• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Application to Help

Luke McReady

Freebooter
Coordinator
Creative Support
Quest Writer
QC Advisor
Ahoy there y'all,

I am fully aware of the games early state, and I'm no programmer, or modeler, atleast not yet.

But I'm here to offer my skills as a quest writer for later on.

I've been a writer all my life, currently working on my first full-length novel. So i'm no beginner on the Story aspect. On top of that... I've always been a huge history geek who many refer to as a walking encyclopedia. by age seven i could identify and name almost every ship class in the European-Style arsenal just on sight alone. and i knew the name and flag of every famous pirate. I was obsessed with all things to do with the Caribbean and its colonization.

So if you need someone who can write some fantastic, realistic, and historically plausible quests, Immersible and curiosity whetting lore, and back story. I'm your guy mates.

I didn't wake up today wanting to be a writer for a videogame, but dang it y'all have caught my attention with this one. and as a gamer, computer geek, writer, and history buff. i couldnt pass up the oppurtunity to atleast offer my services to this cause.

Thank y'all for your time,
Luke

Welcome to the forum, mate! :woot

We won't be getting around to putting any story to use yet, but it'd be great to have some good story content to work from.
Especially mapping out multiple paths/options could definitely be done well in advance though.
And that is probably the way to go to prevent any storylines/sidequests from being too linear/repetitive. :cheers

Ahoy there!:ahoy while we won't have quest-writing needs for quite some time, feel free to pitch in on discussions, its always good to have another knowledgeable mind in the mix :)

I've been a writer all my life, currently working on my first full-length novel. So i'm no beginner on the Story aspect. On top of that... I've always been a huge history geek who many refer to as a walking encyclopedia. by age seven i could identify and name almost every ship class in the European-Style arsenal just on sight alone. and i knew the name and flag of every famous pirate. I was obsessed with all things to do with the Caribbean and its colonization.

Two things for you here:

That sure makes my job a lot easier. Would you also be interested in a role in checking/advising on historical accuracy in the meantime? It hasn't been formalized into an actual job yet, so you'd be free to look at whatever you feel like looking at it whenever you want to look at it. Right now I'm the only person formally doing that, and it's hard to cover everything. Basically all you'd need to do is suggest changes to whatever you come across that isn't accurate.
(It also comes with the "QC Advisor" ribbon.)

If you'd like something to do right away, I started brainstorming for an initial main storyline based on the story of Fortunatus Wright that you could either fix up or throw away completely. At any rate, I think it would be an excellent idea to come up with an outline for a main storyline (set in the Seven Years War, as we've decided) so we know what ships we'll need to model, etc. I have at least one vessel planned that will focus prominently in the storyline, one way or another. It's well-suited to privateering.

Here's the link to the brainstorming for a storyline:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/unofficial-official-brainstorming-thread-first-storyline.19848/

And here's an image of the planned vessel:
It's the one on top.
39.JPG
We can do several versions, and there will hopefully be more than one rig for the model. Right now, I'm looking at a bilander rig, and a ketch rig. The rig can even be changed during the storyline. We can make modifications to the model that can occur during the storyline as well.

Well a good storyline creator is great since we don't have much of them around here either. (I believe most of the storylines are based on films or books, only 2 or something like that aren't. )

Also I think that starting out with a bit of a storyline or side-missions are great. We should make sure there's plenty to do besides the main-story so intriguing side-missions are just as important.

Also I don't know how much experience you have with character building (story/backstory wise) but that's something that should be looked at it since it's great for promotional material to have at least a guy with a bit of story to show.

Two things for you here:

That sure makes my job a lot easier. Would you also be interested in a role in checking/advising on historical accuracy in the meantime? It hasn't been formalized into an actual job yet, so you'd be free to look at whatever you feel like looking at it whenever you want to look at it. Right now I'm the only person formally doing that, and it's hard to cover everything. Basically all you'd need to do is suggest changes to whatever you come across that isn't accurate.
(It also comes with the "QC Advisor" ribbon.)

