... that is the limit in creating objects.

Antigua in v22 is not the issue... as stated when my ship attempts to direct sale to Muscetto Cove, which is the one and only available destination available while the Sailing Chart shows the ship OUTSIDE THE ANTIGUA RING AT THE COVE... SEE IMAGE... the God's view chart shows the ship in the NW inside corner of the Antigua ring... this is a serious positional error since the two representations do not have the same coordinates. the error in the coordinate system used for positioning is the cause. ALL PRIOR VERSIONS DID NOT SHOW THIS... EVEN WHEN SAILING TO SAINT MARTIN THE GOD'S EYE VIEW CHART SHOWS THE SHIP INSIDE THE COVE OF THE HARBOR WHILE THE SAILING CHART VIEW SHOWS NO LAND IN SIGHT... EXPLAIN THAT? TO MOVE OBJECTS ABOUT THE UPPER VISUAL MUST HAVE A COORDINATE GRID BENEATH THE UPPER OVERLAY. WHEN THE TWO ARE NOT PRECISELY MATCHED A SKEW IN POSITIONS RESULTS SUCH AS WHAT WE SEE IN THIS SITUATION. HAS NOT BEEN THIS OBVIOUS OR "OFFSET" IN FORMER VERSIONS... EXPLAIN WHY NOW?)

I'm now playing the Dec 2019 version and entering and leaving Antigua with no problems... however, sinking a ship freezes the game...probably a "Do-Loop" caused by coding error leaving out a call from an "If-Then" code not finding the "Then" \. The System listing shows the program was trying to load Knipples!? What? This coding error is causing the game to freeze Sinking a ship does not involve a command to load Knipples! Somebody needs to go into the code and correct this error that the last amateur coder did not understand to remove as no longer functional as far as I know Knipples are not available shot in this version. Somebody removed the call that follows a ship sinking... whatever that was... and did not know they had done so... reversions to loading knipples was the left-over from a much earlier coding that was not removed when it was obsoleted from the game. Please ask a competent coder to use this system error info to locate the code module/Line number and FIXIT! otherwise this game is more stable than most and a lot easier to play.

I would also ask them to remove the cannot save while boarding or sailing block as it is no longer relevant and only frustrates the player when game crashes in scene changes.

If no one wants to do it... at least give me the module/line number and I'll do it to salvage an otherwise fun game. The "while sailing" lock out is when disengaging until the "all-clear" theme music plays... after which save is available.

Otherwise the only work-around is to not sink ships in an engagement which means you cannot fire back, or allow your companion ship to sink it by removing all their ammo before the engagement as well as put them "on station" elsewhere while you engage and capture the target. This is a lot of trouble when you often just want to sink a nuisance sloop!

Thanks for the help in getting this resolved so everyone can enjoy.

Back