• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help 10 Hours into Ardent still no fast travel

Densefire

Landlubber
Hi guys, I've been playing as Ardent and its been such a blast, you guys have done great work with this modpack! but for some reason this character has never been able to fast travel on land (about 10 hours in this char). No opium in inventory and I have cleared my active quests twice now but to no avail. Is there something I missed early on? Is there any way to manually enable or force fast travel?

Current stage in Ardent story: Abduction

Also may be related there are two items in my inventory that appear to be placeholders for items (nothing is there but you can scroll to it and toss it). Im actually hesitant to toss these invisible items
invisible item1.jpg

Can you upload a saved game? Then I can take a look and try to figure out why fast travel is disabled. The storyline itself sometimes disables fast travel to prevent you from leaving an area when something important is about to happen, but restores fast travel again shortly after the important thing has finished happening. (This happens a couple of times during "Abduction".)

There's something very odd about your game. For one thing, where did you get Build 14? Your is apparently version 14.944, a number I don't recognise - the current version with the 21st July update is 14.943.

According to your questbook for "Kidnap", you left Lucia in San Juan. There's an active quest trigger for when you go to that part of San Juan where the church and town hall are located, which is when someone tells you that she's been kidnapped again. So why is she still following you around?
why_lucia.jpg

There is also an active trigger for making a certain monkey leave you. That should only be set when the monkey starts following you around. You shouldn't be able to get rid of it except by triggering this release. So where is the monkey?

Starting from your save, I went to San Juan, where the witness duly told me that she'd been kidnapped. That part of the story code is supposed to block fast travel so you don't teleport before the witness can talk to you, then it re-enables fast travel when he's finished. Yet even after he'd said his piece and walked off, I still couldn't fast travel. So whatever is blocking fast travel isn't related to the story.

(You have completed the "Rescue Peter Blood's Crew" sidequest. That also disables fast travel a couple of times and then re-enables it later, so that fast travel should be back to normal by the end of the quest.)

There's something very odd about your game. For one thing, where did you get Build 14? Your is apparently version 14.944, a number I don't recognise - the current version with the 21st July update is 14.943.
Uh oh xD I actually got it from this thread: Mod Release - Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 21st July 2022]

I installed the April 27th update and then the extra pirate flags found on page 2. I haven't updated to July 21st because I have a glorious will turner save with toooo many hours to give up atm (that save works wonderfully oddly enough)

According to your questbook for "Kidnap", you left Lucia in San Juan. There's an active quest trigger for when you go to that part of San Juan where the church and town hall are located, which is when someone tells you that she's been kidnapped again. So why is she still following you around?
OMG I forgot to mention Lucia's ghost following me around. Its so creepy. She's not dead though just kidnapped (but Ardent doesn't know that *yet*):cheeky

There is also an active trigger for making a certain monkey leave you. That should only be set when the monkey starts following you around. You shouldn't be able to get rid of it except by triggering this release. So where is the monkey?
Yeah I remember that annoying little bugger. He stopped showing up right around Lucia's Ghost appeared...

Seeing as I have a weird build number I'm going to guess I screwed something up and reluctantly fresh install 14.943:(. Thanks for the help Grey, It is greatly appreciated. If you're more curious about my installation I don't mind poking a prodding for more information just let me know.

Uh oh xD I actually got it from this thread: Mod Release - Build 14 Gamma Version [Last update: 21st July 2022]

I installed the April 27th update and then the extra pirate flags found on page 2. I haven't updated to July 21st because I have a glorious will turner save with toooo many hours to give up atm (that save works wonderfully oddly enough)
Ah, yes - I'd forgotten about the thread about new pirate flags. That one did indeed change the version number because the new flags broke any existing save.

You could probably add in the 21st July update, then add the extra pirate flags again. That should put it back to 14.944 and your save should still work.

OMG I forgot to mention Lucia's ghost following me around. Its so creepy. She's not dead though just kidnapped (but Ardent doesn't know that *yet*):cheeky

Yeah I remember that annoying little bugger. He stopped showing up right around Lucia's Ghost appeared...
Perhaps a badly timed fast travel around the time Lucia was supposed to wander off in San Juan is responsible for all the trouble. You're stuck with her following you around while she's supposed to be in Downing's dungeon, at least until it's time for you to "find" her there. That scene is probably going to look weird if she's still following you and therefore not locked in the cell, but hopefully she'll behave properly after that...

Ah, yes - I'd forgotten about the thread about new pirate flags. That one did indeed change the version number because the new flags broke any existing save.

You could probably add in the 21st July update, then add the extra pirate flags again. That should put it back to 14.944 and your save should still work.
I'll give that a shot when I get home, thanks!

Perhaps a badly timed fast travel around the time Lucia was supposed to wander off in San Juan is responsible for all the trouble. You're stuck with her following you around while she's supposed to be in Downing's dungeon, at least until it's time for you to "find" her there. That scene is probably going to look weird if she's still following you and therefore not locked in the cell, but hopefully she'll behave properly after that...
I cant remember using fast travel at all on this character but I will progress the quest and report what happens

You must have been using fast travel with this character as that is the whole point of this thread!

Besides, I normally play exactly the same path, except that I avoid the monkey. Take Lucia to San Juan, leave her there, go off and do other things, return to find that she's gone missing, then go looking for her. I've never had a problem with her continuing to follow me around.

But I did collect the monkey at least once in order to test that it works. It's supposed to follow you around until you take it home, which you can't do until you also take the "Strange Things Going On in the Caribbean" sidequest because the monkey's home is also the Satanists' home island. Which, incidentally, means that a scene which is supposed to happen there won't work properly because the monkey won't be present. But the sidequest itself shouldn't be affected. It just means that a little Easter egg which should show up after the monkey's final scene won't show up.

You must have been using fast travel with this character as that is the whole point of this thread!
Sorry for the miscommunication. I meant in the original post that I have never had the option to fast travel since character creation.
Hi guys, I've been playing as Ardent and its been such a blast, you guys have done great work with this modpack! but for some reason this character has never been able to fast travel on land (about 10 hours in this char). No opium in inventory and I have cleared my active quests twice now but to no avail. Is there something I missed early on? Is there any way to manually enable or force fast travel?
nofasttravel.jpg

Last edited:
I was honestly hoping I could just run a cammand to enable fast travel or edit a settings file as there seems to be something wrong considering I have cleared active quests multiple times.

Back