• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Seasickness

The Nameless Pirate

Just a pirate
Staff member
Administrator
Storm Modder
Public Relations
So, I thought of a sailing related topic, seasickness.

Last year, when I went to Crete with ship, especially on the way back my cabinmates and not just them, were complaining of nausea and not sleeping well.
While I didn't have this problem, at all.

Usually I get used to the ship's rocking fast, so I don't lose my balance.

That time was my first time on a "big" voyage, with classmates.
So I was quite baffled when they needed travel gums and such, while for me it was smooth sailing. (Pun xD)

I guess, the pirate's life choose me.

What is your experience on the matter?

Some are naturally more resistant to it than others. But everyone can 'build immunity' to it to a certain extent.

I found that it depends on how well hydrated my body is before/during sailing -- and by that I mean hydrated in sips over time as opposed to all at once, which is drinking a lot but not adequate hydration -- and on what I eat just before and during the sailing. I find that crackers, nuts, and easy to digest things allow for better motion-sickness tolerance than complete meals. So what I do is eat the days before the voyage a lot, so I'll have energy, and on the voyage I eat only light, just enough to not have any stomach pains. A day or two after the voyage, after my stomach settles, once again I fill my belly with wholesome and healthy food.

You can go healthily up to two weeks on such a diet.

So I guess fasting is something I recommend for better tolerance against seasickness, as well as keeping your body well hydrated, which helps fight the nausea.

Another thing that I do is to pay attention to any light signs my body is giving me during the trip. The moment I start receiving signs that the motion is starting to affect me, I move to the mid-section of the ship where the swaying is smoothest, lie down and completely relax (my tummy and breathing), giving into the waves peacefully and telling my brain and body (myself) to enjoy them (spiritually/psychologically inducing dopamine production). If you catch the seasickness before it begins, and take preventive measures, you have a chance at actually making it go away. (If you're autistic, peaceful special interest and joy stimming helps.)

These practical tricks have allowed me to avoid seasickness on all trips except ones with big waves in a storm, and have helped reduce my seasickness throughout.

Last edited:
Thanks @Cerez for sharing your knowledge and experience. :cheers

It helps me better understand the situation and what contributes to resistance.

Back