• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP 1st Rate HMS Prince modeled by James Rosenkranz

Dang! Looks like Iron Roger Flint is a no show on this one.

Anyone else interested in tackling the prince when the Trinity, Centurion, Rosya and other major ship projects are done?

I'm going to keep out of it for the time being... not about to give myself more work just yet. :walkplank

I forgot about this thread. I'm glad it popped back up because I was about to post another $1000 award to anyone that would build her. I'm still going to want a version for my Dev game but will wait a year or two.

So I will offer a $400 award to anyone that will finish this one (HMS Prince) and get her game ready.

I will post a seperate $1000 award for a different Restoration Man of War. I'm thinking about the Royal James, the Catherine or the Lennox now. The Lennox is similar to Mordaunt, but it is a little bigger. The decoration is more ornate as well. The reason the Lennox is a good candidate is that there is a great exhaustively researched book about her (that I own) with a full set of great plans. I will have to think about this a little more now.

MK

Indeed let's get all the current big ship projects wrapped up, just remember not to forget this one.:yes

If I'm not posting, doesn't mean I'm not checking PA! regularly. I'm currently very time limited and can't spend much time on this.

As far as HMS Prince goes, I had to remodel the lower hull part, since the model had many sharp edges around the area of bow and just looked weird. I've also started adding interiors although I could not find many sources of it. So the project is making progress albeit slowly.

Good to hear you're still working on her, mate! :doff

Would you be able to post at least an occasional update? I know you're steadily working in the background, but projects that stay silent for long periods can be mistaken as abandoned, and we don't want that to happen here. ;)

kepsnys = Iron Roger Flint?:unsure

If it is, glad your still working on her.
Well just as Armada said, the occasional progress report goes a long way in preventing projects from being mistaken as abandoned, not to mention keep things exiting.

I for one like to keep tabs on ship WiPs of interest.

I checked in on the Trinity project weekly as it was in the works.

Currently I'm tracking the Centurion, Rossya, Arcadia Xebec, Zeven Provincien, as well as this, The Prince.

I never got the oppertunity to sail a Prince 1st Rate when I played Pirates of the Burning Sea due to dev/player shenanigans over there so I'm hoping to finally sail one on PotC.

So don't be a stranger there mate.:doff

kepsnys = Iron Roger Flint?:unsure
Quite a few people's names were mixed up when the forum was upgraded. Previously we had separate Login names to Display names, but now we only have one to fill both purposes.
The problem is that the Login names were carried forward, not the Display names. :rolleyes:

It can be fixed very easily by one of us moderators. :doff

I couldn't do much since I had two business trips in last 10 days. Currently fixing some errors. I looked up some reference photos of a wood model being built and have to say this ship is definitely NOT HMS PRINCE (1670) :confused:, but based on it. Let's call it 'a close relative' or 'a sistership'. There are quite a few differences between this and the real one. I guess this is the closest the original author could get to, because it's really difficult to find decent plans of the real one.

An update (I don't know how many people will make upset, and how many people will get happy):

This ship turned out to be more trouble than I asked for. I don't know why, but the model I got is asimetrical, meaning I have to spend twice as much time by manually placing all details on both sides. Also someone thought it would be brilliant to add an extra gun per side and have no bowchasers at all. This resulted in a completely messed up rigging placement. Fixing this would require me to remodel a significant portion of the ship, however due to asimetrical sides this would be more painful than it's worth. Ports for guns are also way larger than they need to be. It's as if this ship could mount giant fortguns.

Due to all of these problems I decided I won't continue to work on this, but rather start a proper HMS PRINCE project from scratch. I hope this announcement doesn't upset too many people. I might still do something about this one later on.

Another update without a single image :p

Currently working on acquiring better plans (mostly hull lines) than I currently have. Also working on the 'clutter' - boats, cannons, some elements of rigging and etc. I'm about to lay down the keel for a new model, so... if someone has any GOOD reference material, please DO share NOW. Otherwise I won't give a damn about fixing any errors when the model is completed.

If you aren't sure about any of the deck fittings/lashings/rigging, you should ask first. I should be able to help with all of that.

Ahoy! Iron Roger Flint,

I should have my documentation posted tomorrow. I will post a link to the Flickr set in this thread. I have found so many sources and photos that these may even out shine my Dutch sets. The Prince is not separated from the others, but you will be able to tell which ones are her and there are others that will help with perspective.

In addition I will be posting a separate set of just the HMS Lennox from the same era. They may be useful to you as well.

MK

OK Mates, As promised here is the new Flickr set for Restoration Era through King William III English 1st thru 3rd rate warships. There are over 140 photos in here, so its bigger than most of my Dutch sets.

I hope this will help you with the HMS Prince there Iron Roger Flint as there are more images of her in there than any other ship. My offer of compensation stands if you wish to give me rights to your ship when finished and obviously of the quality of KrisWood, SeaNorris, Pgargon, etc...

I also hope other modelers will want to take on a Restoration Era project. These ships I think are some of the most beautiful and graceful ever made.

MK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/sets/72157632088161854/show/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/sets/72157632088161854/

I updated this set. There are now almost 50 additional images. Among them I actually managed to find a Van de Velde drawing of the HMS Prince! The years have not been kind to the drawing so it is not a good image, but I cleaned it up as well as I could.

There is a copy of Deane's side plan for Prince in there also - very exciting find. http://www.flickr.com/photos/49225014@N05/sets/72157632088161854/

I hope you're making good progress. MK

Back