• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

About difficulty and cannons.

arjunaone

Landlubber
Hello. This is my first post on this forum.
I have been playing the game for very long. Thanks to everyone who make mods for a better gameplay experience.
I realised, no matter how far i'm into the game (over level 20) enemy ships i encounter have always low calibre cannons like 12lbs. This makes game very easy. I checked the Ships_init.c file and even modified and increased refShip.MaxCaliber values to like 32 or more for many big ships but i still saw galeons or even bigger ships with low calibre guns in the game. What can be the reason for this? Does increasing difficulty level makes ships have stronger cannons?

Thanks for the reply.
Why don't people play CoAS? What are they playing instead?
I just tried POTC New Horizons and didn't like the naval warfare. CoAS is much better i think.
No idea about AOP: Caribbean Tales. I'll try it too.

Why don't people play CoAS? What are they playing instead?
Those who play are probably on the Buccaneer's Reef forum.

Some others play PotC, AoP:CT and/or the new SD:TEHO.

I just tried POTC New Horizons and didn't like the naval warfare.
What's wrong with the naval warfare there?
CoAS uses the same game engine, so it should be similar.
A lot can be tweaked with the settings too.
For example; do you like it Arcade or Realistic?

I normally prefer realistic battles. I played around with the settings but didn't get the enjoyment i get from coas' battles. Can't give you exact reasons now. I tend to forget as soon as i uninstall.
But i guess most important was the reason that plundering merchant ships was not profitable. Besides melee combat felt really weird compared to coas'.

Just tried Caribean Tales with the supermod and still it feels incomplete compared to coas. Most annoying was the very high rate of disappearing squadrons i chased in the world map.

I'll also check with the bucaneers reef forum and SD: TEHO as per your advise. Thank you for replying again. Yar a kind soul matey!

I normally prefer realistic battles.
Odd then; from what I know, PotC:NH is the most realistic of the bunch.

But i guess most important was the reason that plundering merchant ships was not profitable.
That would be more an economic thing then.
Hmm...

Besides melee combat felt really weird compared to coas'.
Ah yes; that's definitely a big difference with the later games.
PotC is still very simplistic there.

Back