• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Devlin Opera for the 65742th time

Welcome back, @BathtubPirate! :cheers

That's taking support for the game to a whole new level. Did you know there are also tattoos in the game? Go to the opium den in Port Royale, they don't just sell drugs...

If you have anything new for "Devlin Opera", now would be a good time to upload it as I want to release an update soon. Otherwise, no hurry, there's always the next next update!

Could anyone tell me the status of this storyline?
To what etent is it now "finished"?
There should be 5 "chapters" (with the possibility for bonus quests) and progress is in the early stages of the fifth one, which is also by far the most complicated and ambitious regarding new locations etc.

That's taking support for the game to a whole new level. Did you know there are also tattoos in the game? Go to the opium den in Port Royale, they don't just sell drugs...
It had to be done after all those years and allt hose hours, from ten year old me struggling to sail away from Oxbay because I didn't know WASD controls to 29 year old me not believing what I have achieved so far in the mod and getting this massive kick to get back every summer. Every tattoo I have is some nerd stuff which I have invested lots of time, passion and interest in.

And I may not be done and am thinking about getting the numbers 1576 and 1630 when I am "in need" for a small one...

If you have anything new for "Devlin Opera", now would be a good time to upload it as I want to release an update soon. Otherwise, no hurry, there's always the next next update!
How much is in the update anyway? Has anybody ever played the tavern puzzle and the french pirate storyline?

Damned, it's amazing dude !!!
Thanks, certainly the most niche thing my artist ever did... It's also healed by now and not that dark anymore. May need some little touches after summer.

How much is in the update anyway? Has anybody ever played the tavern puzzle and the french pirate storyline?
I certainly played them to completion before adding them into the update. In fact, I believe "Hermit and the Frogs" was in the January 2024 update.

I certainly played them to completion before adding them into the update. In fact, I believe "Hermit and the Frogs" was in the January 2024 update.
Ah, nice!

So far I'm mostly playing to slowsly get back in to things. Surprisingly, my game folder (first time playing on this relatively new computer) has all the locator files I changed or created for Devlin Opera in the wrong folder or not at all. Does anybody have a locator file named mh2_l_BTP for MediumHouse2?

Are you sure you ever made a file named "mh2_l_BTP"? The only relatively recent locator file I have for "mediumhouse2" - which is also in the zip file I downloaded from you on 4th July 2023 - is "mh02_l.gm", dated 17th August 2022. That's included in the update.

Are you sure you ever made a file named "mh2_l_BTP"? The only relatively recent locator file I have for "mediumhouse2" - which is also in the zip file I downloaded from you on 4th July 2023 - is "mh02_l.gm", dated 17th August 2022. That's included in the update.
I'm sure. The only default sit locator, sit1, makes Mr. O'Klee sit sideways on the bed, sunken into the mattress. I know I made a sit locator at the table.

I'm also missing my locator file for the pirate fort, which is PiF_l_BTP. Have you got that one?

When I last worked on the game, I was staying with my parents for a few weeks because my neighbour burned down his flat. Next time I visit I can look into their computer, but if you got the PiF locator file I'd gladly take it so I can replay Hermit and the Frogs over the weekend. ;)

Okay, I downloaded the update. Now I need to pay attention what might be missing from it that's already in my game folder from last year.

First, I noticed that the characters on Las Tortugas are still named O'Byrne. I had changed that to O'Klee based on your suggestion.

Second, we were both right: There is no locator file named mh2_l_BTP, I just created a second sit locator in the existing file and the correct one is in the update.

There should be 5 "chapters" (with the possibility for bonus quests) and progress is in the early stages of the fifth one, which is also by far the most complicated and ambitious regarding new locations etc.
Nearing the end then...? :cheers

Oh boy, I have (had?) my usual pause, you know the drill...

Anyway, here's a sign of life, and a reminder that I still love this game and will always come back. Had it made a few weeks ago.
Wow, that's AMAZING!
I'm not much one for tattoos.
But that is next level!

I installed GM viewer (for Locations) and animation viewer (for Characters) on my new computer. But for some reason, the Desktop (where I usually have my game folder) is nowhere to be found in the directory of those two programs. "Documents" is in the directory, but the game folder doesn't show up in neither program if I put it there. The only option is to put the game folder into "Downloads", which I find a bit inconvenient. Does anybody know this problem and/or a solution.

First, I noticed that the characters on Las Tortugas are still named O'Byrne. I had changed that to O'Klee based on your suggestion.

Second, we were both right: There is no locator file named mh2_l_BTP, I just created a second sit locator in the existing file and the correct one is in the update.
That tallies with what I have. The second "sit" locator is present and Killian sits on it, by the table, facing me as I enter the house. As far as I remember, you never uploaded any new files with the characters renamed to O'Klee, so they're still O'Byrne in my files.

The main snag there is that you'll need to do something with the other three cave entrances. Of course, if you have four mini-quests on Aruba, you could have one in each cave.

Meanwhile, I've been making progress with the Arawak Burial Ground. In particular, I've been having fun with LocLighter. All sources of lighting apart from torches are disabled - sun, sky, and in particular ambient. The torches are brighter and have longer range than normal. The effect is that most of the cave is lit to some extent though there are still patches of total darkness. And I added a "candle" locator near the entrance, which is a long tunnel that goes round a corner, though you'll never get to that corner because the exit reload is before it. So the "candle" locator is out of sight and it's been set a lot brighter, whiter and longer range than any normal candle, the effect being a source of light near the exit so you have a visible clue to find your way out.

This opens up a possibility for your story, should you wish it. It would now be easy to make a new locator file with all the torches removed, making the cave completely dark apart from the exit light. The player would need to complete one of your other quests, then an Arawak could tell the player that a shaman has been to the cave and lit the torches. For amusement, if the player goes into the dark cave before then, you could have an on-screen message "It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue." And then see if anyone gets the reference. ;)
Could you point me in the direction of how to switch between light on and light off in the location? This is in the location file, but I don't see exactly how to use it:

Code:
    Locations[n].models.always.l1 = "CavernMedium2";
    Locations[n].models.always.l2 = "cavernMedium2_lamps";

Back