• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Studio Ghibli Museum Overseas Donations

For those in countries that can't open the application page:
So time for a follow up I think.
I was actually able to donate. I waited for a while to make sure it went well, and it did. They have indeed accepted the donation.
How I did it? I used a VPN set to America. Once that was done everything went smoothly. So if you wanted to donate but you weren't let view the application form, this is your chance. The donation will go on for another 26 days at the time of writing this. (6/1/2022)

Ahoy there mateys! :ahoy

Hope you are all doing well. This one is a bit different than usual, yet I think it should be addressed.

Studio Ghibli’s museum has been hit hard lately. The pandemic has lead to a lack of visitors. Yet costs don’t stop. Just like a ship, even if not used repairs will still be needed. Money is needed to keep things afloat. Likewise the Ghibli museum (Built 20 years ago) still needs money to operate, or to even just stay in good shape. So they have started accepting donations outside of Japan. More of that in a bit.

‘But who are Studio Ghibli and their museum?’ I hear some of you ask. Studio Ghibli is an animation studio based in Japan. They make movies enjoyed by children and adults. Ranging from fun adventures, to deep thinking ones on human nature, environmentalism, war, and simple life in general. And yes, there are the some pirates in there. Air pirates like Dola's Gang (Laputa: Castle in the Sky), and the Federation of Air Pirates (Porco Rosso). The latter of which also mix in with the sea due to using seaplanes. Hayao Miyazaki (one of their main directors) loves planes. A passion that us maritime enthusiasts should understand.

To quote one of his movies “The Wind Rises”.

"Airplanes are not tools for war.

They are not for making money.

Airplanes are beautiful dreams."

Ships for me are also exactly like this. Where some may see a vehicle, a tool, or a weapon. We see a beautiful dream, with a soul of its own. It’s creators putting a part of themselves in it, it’s art.
The Ghibli Museum in Mitaka showcases the works of the studio and its staff. The whole building looks as if from a movie. Featuring characters, artworks and items from their movies. Some recreations of locations too. There is also a reading room named “TRI HAWKS” pun on the name of the city of Mitaka (Three Hawks), and their shop is named “MAMMA AIUTO!” after the pirate gang in Porco Rosso. (As a pirate I approve. :aar) Among other interesting things that can be found there.
What I also approve is the museum’s connection to the park. They make sure to take care of it, and to see it improve in the long run. For the museum and the nature of the park help each other. When one improves the other does too.

So now that you know a bit about them back to the matter at hand. Donations for the museum are open to people out side of Japan. However living Europe means I am not able to donate due to legal complications (GDPR). More precisely you cannot donate if you live in any of the following countries.
[China, UK, Switzerland, Norway, Monaco, Liechtenstein, Andorra, San Marino, Vatican, Iceland, EU member states(Ireland, Italy, Estonia, Austria, Netherlands, Cyprus, Greece, Croatia, Sweden, Spain, Slovakia, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Finland, France, Bulgaria, Belgium, Poland, Portugal, Malta, Latvia, Lithuania, Romania, Luxembourg] List taken from the fundraiser’s page. https://www.furusato-tax.jp/gcf/1287

If you are not from any of those countries then you can donate should you wish too and have a bit of gold left in your holds. The donations will be used to cover the costs of running the museum (repairs etc.), and if you need an extra incentive you will receive a thank-you card by Ghibli. The minimum donation is 5000 Yen, 44$ US.
You can donate and find more details here: (Scroll down for English.)

I would like to thank @Cerez for introducing me to this wonderful Studio, Captain @Pieter Boelen for letting me post this article, and Studio Ghibli. In a way they kicked me back into writing. I may not be able to help in another way, but I hope this will contribute to keep the museum operating for many years to come.

Official Twitter post from Studio Ghibli:
I would also like to leave you with this, a few words from Mr. Miyazaki on the museum.

Last edited:
So time for a follow up I think.
I was actually able to donate. I waited for a while to make sure it went well, and it did. They have indeed accepted the donation.
How I did it? I used a VPN set to America. Once that was done everything went smoothly. So if you wanted to donate but you weren't let view the application form, this is your chance. The donation will go on for another 26 days at the time of writing this. (6/1/2022)

There are now less than 10 days left to donate. So if you want to donate but haven't yet done so, now it's the time to consider it. For English scroll down.

Back