• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved A Few Annoyances in GoF

SnakeTheFox

Landlubber
Hello, I've recently installed the latest version of Gentlemen of Fortune, and while I've not yet run into any bugs per se, there's a few things that are bothering me that I'm hoping I could get some help with.

1) Is there a way to get mod options to stay after closing the game? Having to go through and change my mod setting every launch is a little annoying.

2) Does GoF change the games dialogue? I noticed watching a Let's Play of vanilla CoAS that dialogue in his version was different, for example at the beginning of the Peter Blood opening quest a character says that "dragoons of the Tangier regiment" are approaching, while in GoF it's overly simplified to some banal "the king's men" statement.

3) This is the biggest annoyance to me and the one I'm most serious about solving: is there a way to remove the Master and Commander sound effects without uninstalling GoF? I'm sick and tired of hearing Russel Crowe shout "starboard battery" every 5-15 seconds during a naval engagement, and the fact is I'm not even playing as an English ship: I'm a Frenchie. So hearing some kid shout "beat to quarters" before a battle, or hearing Russel Crowe shouting assorted commands, accomplishes the exact opposite of what it intends, and significantly takes away from immersion. I even went so far as to mute dialogue, but that doesn't even do it.

If you must, ignore everything but the final question. That's the biggest issue confronting my enjoyment of this mod right now, as everything else (the additional ships, the bug fixes, etc) are phenomenal. Thanks in advance.

1) I think the changes will stay if you modify a file in the game directory. Someone who can elaborate on that will come along sooner or later.

2) Idunno.

3) Solution 1:

Open your age of pirates two directory, then open the resource folder. There should be a sounds folder in there.
(On my computer: C:\Program Files\Playlogic\Age of Pirates 2\RESOURCE\Sounds )
There should be a few more folders in the sounds folder. You'll have to find the sounds you don't like yourself, but they are in .WAV format, so they should play on your computer. Once you find the sounds you wish to remove, do this:

1. Rename the sounds you wish to remove, to function as backups. The game is now unable to find and play those files.
2. Copy a sound file(s) that you wish to replace each of those removed sounds with.
3. Rename the copied sound file(s) to the name(s) of the sounds you changed in step one. Not doing so may create conflicts when the game tries to play the missing original sounds.

You can still keep the M&C effects while getting rid of the voices. Simply use a music file editing program to cut the parts with the voices out off of the files. If you want to do that, you're on your own, but it is simple enough. You could also theoretically pull new sound files from a French dubbed version of the movie, if such a thing exists, but that would be getting complicated.

Solution 2, if you happen to be feeling particularly lazy:

This one is a bit simpler. Become English. :cheeky

Note that those effects are still better than the stock effects.

Thanks, so if I'm understanding you correctly, it's inadvisable to just remove the particular sounds entirely, and better to replace them with another, to avoid crashes? I have no real problem with the battles being without dialogue, but if that's the case I'll probably just copy over a noise of a gull chirping or something.

Though I have no real desire to hear Frenchmen shout either, I just find that the game plays combat dialogue too frequently so whatever I put there is sure to annoy me to death same as "STARBOARD BATTERY!" has already. So hearing that in French 15+ times during a battle would probably only be marginally better. Nothing against M&C, I thought it was a great movie, but anything repeated ad infinitum like that starts to become gratingly obtuse in short order.

Anyways, thanks again for your informative answer! Btw, how do I change this to "Solved"?

Edit: found the sounds, for anyone else interested: It's in the RESOURCE>Sounds>Interface folder, sounds "_GunReadyL" and "_GunReadyR". I just replaced them with gulls chirping for the time being, later on I may look around for something more suitable, but this is fine for now.

Side note: The "Sex" folder... interesting... very *ahem* interesting...

Back