• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Need Help All companion ships mute on me automatically.

AB704

Landlubber
I have no single clue what's on hand but I have the impression that I already tried everything I could to solve my problem. This is the rarest of problems and have tried everything and also searched these forums.

I play the assassin story mode with Johan Elting. I'm level 57 with level 10 leadership.

I came up to the point of finally having enough gold to buy only 1st rate ships for my fleet. That's my own ship and the other 3 companion ones in my fleet.
Before that I had óne 1st rate ship and 3 companion spanish war galleons that never muted on me.
I always hide some of my money and then divide the plunder and keep other officers on hand if my reputation changes.
Being not a merchant from the start of the game I have bought a trade license from the EITC a while back. I now have 6.8million personal wealth and never had issues.

I'm a hero and all my officers, the boatswains, the other ones and all passengers are at least neutral up to hero's themselves.
Crew morale is superior - heroic on all 4 ships with enough food and rum.

I actually have just bought the 1st class ships, after sailing to port royal from buying the ships at isla de muerta and nothing was going on, no mutinies or pop-ups. But I needed some cash after buying the ships so I did start a merchant mission at port royal's store.

As soon as I want to leave and go to the sea all my ships appeared red on the minimap and there were no messages or warnings that your ship has turned against you. They were already rendered to be as such.
That shouldn't happen right? Normally I get messages in the top left corner that hints relationship problem on my ships or messages that my companion ship [name] [captain name] has muted against me, which wasn't even the case at one point from buying the new ships and getting to sea from port royal.

The strangest thing is that there were other english ships in the bay area with which I'm friendly with. But they started to attack me as if england was at war with me. But strangely it were only the ships themselves because the fort didn't fire at me and I'm not at war with england. This is by accident perhaps because accidentally having a rare occurance of random english ships attacking me while my other company ships also attack me is vaguely accidental.

The english ships attacking make it seem that this is some kind of bug. Why are there english ships attacking me while the fort stays neutral while relationships are good to begin with? I never had any random english ship attack me.

I also don't run any active missions.

Further things I tried...

I talked to my officer about ship and crew and did the following.

1. Checked Full food and double rum rations.
  2. Divided the plunder again and the crew should be overjoyed. After that I got to the seas and all my ships were enemies regardless.
  3. Changed from divide and plunder to normal salaries, then got to the sea, and still all companion ships attacked.
  4. Checked during both divide and plunder and salary mode about the ships finances and my crew demands no payment.
After that I reloaded the 1st savegame which was when I arrived at port royal after buying the ships at isla de muerta and fired all my officers on the companion ships and got the appropriate good trait ones from neutral to hero.

I tried again and still all ships turned against me. I reloaded back to the point where I hired the new officers and divided the plunder again and still they all attacked after that. I tried one more time by changing to salary payment but it happened again. There are always the english ships in the bay that attack me when I want to leave port. Even if I sleep nights at the tavern nothing changes about it.

Maybe I'm missing a game mechanic here that I should have learned about. I always neglected the message where the loanshark says I have to sell my ships and goods before doing the divide and plunder. Is it possible I go wrong there? It's something I never do.

It doesn't make sense. Do I need to sell all my 1st class ships once every 2-3 months when the crew starts complaining to really buy them back again? What's the point in that?
When I don't put money away and make 10-30 million in 2-3 months I'm always left with 1-2.5million crew money or thereabout and my personal wealth is always much higher then the crew money when I do the divide and plunder. One 1st rate ship costs 3.5million at isla de muerta or thereabout. 2 million wont buy one of them so this seems a financial impossibility.

Can you actually have 4 1st rate ships in your fleet or is this related to reputation?

If you sell the 1st rate ship can you buy them back at the shipyard if they don't sell them (haven't tried yet though) Otherwise I need to go to isla de muerta everytime?
Is this what your supposed to always do, sell your ships then buying them back when doing the divide?
I hope someone can explain this to me.

Offside question: I just didn't want to post another thread so I have another question.
In my playthrough with Johan Elting I never found the quad barrel pistol in the stores. Is there a reason for this?

Is it the timeline playing in? Because John Elting starts in the mid late 17th century. Are there no quad barrel pistols because of the era or do I need some triggering to buy them? I have all the marksman and gunner abilities and I believe any of all the books in the game.

Last edited:
I found out how to fix it, and it was a bug but I don't know what it is.

I berthed all the ships at port royale besides my own one and escaped the english ships in the port and went to the map. Then went to 1st sailing mode again and entered port. Then relaunched the ships and got to sea again and the problem dissapeared. It's quite alot of debugging sometimes having had issues with bugs already, luckily I take the advice "save as much as you can" at heart and don't have any gamebreaks. Kinda coincidentally awkward that it had to happen when buying these 1st rates as I wasted my head on the idea that it was due to level or reputation in order to have such a fleet.

Maybe someone can still help me with the secondary question at the end of my thread concerning the quad barrel gun.

You should not need to sell all your ships before dividing plunder. I never do that either, unless all my secondary ships are captured prizes in which case I sell them as soon as I can regardless of whether it's time to share the loot.

One possible reason for mutiny is that if you have four 1st rate ships of the line, that's a lot of crew. Each individual crewman's prospective share of your gold might not be worth much. And if they reckon that you're not making enough money for them, they might want a more aggressive captain who'll earn them more.

As for the quad-barrel pistol, it is indeed the timeline. It only exists in "Colonial Powers" or later periods. Johan Elting is in the "Spanish Main" period. The quad-barrel pistol is fairly puny anyway, not much better than a brace of short pistols except that you get four weak shots instead of three. What you can get in "Spanish Main" is the short musket, which eats two bullets and two powder per shot and which does about as much damage in one shot as the quad-barrel will do with all four.

Back