• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

About Skull & Bones

Pieter Boelen

Navigation Officer
Administrator
Storm Modder
Hearts of Oak Donator

I just posted this comment on that video:
"I made it 8 minutes into this video and I'm not sure I have the heart to continue. You are missing some preeetty major pieces of the puzzle here.

Starting with that "complicated wind dial" of yours.
That's a "polar diagram":
http://www.myhanse.com/uploads/20080331_113019_531_polar3.jpg

This means the developers of Skull & Bones were actually aiming to bring ACTUAL REALISM into what in AC4 was a disturbingly arcadey sailing system.
Trust me. I should know.

My opinion of Skull & Bones just jumped UP several big damn notches based on what you show and explain.
But somehow you sound as if these are bad things.

I'm honestly impressed.
These developers have some GOOD DAMN IDEAS!!!"

I mean, that playable demo was from 2018 and the report mentions the game's development has repeatedly and radically changed directions without a clear plan since then. I think we can assume that whatever they finally deliver (if they ever do, although with all the money Ubisoft has sunk into it, it may be too late to count their losses and cancel it, a that would also mean they'd had to reimburse Singapore's governemnt's investment) will be totally different from that vertical slice.

And ok, the polar diagram is nice if you know what it is and how to interpret it, but if it's just there with no explanation, it's perfectly legitimate for a player to find it confusing and call it out.

Last edited:
I think we can assume that whatever they finally deliver (if they ever do, although with all the money Ubisoft has sunk into it, it may be too late to count their losses and cancel it, a that would also mean they'd had to reimburse Singapore's governemnt's investment) will be totally different from that vertical slice.
That does seem very likely.
Really hope they'll manage to find a nice balance somewhere in the middle.
But I fear it'll be a clusterfuck... :(

And ok, the polar diagram is nice if you know what it is and how to interpret it, but if it's just there with no explanation, it's perfectly legitimate for a player to find it confusing and call it out.
That's what it's a playable Tech Demo for; right?
Expecting full-blown perfection there; and full player-friendly self-explanatory-ness is...
quite unrealistic.

It's fair to wonder what it's there for, of course.
Shame though he just shouts it into the ether with that a big audience of his as if it's a negative thing.
Now all his viewers get a worse opinion of the developers of this game.
Which is the exact opposite of deserved; based on the actual facts.

I'd personally say a responsible person would've asked the developers what it was there for.
If I understand, he played this Tech Demo at a convention.
He must've had opportunity to swap some words with someone actually involved.
Right?
Surely someone was present at the demo who actually was familiar with the demo?

Interesting...

All the audience will ACCEPT from them is "AC4: Black Flag: Multiplayer Edition".
That is what players expect; so releasing something MUCH fancier will just alienate the players.

They're in such a sad pickle; because from earlier articles and interviews,
I gathered the DEVS would really rather release something far more intriguing.

But also, how now do they set themselves apart from Sea of Thieves and Naval Action?

I don't envy them their job.
One way or the other, they've going to get screwed over by the so-called "fans".

All the audience will ACCEPT from them is "AC4: Black Flag: Multiplayer Edition".
That is what players expect; so releasing something MUCH fancier will just alienate the players.

They're in such a sad pickle; because from earlier articles and interviews,
I gathered the DEVS would really rather release something far more intriguing.

But also, how now do they set themselves apart from Sea of Thieves and Naval Action?

I don't envy them their job.
One way or the other, they've going to get screwed over by the so-called "fans".
Sea of thieves also started badly and continues to sell quite a lot or so I think.

I would give it a chance, don't get carried away by what the community says.

Back