• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

add a new item

KillPhil

Corsair
Storm Modder
what do I have to do to add a new item?

I already know that I have to define it in init_items.c but do have to mention it somewhere else?

The description has to go in RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\ItemsDescribe.txt . And edit RESOURCE\Textures\INTERFACES to add more interface files.
You can probably use an existing file because they're not all filled, so then editing RESOURCE\INI\INTERFACES\pictures.ini is not necessary.

What do you want to add?

I want to fullfill the dialogs for tortuga and grand turks a bit, and let them speak about alcohol and his magical power (I think they didn't know about the dangers past then) :D. In grand turks the citizens already say "Now you mention it, I have to go back to de tavern" :D I want to add a few dialogs with "I heard that the dutch import some german beer (yeah, I'm from germany and since I make these dialogs I'm allowed to do that :D :p ) which has some 'magical' powers" :D and I really want to add now this beer:D as potion. I think (idk if its possible) it should take affect like in skyrim or oblivion: +1 on melee and luck, possible a hp-bonus (which also restores the hp) but -1 on accuracy and defense or sth like that. And this effect for like 10 minutes game-time, and for each new beer add more 10 minutes on this effect. And I want that really only the dutch can sell this.

If this is not possible, then a simple health-restoring 'potion' would be enough, too :D

We do have wine and rum in the game, but they're just normal health-restoring potions.
I like your idea though. Would be fun if using alcohol to "heal" yourself has a bit of a negative effect too. :rofl

if we could manage that for beer, we could definitly do these effects for wine and rum, too xD maybe with more time for the effect and bigger effects (e.g. rum +2/-2 points).

Do you know how far my ideas are possible?
I think generally adding/loosing skill-points is no problem but can we make that time-related?
The hp-bonus works also for the cursed coins, so it should work for that, too?
Idk if we can make national traders sell "national" stuff? Wine e.g. works only for the french I think^^

if we could manage that for beer, we could definitly do these effects for wine and rum, too xD maybe with more time for the effect and bigger effects (e.g. rum +2/-2 points).
Do you know how far my ideas are possible?
I'm sure it's possible. Somehow. Would require a fair amount of figuring out though, which I don't really have the time for now. :(

The hp-bonus works also for the cursed coins, so it should work for that, too?
That checks whether you HAVE the item though, not whether you're using it. I'm not sure where the code for that is.
Come to think of it, perhaps Jack Rackham knows?

Idk if we can make national traders sell "national" stuff? Wine e.g. works only for the french I think^^
What traders sell should already depend on nationality. Mainly for the weapons though.
Right now, rum and wine isn't ever sold anywhere. You can get rum at the Brother on Nevis, I think.
And the Martinique tavern owner claims to sell you wine and I had been thinking of actually making him do it.
But right now, rum and wine are the BEST potions in the game. I reckon they shouldn't be. :wp

yes they shouldn't :no alcohol has in every rpg some negative side-effects. we should add them before giving better advantages.
But I think you have to do enough right now and I think I can't figure this out myself. So we put that on the list?^^
For the beginning I can add the item just for fun when I finished the dialogs :yes

Perhaps we can massively reduce the healing effect so they're the WORST healing items, instead of the BEST.
Then we could also afford to give you a bottle of wine each time you pay that Martinique tavern owner.

for now it is surely enough :yes but I'll remember you if we got the major things for now done :p

I don't know if this is some help but I have added a few healing items earlier.
One of the "tobacco". If you search the PROGRAM folder for "tobacco" I guess you find all places
where you have to add things.

Back