If you'd like something to do right away, I started brainstorming for an initial main storyline based on the story of Fortunatus Wright that you could either fix up or throw away completely. At any rate, I think it would be an excellent idea to come up with an outline for a main storyline (set in the Seven Years War, as we've decided) so we know what ships we'll need to model, etc. I have at least one vessel planned that will focus prominently in the storyline, one way or another. It's well-suited to privateering.

I'm willing to help out in anyway i can, and if I find a subject i'm not sure of i'm not scared of learning more about it before i make a call. So Yes i would be happy to offer my services as much as i can to QC. might take me a second to get used to the position but i tend to be a quick learner.

And I'll be sure to check the Brainstorming post right away.

But if you don't mind me asking, you said that the agreed upon period is the 7-years war. Are we looking more at taking part in ACTUAL events in the war but with a fictional adaptation (Ex. being Assassin's Creed which uses real events and real people, but the player plays as an important character who was lost to history.) Or are we going with a Fictional parallel where the player see's the historical events going on around him, but is more concerned with the events in his own life in a sense.

And also how linear Vs. Sandbox are we looking to make this exactly? Like are we trying to be like a Tale of Monkey Island, or are we looking more at a Historical Skyrim. I'm just asking all this so i can kinda get in my mind the limitations of what i can do. i realize like you said a ways from being all put together but I feel sure you know, knowing these details well in advance helps. lol and for me personally knowing exactly what has been decided and what hasn't will allow me to do a better job on my end.

Ahoy Luke, thanks for offering to help! I've added you to the Quest Writers group for now, though if you want to be part of QC as well, let me know. :doff

Ahoy Luke, thanks for offering to help! I've added you to the Quest Writers group for now, though if you want to be part of QC as well, let me know. :doff

I'd be more than happy to be mate :D

I'm willing to help out in anyway i can, and if I find a subject i'm not sure of i'm not scared of learning more about it before i make a call. So Yes i would be happy to offer my services as much as i can to QC. might take me a second to get used to the position but i tend to be a quick learner.

And I'll be sure to check the Brainstorming post right away.

But if you don't mind me asking, you said that the agreed upon period is the 7-years war. Are we looking more at taking part in ACTUAL events in the war but with a fictional adaptation (Ex. being Assassin's Creed which uses real events and real people, but the player plays as an important character who was lost to history.) Or are we going with a Fictional parallel where the player see's the historical events going on around him, but is more concerned with the events in his own life in a sense.

And also how linear Vs. Sandbox are we looking to make this exactly? Like are we trying to be like a Tale of Monkey Island, or are we looking more at a Historical Skyrim. I'm just asking all this so i can kinda get in my mind the limitations of what i can do. i realize like you said a ways from being all put together but I feel sure you know, knowing these details well in advance helps. lol and for me personally knowing exactly what has been decided and what hasn't will allow me to do a better job on my end.

I think we're looking at a Fictional Parallel at the moment. Historical Skyrim describes it pretty well, I think.

For QC, you can even just concentrate on subjects that you know now.

I think we're looking at a Fictional Parallel at the moment. Historical Skyrim describes it pretty well, I think.

For QC, you can even just concentrate on subjects that you know now.

So other than the basics of what we're looking for... nothing has been decided on other than the exact period....

I'm gonna enjoy this. lol let me skim over that thread you posted and ill begin working on my suggestion.

I'd be more than happy to be mate :D
OK, you're in the QC Advisors team as well. If you could add a brief summary of your expertise in your signature (like Post Captain did), that would be helpful to others. :)

Indeed eventually the game should be just as enjoyable in "random play" as when playing any of the main/side-quests.
Ideally, I'd certainly like to see a lot of replay value, so with different choices along the way, etc.
We could have the player influence historic events or go off on their own.

If we compare to our PotC modpack, there are a lot of different type stories there too.
- Hornblower and Jack Sparrow based on books/films
- Assassin and Bartolomeu o Portugues, loosely based on real events with a lot of additional cool stuff added in
- Woodes Rogers mixing historical characters with a lot of puzzles

Back